Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: You're sure of Jewish ancestors, yet you got a low score with the Jtest? (<1%)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by soso View Post
    I'm 19.76% AJ on the Jtest and only have one Jewish parent
    Is your non-Jewish parent slavic or something with Italian?
    Has your Jewish parent a kit @gedmatch by any chance? If yes, what does he or she score with the Jtest?
    Last edited by Sergi; 09-21-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

The Ashkenazi segments are usually distributed unevenly across the genome, so it's possible that the Ashkenazi parent passes on more or less than 50% of what gets picked up by the Jtest.
    Even unmixed Jews with a score above 30% show smaller segments devoid of any Ashkenazi admixture in the Jtest chromosome painting.
    If you inherit such a sequence, it doesn't add Ashkenazi to your Jtest, but matches with Ashkenazim kits on one-to-many.

So, the Jtest picks up Ashkenazim-specific or affine ancestry and neglects the less unique parts while the one-to-many matches with Ashkenazi Jews shows up every larger segment you share with them, without discriminating between specific and commonly shared segments.
    Last edited by Nive1526; 09-21-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy Scotland
    here is a painting of my chromosomes... Jtest and Dodecad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JerryS.; 09-21-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi View Post
    Is your non-Jewish parent slavic or something with Italian?
    Has your Jewish parent a kit gedmatch by any chance? If yes, what does he or she score with the Jtest?
    Non-Jewish parent is 25% Italian (by genealogy, not admixture) with no known Jewish ancestors (but it's possible), Jewish parent scores around 35% on the Jtest. So all of the admixture tests show me as between 59-65% Jewish and Jtest has me at 19.76% but with only one Jewish parent. I'm guessing I inherited half of my Jewish parent's AJ, and all of my 25% Italian parent's AJ. Seems statistically unlikely, but still possible. Weird, right?

Registered Users
    Sex

It's best to compare your Jtest chromosome painting to the EUtest because both calculators use almost the same population references.
    The EUtest has the files removed that are used to create the Ashkenazi cluster in the Jtest.
    By comparing one to another, you can see where your Ashkenazi score is derived from, most of the time, it shows up as largely East_Med.
    The same goes for the admixture proportions. My 4.98% Ashkenazi breaks down into:

SOUTH_BALTIC 0.03
    EAST_EURO 0.28
    NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 0.32
    ATLANTIC 0.72
    WEST_MED 0.66
    EAST_MED 1.57
    WEST_ASIAN 0.68
    MIDDLE_EASTERN 0.54
    SOUTH_ASIAN 0.07
    WEST_AFRICAN 0.11

If the scores for Mediterranean and West Asian clusters are above your population reference given from the spreadsheet, it's less likely to be noise, but I am not quite sure how to interpret my own data.
    I think it's real AJ, while a friend told me that inflated Middle Eastern and Mediterranean is not that unusual for Southern Germans (my closest paper trail population) and a result from more ancient peoples settling there.
    My Eurogenes EUTest:

SOUTH_BALTIC 15.31
    EAST_EURO 4.30
    NORTH-CENTRAL_EURO 26.92
    ATLANTIC 24.11
    WEST_MED 12.96
    EAST_MED 9.49
    WEST_ASIAN 5.71
    MIDDLE_EASTERN 0.54
    SOUTH_ASIAN 0.24
    EAST_AFRICAN -
    EAST_ASIAN -
    SIBERIAN -
    WEST_AFRICAN 0.44
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Sex

For me, 4 out of my 5 closest matches on Family Finder are Jewish.

Yes I get 0 in JTest

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by soso View Post
    Non-Jewish parent is 25% Italian (by genealogy, not admixture) with no known Jewish ancestors (but it's possible), Jewish parent scores around 35% on the Jtest. So all of the admixture tests show me as between 59-65% Jewish and Jtest has me at 19.76% but with only one Jewish parent. I'm guessing I inherited half of my Jewish parent's AJ, and all of my 25% Italian parent's AJ. Seems statistically unlikely, but still possible. Weird, right?
    I think you score extra high due to the Italian part of your non-Jewish parent. Plus your Jewish parent scores very high on the Jtest since, I could be wrong, around 20/25% normally means fully Jewish. I also have some Jewish matches that score 37-39% Ashkenazi on the Jtest, so I guess it's possible

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456