Thread: Are Vindelici R1b-L23* ?

Sex

Are Vindelici R1b-L23* ?

Hello everyone,

I want to share a little theory with you about the Vindelici who once lived in Raetia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindelici

According to Horace, they were carrying "Scythian axes". According to Servius, they are originally Liburians (balkanic ; high number of R1b-L23*). They wore two horned helmets like IE asian tribes. Maybe they spoke a nearby raetic language close to etruscan.

The oriental Alps where they lived seem to have today a relatively high number of R1b-L23* (L277 perhaps) in comparison of the rest of western Europe. So I thought that, maybe, they could be some Vindelici descendents who brought "Scythian axes" a long time ago from the middle-east step.

What do you think ?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesadquem View Post
    Hello everyone,

I want to share a little theory with you about the Vindelici who once lived in Raetia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindelici

According to Horace, they were carrying "Scythian axes". According to Servius, they are originally Liburians (balkanic ; high number of R1b-L23*). They wore two horned helmets like IE asian tribes. Maybe they spoke a nearby raetic language close to etruscan.

The oriental Alps where they lived seem to have today a relatively high number of R1b-L23* (L277 perhaps) in comparison of the rest of western Europe. So I thought that, maybe, they could be some Vindelici descendents who brought "Scythian axes" a long time ago from the middle-east step.

What do you think ?
    vindelici are a raetic sub-tribe which is why the Romans named the area Raetica Secunda. They where the first to be celtinized by celts moving south from central germany. If Mr. hammer is correct and R-U152 is western-central german/celt , then you could have something, but raetic people as far as i know have R-L51 ( i need to recheck this ) and G-L497 as "confirmed" markers.

Some do say that liburnians on the northern adriatic coast are vindelici............i see no proof, but there has been venetic findings in innsbruck and venetic have an association with liburnians.

what is a scythian axe?...........a double headed axe?, if so, this type was a northern causcasus design centuries before the scythians arrived.
    Last edited by vettor; 09-16-2014 at 07:13 PM.

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483+ )

Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-Y33791 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

Sex

If Mr. hammer is correct and R-U152 is western-central german/celt , then you could have something, but raetic people as far as i know have R-L51 ( i need to recheck this ) and G-L497 as "confirmed" markers.
    Ok, I did not know this study. But then where did the L23+/L51- population of the Alps came from ?