Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bunjevci / Bunjevacs / Буњевци

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Nationality
    Dutch

I am doing genealogical research. In 1697 there was the batlle at Senta. An anscestor came to western Europe. His familyname is : Ikats, Ikacz , Ikač , Икач. The name seems to be orginal from Dalmatia. Round 1685 is moved to the north.
    In Vojvodina the name Ikac is to be find in Subotica, Sombor and other places. Also in Southern Hungary and Croatia.

I think this is a serious site, so I hope someone can help me to solve this "problem". So my question is Ikac,Ikač.. (Икач-Бенковац, Коларина-.Св. Георгије)
    a name of Bunjevci origin ? Maybe this question should be in the genealogical section, but the subject is here.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Ikacz; 04-03-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikacz View Post
    I am doing genealogical research. In 1697 there was the batlle at Senta. An anscestor came to western Europe. His familyname is : Ikats, Ikacz , Ikač , Икач. The name seems to be orginal from Dalmatia. Round 1685 is moved to the north.
    In Vojvodina the name Ikac is to be find in Subotica, Sombor and other places. Also in Southern Hungary and Croatia.

I think this is a serious site, so I hope someone can help me to solve this "problem". So my question is Ikac,Ikač.. (Икач-Бенковац, Коларина-.Св. Георгије)
    a name of Bunjevci origin ? Maybe this question should be in the genealogical section, but the subject is here.
    Thank you.
    Ikač is mostly Croatian name, but I don't know is it specifically Bunjevac. Probably yes, because most Croats in Subotica and Sombor are Bunjevac.
    https://actacroatica.com/en/surname/Ika%C4%8D/

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Ikacz View Post

Thank you.
    Ikac / Ikač is not among Bunjevac surname in Subotica (not now, not in history) and it is not among Bunjevac group in Lika. So, I don't believe there is any relation between Ikac and Bunjevac ethnic group.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Ikač is mostly Croatian name, but I don't know is it specifically Bunjevac. Probably yes, because most Croats in Subotica and Sombor are Bunjevac.
    https://actacroatica.com/en/surname/Ika%C4%8D/
    1. Acta Croatica is not good source because every surname there is ''croatian'' just because it actually exist in Republic of Croatia. It doesn't mean that people with that surname are Croats.
    2. Like I said in the begging, I don't want to put any label for Bunjevac - croatian, serbian or any other. Bunjevac didn't declare themselves as Croats or Serbs and they have right to declare themselves whatever they like. And many of them don't like to be ''Croats'', only Bunjevac. Also, first Croats in Subotica are noted in 1890. because 19 inhabitants of the city spoke croatian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macura View Post
    1. Acta Croatica is not good source because every surname there is ''croatian'' just because it actually exist in Republic of Croatia. It doesn't mean that people with that surname are Croats.
    2. Like I said in the begging, I don't want to put any label for Bunjevac - croatian, serbian or any other. Bunjevac didn't declare themselves as Croats or Serbs and they have right to declare themselves whatever they like. And many of them don't like to be ''Croats'', only Bunjevac. Also, first Croats in Subotica are noted in 1890. because 19 inhabitants of the city spoke croatian.
    All but 20 000 Bunjevci in Serbia declare as Croats, and there are around million Bunjevci descendants in Croatia, Hungary and Serbia.

Even majority of Bunjevci in Serbia declare as Croats.

20 000 Bunjevci as separate ethnicity is huge minority among all Bunjevci.

There are some Serbs in Croatia who declare as Croat. so what ?
    Last edited by Feiichy; 04-30-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a>L1029>Y133383
    mtDNA
    H11a2*-146+

Albania Kosovo Macedonia United States of America Sweden Greece
    Quote Originally Posted by Macura View Post
    Bunjevacs are South Slavic ethnic group settled in various areas of ex-Yugoslavia (Lika, Dalmatia, Bačka) and southern Hungary.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunjevci
    I don't have any attention to prove or denying their affiliation - are they autochthonous group, part of Croatian nation or just roman-catholic Serbs. I just want to see what yDNA results will end up for them because, so far, there are no published DNA results (yDNA, mtDNA or auDNA) for Bunjevacs. Results are collected from various public databases, personal matches and testing which result are still not published (I participated in it, so I have a knowledge about results).
    For Lika Bunjevac group, I took DNA results for the surnames based on Stjepan Pavičić book and for Bačka Bunjevac, surnames based on the book by Jovan Erdeljanović and other notorious Bunjevac's surnames in the region.
    I would really appreciate if this thread don't become ''a war'' between Serbs and Croats and if it's possible, potential discussion could be on serbian, croatian, serbo-croatian or bunjevac language

This are yDNA result for Bunjevacs in total (Lika, Dalmatia, Bačka):
    50.0% - R1a (most of them Z280)
    29.0% - I2a Dinaric (so far PH908 is only proven subclade)
    10.6% - R1b (eastern and western branches)
    2.6% - I1, E1b, G2a and J1

