Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bunjevci / Bunjevacs / Буњевци

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Nationality
    Dutch

I am doing genealogical research. In 1697 there was the batlle at Senta. An anscestor came to western Europe. His familyname is : Ikats, Ikacz , Ikač , Икач. The name seems to be orginal from Dalmatia. Round 1685 is moved to the north.
    In Vojvodina the name Ikac is to be find in Subotica, Sombor and other places. Also in Southern Hungary and Croatia.

I think this is a serious site, so I hope someone can help me to solve this "problem". So my question is Ikac,Ikač.. (Икач-Бенковац, Коларина-.Св. Георгије)
    a name of Bunjevci origin ? Maybe this question should be in the genealogical section, but the subject is here.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Ikacz; 04-03-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikacz View Post
    I am doing genealogical research. In 1697 there was the batlle at Senta. An anscestor came to western Europe. His familyname is : Ikats, Ikacz , Ikač , Икач. The name seems to be orginal from Dalmatia. Round 1685 is moved to the north.
    In Vojvodina the name Ikac is to be find in Subotica, Sombor and other places. Also in Southern Hungary and Croatia.

I think this is a serious site, so I hope someone can help me to solve this "problem". So my question is Ikac,Ikač.. (Икач-Бенковац, Коларина-.Св. Георгије)
    a name of Bunjevci origin ? Maybe this question should be in the genealogical section, but the subject is here.
    Thank you.
    Ikač is mostly Croatian name, but I don't know is it specifically Bunjevac. Probably yes, because most Croats in Subotica and Sombor are Bunjevac.
    https://actacroatica.com/en/surname/Ika%C4%8D/

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Ikacz View Post

Thank you.
    Ikac / Ikač is not among Bunjevac surname in Subotica (not now, not in history) and it is not among Bunjevac group in Lika. So, I don't believe there is any relation between Ikac and Bunjevac ethnic group.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Feiichy View Post
    Ikač is mostly Croatian name, but I don't know is it specifically Bunjevac. Probably yes, because most Croats in Subotica and Sombor are Bunjevac.
    https://actacroatica.com/en/surname/Ika%C4%8D/
    1. Acta Croatica is not good source because every surname there is ''croatian'' just because it actually exist in Republic of Croatia. It doesn't mean that people with that surname are Croats.
    2. Like I said in the begging, I don't want to put any label for Bunjevac - croatian, serbian or any other. Bunjevac didn't declare themselves as Croats or Serbs and they have right to declare themselves whatever they like. And many of them don't like to be ''Croats'', only Bunjevac. Also, first Croats in Subotica are noted in 1890. because 19 inhabitants of the city spoke croatian.

Registered Users
    Sex

Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Macura View Post
    1. Acta Croatica is not good source because every surname there is ''croatian'' just because it actually exist in Republic of Croatia. It doesn't mean that people with that surname are Croats.
    2. Like I said in the begging, I don't want to put any label for Bunjevac - croatian, serbian or any other. Bunjevac didn't declare themselves as Croats or Serbs and they have right to declare themselves whatever they like. And many of them don't like to be ''Croats'', only Bunjevac. Also, first Croats in Subotica are noted in 1890. because 19 inhabitants of the city spoke croatian.
    All but 20 000 Bunjevci in Serbia declare as Croats, and there are around million Bunjevci descendants in Croatia, Hungary and Serbia.

Even majority of Bunjevci in Serbia declare as Croats.

20 000 Bunjevci as separate ethnicity is huge minority among all Bunjevci.

There are some Serbs in Croatia who declare as Croat. so what ?
    Last edited by Feiichy; 04-30-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12