Thread: Future Updates?

Registered Users

Future Updates?

Do you think Natgeo will ever make any updates to the profiles of its pre Helix members? They still have my haplogroup listed as I-P30. Every other company I see at least refers to I1 as I-M253 or a lower subclade. Should they have run our raw data through the new Helix algorithm to give us updated ethnicity results. Ancestry, FTDNA, and 23andMe seem to care about their current customer base by updating their websites with new features. What about Natgeo?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

I don't know. When people took the Geno 2.0 NG pre-Helix they were promised updated results with more areas but it has been many months now and all they seem to do is update the Helix people. They better not have messed over the pre-Helix people.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by wombatofthenorth View Post
    I don't know. When people took the Geno 2.0 NG pre-Helix they were promised updated results with more areas but it has been many months now and all they seem to do is update the Helix people. They better not have messed over the pre-Helix people.
    From what I understand from a poster on a different forum is that Helix is run by a different company that does a different kind of DNA analysis. Furthermore, the pre Helix next generation DNA info is not compatible with the new algorithms. So basically I think the pre Helix customers like myself are **** out of luck.
    Last edited by mwauthy; 09-09-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Error

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    From what I understand from a poster on a different forum is that Helix is run by a different company that does a different kind of DNA analysis. Furthermore, the pre Helix next generation DNA info is not compatible with the new algorithms. So basically I think the pre Helix customers like myself are **** out of luck.
    that is BS, they had clearly planned to add in the new regions using the SNPs the old chip tested and if they ended up only bothering doing the work for the new SNPs after promising 100% that the pre-Helix people would get updates, just total BS, they didn't even give any discount to those who took Geno 2.0 non-Helix right after Geno 2.0 and then they lie about updates and pop out a new Helix version just a year later?

they should run the non-Helix people through it for free, there can't even be all that many of them

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

some of the few customers they had going around pushing their test are the ones they want to just dump off?
    seems like a way to be cent wise and dollar foolish, maybe that is Murdoch for you, he took over and Wells left

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by wombatofthenorth View Post
    some of the few customers they had going around pushing their test are the ones they want to just dump off?
    seems like a way to be cent wise and dollar foolish, maybe that is Murdoch for you, he took over and Wells left
    I'm not a big fan of the Natgeo product. I only signed up because I liked Wells and thought I was contributing towards science. Out of the major companies I think they were the least accurate and informative. The new Helix regions seem even less informative since the Northwestern category includes land all the way from Norway to Ireland. Results seem very similar to Geneplaza which is much cheaper.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the Natgeo product. I only signed up because I liked Wells and thought I was contributing towards science. Out of the major companies I think they were the least accurate and informative. The new Helix regions seem even less informative since the Northwestern category includes land all the way from Norway to Ireland. Results seem very similar to Geneplaza which is much cheaper.
    I like their tests and their Geno 2.0 was very stable and their Geno 2.0 NG at least gave reference samples unlike FTDNA and much better maps (and the Helix ones seems to be better than MyOrigins 2.0 from the very little I have seen of it). Their haplogroup presentation is also the best of all the companies. FTDNA FamilyFinder is easily the least informative and also seems to give the least detail and have the highest random factor.

But not sure I like how the company is starting to handle aspects like upgrades and updates since Murdoch.