Most of them are Bunjevacs from Lika and Velebitsko Podgorje, so if we look at them:
    51.6% - R1a (so far M458 not found but still plenty of room to find it)
    25.9% - I2a Din
    12.9% - R1b
    3.2% - I1, G2a, J1

The amount of R1a + I2a Din indicates significant Slavic origin of Bunjevacs. So called experts from Serbia propagated ''absolute domination'' of Dinaric hg among Bunjevacs, even declared ''Bunjevac cluster'' although none of the surnames in that ''cluster'' was not recognize as Bunjevacs by any author. Results for Lika group denies those claims but Bačka group could make some changes in those percentages.
    Isn't Tesla part of 'Lika'? He was R1a-M458>L1029
    Known Ancestry: Albanian
    23andme results: 94% Balkan, 0.9% Italian, 0.8% Middle Eastern, 2.2% broadly southern European, 0.3 British & Irish, 0.3% Japanese, 0.5% unassigned
    MyOrigins2.0: 100% Southeast European
    MyAncientOrigins: 62% Farmer, 24% Hunter Gatherer, 14% Metal Age Invader
    MyHeritage: 76% Greek, 16% Balkan, 8% Italian
    WeGene: 99.5% Balkan, 0.5% unassigned
    GenePlaza: 92.7% East Mediterranean, 5.2% Southwestern European, 1.5% Ambiguous
    DNA.LAND: 95% Balkan, 5% Sardinian

Gold Member Class
    Ethnicity
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z63>Y6228
    mtDNA
    H5c

There's a pretty big list of notable people born in the Lika region. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lika

Other than Tesla and others, Omer Pasha Latas is quite a fascinating historical figure in my opinion. Although he probably isn't liked by anyone, Croats, Serbs or Bosnian muslims. I wonder what Turks think of him, I'd assume very positively.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Croatian
    Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA
    J-M241>L283>Z631
    mtDNA
    N1b1c

Croatia Croatia Split-Dalmatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibran View Post
    Isn't Tesla part of 'Lika'? He was R1a-M458>L1029
    Tesla was from Lika but wasn't a Bunjevac. When his ancestors settled Lika they were classified as Vlasi (Vlachs) and were all Serbian Orthodox and became part of the Serbian ethnos. Bunjevci were classified as Bunjevci upon arrival in Lika as one of the five groups populating the region and were 'Catholic Vlachs' who joined the Croatian corpus. I just finished reading a few books on the history of the peopling of this region so feel free to ask more questions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Illyro-Vlach For This Useful Post:

Dibran (01-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a>L1029>Y133383
    mtDNA
    H11a2*-146+

Albania Kosovo Macedonia United States of America Sweden Greece
    Quote Originally Posted by Illyro-Vlach View Post
    Tesla was from Lika but wasn't a Bunjevac. When his ancestors settled Lika they were classified as Vlasi (Vlachs) and were all Serbian Orthodox and became part of the Serbian ethnos. Bunjevci were classified as Bunjevci upon arrival in Lika as one of the five groups populating the region and were 'Catholic Vlachs' who joined the Croatian corpus. I just finished reading a few books on the history of the peopling of this region so feel free to ask more questions.
    Thanks. Do some vlachs have L1029? Or perhaps his ancestors were Proto-Slavs assimilated into Vlachs and then assimilated into the Serbian ethnos later. I know alot of Romanians have L1029. I am not sure if some Vlachs have it as well(by way of assimilation of proto-slavs in the early middle ages). Do we know of any Lika settlers in West Macedonia? There is an Albanian family in the Diber region of Albania and Macedonia with the surname Lika. I am uncertain what it may mean in Albanian and possibly being a coincidence or if its linked to middle age settlers from that region who took the name as a reminder? My paternal grandmothers maternal side were Lika from Diber in Eastern Albania.
    Last edited by Dibran; 01-04-2019 at 04:21 PM.
    Known Ancestry: Albanian
    23andme results: 94% Balkan, 0.9% Italian, 0.8% Middle Eastern, 2.2% broadly southern European, 0.3 British & Irish, 0.3% Japanese, 0.5% unassigned
    MyOrigins2.0: 100% Southeast European
    MyAncientOrigins: 62% Farmer, 24% Hunter Gatherer, 14% Metal Age Invader
    MyHeritage: 76% Greek, 16% Balkan, 8% Italian
    WeGene: 99.5% Balkan, 0.5% unassigned
    GenePlaza: 92.7% East Mediterranean, 5.2% Southwestern European, 1.5% Ambiguous
    DNA.LAND: 95% Balkan, 5% Sardinian

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bosnian Serb
    Y-DNA
    U152>Z36>A7981*
    mtDNA
    U4c1a

Quote Originally Posted by Illyro-Vlach View Post
    I'm interested in this book. Mind telling me its name and author?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast