Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Ancestry use DNA or Trees to form your Communities?

Does Ancestry use DNA or Trees to form your Communities?

Just wondering? I have seen indication one way or the other on blogs, etc. and even with family members.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

United States of America Scotland
    Being a member of FTDNA's Adopted Project, I would definitely go with DNA.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V13
    mtDNA (M)
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Palatinate Cornwall Germany Bayern Switzerland Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by McGowan View Post
    Just wondering? I have seen indication one way or the other on blogs, etc. and even with family members.
    Supposedly it uses a combination of trees and DNA to form genetic communities. I've been curious because my community (Ulster Irish/North Midlands) would definitely be more indicative of DNA. My tree is rich in colonial American (Jamestown/Virginia trading company, Early MD, Mayflower, Dutch PA) and Palatinate/Bavarian/Swiss back hundreds of years but my Irish lines only go back a few generations.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L226/R-FGC12302
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1a1

England Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland European Union
    Your allocation to an existing Genetic Community is purely based on your DNA (and matching to others in those GCs) and not based on your tree.

That said, when Ancestry identify new clusters and thus a new Genetic Community, they do review trees of those in that cluster to help form a name for it...
    Last edited by AntG; 10-19-2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Added info in brackets

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AntG For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (10-19-2017),  JMcB (12-31-2017),  kostoffj (04-21-2018),  MatAust21 (12-31-2017),  sktibo (10-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Looks to me like heavier emphasis on trees!!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland
    I have 556 Welsh cousin matches to North Wales.. not one is in a tree..
    Mike Mulligan at AncestryDNA said that certain areas do get looked at.. I have 664 DNA matches for Donegal East and have one known great grandmother from there.. It is a Gaeltacht area which remains inbred.. I do have a Tyrone ancestral 2nd great couple ( Sweeney) who may overlap there..
    The North Wales specifically Caernarvonshire was a mystery to me but I am forced to consider that as a source for my father's bio father ( was supposed to be his stepfather or an uncle) Very early on at 23andme I got Wales matches which I blew off

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryMc View Post
    Looks to me like heavier emphasis on trees!!
    They have to use the trees to determine shared ancestral locations to create the Genetic Communities but that doesn't mean there's a heavier emphasis on trees. Equally, without the DNA, there would be no Genetic Communities. Essentially, what they do is take a group of people who share DNA and look for common ancestral locations among them. This wouldn't be possible without either the DNA or the trees. Once a GC is established, they can provide GCs for people who don't even have trees (if you share DNA with a certain GC, it will show up, tree or no tree) so if anything, there is more emphasis on the DNA than the trees.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobinBMc For This Useful Post:

Kathlingram (01-03-2018),  MatAust21 (01-03-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed euro
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a

United States of America Italy Sicily Ireland Croatia England Germany
    I expected to see communities such as pa german dutch and Irish as my relatives are all settlers of the early 1800s and some in the 1700s. All settled in Ohio, western pa and wva. I also have extensive family tree on line and my ancestry DNA results showed no German only 1% western european and only 5% Irish however 24% great Britain. My ancestry dna results 36% Sicilian and 26% east Europe includes north Italy, Croatia,Bosnia, 24% great Britain, 5% Irish, 1% Scandinavian, 2 % middle east , 4% caucasas, 1% Africa north
    Last edited by Sizzles; 04-19-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Macedonia
    i have no family tree info filled out and it assigned me a genetic community, likewise with my mom, who has the same community as me + an additional one neither i nor her mother have, so i assume it was able to infer some kind of connection from her father's side.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzles View Post
    I expected to see communities such as pa german dutch and Irish as my relatives are all settlers of the early 1800s and some in the 1700s. All settled in Ohio, western pa and wva. I also have extensive family tree on line and my ancestry DNA results showed no German only 1% western european and only 5% Irish however 24% great Britain. My ancestry dna results 36% Sicilian and 26% east Europe includes north Italy, Croatia,Bosnia, 24% great Britain, 5% Irish, 1% Scandinavian, 2 % middle east , 4% caucasas, 1% Africa north
    Why?
    Does the test lab you used offer pa german dutch as an ethnic category?

If you know where your great grandparents came from, you are already ahead of nearly all of the test labs in specificity.
    If you can trace your great great grandparents back to Europe and specific regions within European countries, you are way ahead of what they can do.
    You do understand that much of the time they confuse Scandinavian with British and German?
    And Iberian/Sicilian with some Celtic?

Half of my ancestry is German. AncestryDNA has some wonderful maps of where your ancestors came from, but this comes from other DNA subscribers.
    AncestryDNA does not sell in Germany. That part of my map is entirely blank on their emigration maps.
    And the one for English seems to have been blinded by their subscribers from London.
    None of my people are from London or Kent or Surrey or Sussex, but that is where the migration diagrams say most of them came from.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Judith (05-01-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast