Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y40511
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1-a2h2d2a1a2

Finland
    I have their new 4x offering with 2 weeks delivery running.. they acked receiving the sample on last Friday. That will tell if they are still up to their old tricks. I also have one 30x going when they introduced the 90 day guarantee.. i'm guessing they forgot one zero from it..

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tontsa For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (10-01-2019),  pmokeefe (10-01-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian - Punjabi Jatt
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2-SK2142 > Y1383*
    mtDNA (M)
    U7a3a5a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z2109 > Y84821
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a1a (185G)

England United Kingdom India Punjab India
    Quote Originally Posted by tontsa View Post
    I have their new 4x offering with 2 weeks delivery running.. they acked receiving the sample on last Friday. That will tell if they are still up to their old tricks. I also have one 30x going when they introduced the 90 day guarantee.. i'm guessing they forgot one zero from it..
    Another AG user here purchased three 4x kits from Dante. I'll post the timeline here when the results arrive.
    YFull: YF72440 (FTDNA - IN41220)

Ancestral Haplos (Punjabi Jatt):
    * Father: R2-SK2142 > Y1383* - M5a1a (185G)
    * Maternal Uncle: R1b-Z2109 > Y84821 - U7a3a5a
    * MGMs MGF: R1a-Z93 > Y7 - ?

Friends Haplos:
    * North Moroccan Berber: E-M35 > M81 - R0
    * Han Chinese: O-M117 > F1531 - M7e
    * Gujarati Lohana: T-M70 > Y11151 - R30b1

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronbee2010 For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (10-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

I ordered my kit back in mid-February and they got the kit back from me on February 25. A month ago, on September 2, I got this email from Dante:
    Where is your kit?

Why is it taking so long to receive your results?

As the CEO of Dante Labs, I am aware that these questions are popping in your mind. The responsibility is ours, and primarily mine. You deserve an answer.

[snip excuses]

As a result, today, approximately 84% of all our samples received by the end of July have been sequenced. This numbers was below 70% in June (apple to apple comparison). We plan to finish the entire backlog of samples by mid October.
    Miffed, I asked them how that is so when mine is still listed as "QC completed." Their reply:
    Your sample is also being sequenced as with all our samples. We mention the June and July samples to explain how far along we are in releasing the data for our customers especially the ones that were before June.
    So what is 84% of? Clearly not the samples received in July; maybe all of the kits they ordered from inception through the end of July? Maybe just a random number?

But a month later, their new and improved dashboard still has the bubble filled at "QC Completed," with "Sequencing Started" still grayed out, shriveled and lonely in the future half of the timeline:
    Your Kit will be Sequenced Shortly

Your kit has passed the quality care inspection and is scheduled to be sequenced shortly. After sequencing is complete your results will be posted soon after.
    It seems that someone is being less than honest. But hey, it's not mid-October (yet), so I guess they left themselves a little wiggle room.

I do have to say, a dishonest apology with more empty promises leaves me a lot less satisfied than I was just sitting around waiting with radio silence and low expectations.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ntk For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (10-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Czech
    Nationality
    Czech
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y14088
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1i

Czech Republic Austria Austrian Empire Bohemia Carinthia
    3 kits delivered to Dante in Italy on April 4th, their reply today:

Thanks for reaching out and apology for the delayed results.

The kits are still in the process and the FASTQ files are not ready. We are also battling with a backlog of result to be released right now, but your results will be availed in the next few weeks. You will be notified by email when we have a more precise timeline for your results.

Thanks for your patience and apology for the inconvenience.
    Y-DNA: R-Y14088 (ISOGG: R1b1a1a2a1a2b1c2b1a1a)
    mtDNA: J1c1i (J1c1 + 7735G and 8848C) Extras: 198T 12007A 16422C 16431A

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petr For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (10-02-2019),  pmokeefe (10-02-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian - Punjabi Jatt
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2-SK2142 > Y1383*
    mtDNA (M)
    U7a3a5a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z2109 > Y84821
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a1a (185G)

England United Kingdom India Punjab India
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonev View Post
    Just decided to ask Dante Labs for a price for upgrading options from 30x to 50x for former users like me. One of them, ​Nat, twice replied that there is nothing like this- price upgrade.
    Quoting "If you are considering getting the 50X, you would need to have that one purchased."
    Thats it as of tonight......
    It appears they've taken the 50x test off their store, which is a shame. They've replaced it with their previously-seen 130x exome + 30x rest-of-genome service.

I can see why they've done it though. 130x exome coverage is very good for health reasons, and they don't seem to market themselves to people interested in genealogy.
    YFull: YF72440 (FTDNA - IN41220)

Ancestral Haplos (Punjabi Jatt):
    * Father: R2-SK2142 > Y1383* - M5a1a (185G)
    * Maternal Uncle: R1b-Z2109 > Y84821 - U7a3a5a
    * MGMs MGF: R1a-Z93 > Y7 - ?

Friends Haplos:
    * North Moroccan Berber: E-M35 > M81 - R0
    * Han Chinese: O-M117 > F1531 - M7e
    * Gujarati Lohana: T-M70 > Y11151 - R30b1

Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronbee2010 For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (10-02-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z142
    mtDNA (M)
    H10g

Quote Originally Posted by tontsa View Post
    I ordered one as well as I noticed they were advertising their new European lab that was opened on 1st of September.

Registered Users
    Sex

You could still get twice 30X, although I'm not sure if they'd do the bioinformatics combining. Also I forgot what the previous test cost, but 2x30X seems somewhat better option if you really deserve that. I can't imagine that being meaningfully better for genealogy though; that has it's own challenges but not really sequencing-depth constrained once you're at around 30X. Trying your luck on hard to sequence Y chromosome SNP's perhaps, perhaps. The WGS+WES is actually kinda interesting from technical standpoint because they don't combine so readily, both sequences would normally need separate analysis. I don't know if they deliver it like that.

Registered Users
    Sex

Long sequences were supposedly done at their Italian lab too, but they're still having schedule problems with those. Although the timestamps on my FASTQ seem to indicate they sequenced it months ago (even before I sent them e-mails asking why it was "waiting for QC" for months) but made the FASTQ available only yesterday. So... I certainly wouldn't hold my breath for the delivery schedule. Still, they seem to be the most affordable and in some cases only option out there, but missing delivery promises does hurt their reputation. Oddly enough when other companies constantly do it, I don't see people "rioting" calling them a fraud or threatening suing them, though. I wonder is this because of poor expectation management, social media management, affordable price-point where different crowd buys them, them being newcomers to the scene, people being fans of different company, or something else?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-FGC29071
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1b1g*

Ireland England Netherlands Germany France
    I wonder if it just isn’t the volume of tests they may be handling. The one data guy claims to have to work through a petabyte backlog. That would indicate over 4,000 30x WGS BAMs and FASTQ files have been processed. Consider unhappy customers are 3x more likely to leave any kind of feedback and things don’t look so bad.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by JamesKane View Post
    I wonder if it just isn’t the volume of tests they may be handling. The one data guy claims to have to work through a petabyte backlog. That would indicate over 4,000 30x WGS BAMs and FASTQ files have been processed. Consider unhappy customers are 3x more likely to leave any kind of feedback and things don’t look so bad.
    I mean that's nice to be optimistic and all, but that doesn't do much for me when they had my kit in February and I'm still stuck at "QC completed." Meanwhile they've since had huge sales where they guaranteed results in 90 days and they are still advertising full data in 8 to 10 weeks on new sales, and they are claiming on other forums that they are down to 1,200 kits outstanding. Do you not see anything wrong with this picture?

They told me specifically a month ago that my kit is "also being sequenced as with all our samples," but their dashboard still says it hasn't started.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ntk For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (10-03-2019)

Page 91 of 124 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast