Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the most accurate GEDmatch calculator for South Asian ancestry?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapporo View Post
    No worries man. I just wish he defined his categories better or perhaps alluded to if they were from an academic set or volunteers who provided their raw data. You're right about the HGDP Pathans though. Their range is insane. I don't think all of them should be used when creating an average for a calculator. Maybe take the 10 most similar samples with the least deviation in admixture scores? It would eliminate the 4-5 biggest outliers.

Fair point. I don't think Sindhi-shifted is the appropriate term either. They're all of Lohana origin no? Hindu Lohanas whether Gujarati/Sindhi or Muslim Lohanas such as Khoja/Memons? Although, I don't think it's inaccurate to say they're all ultimately of Lohana origin and at some point can trace their origin back to the Lohana community of Sindh regardless of whether they identify as Gujarati or Sindhi today.

I'd also differentiate them from modern day Muslim Sindhis living in Pakistan like the HGDP Sindhi of which some are especially Baloch shifted and less Steppe shifted (in contrast to some Lohana). It kind of makes the term Sindhi-shifted moot since not all Sindhi have the same ancestry or West Asian/Steppe shift. A Baloch shifted Muslim Sindhi would score rather distinctly than a more Steppe shifted Hindu Sindhi.
    I was still editing my post when your replied and I guess we ended up saying the same thing. I definitely don't think it's inaccurate to say that basically: all roads lead to Sindh.
    At least in relation to the populations we are talking about.

About the Pathan samples, there are definitely major outliers. When I'm less lazy, I'll go through and run everyone and I'll post it in some thread and we can figure out how to group the samples.
    That being said, I'm going to just plot all the samples I run anyways; so you can just see if you are swimming around a bunch of Pathan labeled circles or Jatt ones, or both.

BTW. I am running like 30-50 samples everyday in a random calculator. I figure I'll just post the whole enchilada when I'm done with 2-3 calculator lists. Admittedly, I haven't run squat on the MDLP K16 yet though. Just 20 samples so far. I'll add that to the rotation.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 09-14-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Sapporo (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Kutchi language is very similar to Sindhi. I believe it's actually closer to Sindhi than it is to Gujarati proper.
    That is correct. Kutchi is a Northwestern Indo-Aryan/Indic language, in the same zone/branch as Sindhi as compared to Gujarati which falls under the Western Indo-Aryan/Indic branch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutchi_language

Sindhi Lohanas (those who migrated from Sind after partition of India), Kutchi Lohanas (those living or having ancestry in Kutch), and those of Gujarati Lohanas (those living or having ancestry in Saurashtra). Historically, I believe all Lohana originate from Sindh. Those in Kutch and Saurashtra are supposed to have migrated after Sindh fell under Muslim rule of Muhammad bin Qasim. Hindu Sindhis either faced pressure to convert to Islam or face persecution. There's a bit more history to it but eventually they began to migrate toward Kutch and Saurashtra. Over time, the Lohana migrants assimilated into Gujarati culture and primarily divided into Kutchi and Saurashtra Lohana.
    In the Chachnama, a Lohana chief, Agham Lohana is mentioned to be the governor of Brahmnabad/Mansura under the last Buddhist king of Sindh, Sahasi II. He is also mentioned as being a Buddhist. After Sahasi II was murdered and had his throne usurped by the Brahmin Chach, Agham Lohana was killed when he refused to surrender.
    Sindh was Buddhist majority before the Islamic period.

http://persian.packhum.org/persian//main
    (original version of the Chachnama)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thatagus For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (09-14-2017),  MonkeyDLuffy (09-15-2017),  pegasus (09-15-2017),  Reza (09-15-2017),  Sapporo (09-14-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    (Jammu) Dogra
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a (R-M124)
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b1a1a1

Canada Jammu and Kashmir India
    most accurate? Idk but the one I like is Harappa

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bored For This Useful Post:

Reza (09-15-2017)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657
    mtDNA (M)
    M4b1

Quote Originally Posted by bored View Post
    most accurate? Idk but the one I like is Harappa
    I still like referencing back to harappa. Familiarity?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Y91197
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    I still like referencing back to harappa. Familiarity?
    Has the most South Asian/South Central Asian academic reference populations combined with a plethora of data from South Asian/South Central Asian individual participants of various tribes, castes, ethno-religious groups, etc. to create the most comprehensive population sample base for the region. Now, the admixture categories themselves are completely outdated with the discovery of so many ancient genomes but if Zack ever returned to the project and modified it with ancient samples and hopefully soon to be released ancient South Asian genomes, it would certainly be the top admixture calculator for the region once again.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sapporo For This Useful Post:

BMG (09-15-2017),  bored (09-15-2017),  MonkeyDLuffy (09-15-2017),  Reza (09-15-2017),  Zayd (09-15-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Yea I've strange likeness for harappa as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

Reza (09-15-2017)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657
    mtDNA (M)
    M4b1

Has the most South Asian/South Central Asian academic reference populations combined with a plethora of data from South Asian/South Central Asian individual participants of various tribes, castes, ethno-religious groups, etc. to create the most comprehensive population sample base for the region. Now, the admixture categories themselves are completely outdated with the discovery of so many ancient genomes but if Zack ever returned to the project and modified it with ancient samples and hopefully soon to be released ancient South Asian genomes, it would certainly be the top admixture calculator for the region once again.
    I live in hope. That he's not retired for good.

You're exactly right - it was the comprehensive sampling of all the various groups that makes harappaworld and the oracle still a valuable tool. On the older calculators, my choices were between Singapore Indian, Punjabi and Malayali.

PS Immortal - not sure who you are - but easier to discuss on here than youtube (!).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Reza For This Useful Post:

Sapporo (09-15-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Y91197
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    @ackkracck

Saw you discussing the Native American on youtube. It's not melanesian ancestry but rather shared ANE (Ancestral North Eurasian) ancestry with Native Americans/Amerindians. It's quite common throughout parts of South Asia and South Central Asia.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Y91197
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    PS Immortal - not sure who you are - but easier to discuss on here than youtube (!).
    Pretty sure he's former banned member of Gujarati origins. Has a lot to say about South Asian genetics but has never actually got himself tested (or perhaps he has but has never shared it). The way he's making up West Eurasian estimates via Harappa and outdated admixture runs says a lot. Completely ignoring all the information we've learned since ancient genomes have been discovered.
    Last edited by Sapporo; 09-15-2017 at 06:00 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapporo For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (09-15-2017),  Reza (09-15-2017)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657
    mtDNA (M)
    M4b1

Pretty sure he's former banned member of Gujarati origins. Has a lot to say about South Asian genetics but has never actually got himself tested (or perhaps he has but has never shared it). The way he's making up West Eurasian estimates via Harappa and outdated admixture runs says a lot. Completely ignoring all the information we've learned since ancient genomes have been discovered.
    Yeah, and an unhealthy obsession with who can win the medal for least ASI. That goes for both sides of that strange debate.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reza For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (09-15-2017),  Sapporo (09-15-2017),  Tsakhur (09-27-2017)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast