Thread: Question about resolution of ancestry composition

Question about resolution of ancestry composition

Hey everyone,

I hope this in the right section, as I've just begun researching this.

I'm thinking about doing 23andme's ancestry composition test, specifically because I want to answer two questions: whether there is Chinese or European (Spanish?) blood on my mom's side (Filipino). The thing is, I'm not sure if this ancestry test (or any ancestry test) can get that specific. What do you think? Is there a different test or company I should try instead?

If it's relevant, I'm also half-Southern Indian from Kerala.

Thanks for any help!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    I doubt it would be easy to pick up the difference between Chinese and Filipino heritage with Ancestry Composition, because there just aren't that many individuals with either ancestry in their database and there has been a fair bit of back-and-forth between the two places for hundreds of years.

But if you were to test your mother rather than yourself, it should pick up European ancestry if she has any, which should be subdivided into one of Northern or Southern or Eastern Europe, and if Southern Europe, this may be further broken down into Iberian.

In your case it could be especially important to test your mother instead of yourself because if you show Iberian ancestry, it could pertain to the time Portuguese were in Kerala rather than Spanish presence in the Philippines.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

basque (08-18-2013),  MikeWhalen (08-18-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    At the moment there's no (sub) resolution yet for East Asia but South Asia is already in its own category. 23andme promised they will start specifying East Asian as well as African ancestry in their upcoming update. But no idea when that will be. There's however some (free of charge) third party admixture tools you might want to use like on Ged-Match or analysis provided by Prof. McDonald. You just need to send them your "raw" DNA data, which is a file you can download on the 23andme website.

Impatient with 23andme breaking down the East Asian category there's been already two guys on 23andme who have developed their own calculators for specifying East Asian ancestry. You might want to check out these threads:

Detailed East Asian Ancestry Calculator
    Asian breakdown using Admixture software

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% N. European 5% Other
    Nationality
    American Mutt
    Y-DNA
    R-L2-FGC22501 hus.
    mtDNA
    U5a1b2 16362

England Germany Sweden Scotland Norway United States of America
    You might try one of GEDMATCH.com's many tools. Also it might be worth your while to try uploading to DNATribes as this may get some of the nuances you are after. Don't do their tests do the one that uses your already completed results.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kwheaton For This Useful Post:

AJL (09-09-2013),  Ian B (09-10-2013)