Thread: DF99 (P312>DF99)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Roaring View Post
    Are you shure that his surname is Czech (slavic)? Czechs often have slavified German surnames that may appear slavic-like for people witout deep knowledge.
    Is there a reference document for "slavified German" surnames? My mothers side has about one quarter Scottish/English but the rest is all Czech.... Kulhanek, Kovarik, Vana, Sestak, Petracek. My Mom's auDNA has some East Europe but has more West Europe (centering on mid-southern Germany). The leader of their immigration group after an 1848 Prague Rebellion was named John Herman.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    DF27, FGC15733
    mtDNA
    T2f3

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    The leader of their immigration group after an 1848 Prague Rebellion was named John Herman.
    That's a familiar name, of Czech/Bohemian origin, in the Chesapeake Bay area's earlier colonial history. (Perhaps also in New York and New Jersey, although I never spent much time studying that.) In case you haven't run across cousin Augustine, he produced a famous map in 1673 or so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_Herman

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA
    J2a1a

England Denmark Wales Scotland Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaring View Post
    Are you shure that his surname is Czech (slavic)? Czechs often have slavified German surnames that may appear slavic-like for people witout deep knowledge.
    It would be hard to find anyone who has less knowledge of Slavic surnames than me, but it doesn't look like any German surname I know of, so I am assuming it is Czech. I have asked him about the origin of his surname, but haven't as yet heard back from him.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA
    J2a1a

I have not yet heard from the new DF99 in the Czech Republic yet, but I can report that his ancestry goes back to the 17th C. in eastern Moravia. There was a German minority there, but they were all expelled after WWII. My guess is that his family is not of recent German origin. This area was once home to the Celtic Boli, but I read that they withdrew from the area and were replaced in the Migration Era by a variety of Germanic tribes, including the Marcomanni and the Quadi. They were later overwhelmed by the arrival of the Slavic tribes. Since P312 in general and DF99 specifically aren't likely to have been present in the early Slavic tribes, I think we must look for an earlier origin of the Czech DF99.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA
    J2a1a

Quote Originally Posted by razyn View Post
    That's a familiar name, of Czech/Bohemian origin, in the Chesapeake Bay area's earlier colonial history. (Perhaps also in New York and New Jersey, although I never spent much time studying that.) In case you haven't run across cousin Augustine, he produced a famous map in 1673 or so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_Herman
    I don't have much doubt that Herman in Bohemia was originally Hermann and of German origin. I don't have enough knowledge to comment about the other Czech surnames listed by Mike.
    Last edited by GoldenHind; 04-19-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667