Thread: 23andme v4 vs v5 ancestry determination

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European mostly
    Nationality
    American

France Scotland Germany Netherlands United States of America
    The V5 Chip is somehow causing the algorithm to interpret certain regions/ethnicities within certain chromosomes differently then the V4 Chip did? Could it have to do with imputation?
    Last edited by tomz; 10-20-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-L20
    mtDNA
    k1a4a1

I saw my first ever 100.0% Eastern European results with a V5 tester. Interestingly they report one grandparent as being Scandinavian! And yet even 4 grandparents Latvian or Lithuanian or Belarusian or Russian or Polish have never, as far as I know, scored 100.0% Eastern European on the prior chips. Either their Scandinavian ancestor really was Eastern European and just moved there (possible) or V5 is showing more signs of being worse at ancestry than prior versions. I also read that Italians are getting a lot less direct Italian reported than on prior versions of chips.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombatofthenorth For This Useful Post:

Geborgenheit (02-08-2019),  tomz (10-31-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-L20
    mtDNA
    k1a4a1

And then my dad has some interesting new matches like 97.5% Middle Eastern and 2.5% Broadly Southern European, a bit of a surprising sort of match to my dad who is all BNWE, Finnish, Eastern European (by far the most), Balkan scoring. Granted, it could still be a real match as on the old chip he has a match to someone from Cyprus who has since found a Slovenian/Croatian border ancestor. And then he has another more recent match to someone with lots of Egyptian ancestry but who has traced an ancestor to the Slovenian/Croatian border. So maybe this new match somehow connects through the same Slovenain/roatin ancestor.

Banned
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-M405 >>> R-Z17
    mtDNA
    U2e1a1

Flanders
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam A View Post
    What testing companies don't (but should) tell us is that Southern European (especially Italian and Greek) DNA is extremely similar to middle eastern DNA. Just remember that borders don't always define race
    No, genetics proves the opposite: the Corsicans are not close to the people of the Middle East, the same for the Lombards, etc. With the exception of Sicilians and Andalusians, no other ethnic group is close to the people of the Middle East who have a specific genetics and quite far from extra Europeans.

Sorry, I know that when you are a mulatto you would like most people to be too, but unfortunately you are the only one in your case.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Swahili
    Nationality
    Kenyan

Kenya Tanzania African Union
    I purchased a new 23andme ancestry test since I was on the V3 chip I hope I get more accurate results with the V5 though. Has anyone re done the test and were the results on the V5 more or less accurate compared to the previous test?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central/E. Sudanic
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    A-M13 (A-Y95250*)
    mtDNA
    L3x2b

Canada Uganda Southern Sudan Chad Ethiopia Omo Region Sudan
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 View Post
    I purchased a new 23andme ancestry test since I was on the V3 chip I hope I get more accurate results with the V5 though. Has anyone re done the test and were the results on the V5 more or less accurate compared to the previous test?
    Don Felipe was courteous enough to share these V5 results of a Ugandan who turned out to have 0% East-African affinity:

"My ancestry composition is 96% West African, 2% Central/South African and 0% East African (and 2% scattered elsewhere). I'm from Uganda (and so are my parents and all my grandparents and their parents etc.). Uganda is in East Africa!"

Here's the 23andme thread link

Other issues were mentioned with unrealistic South Asian and North-African affinities in Cape Verdeans. I'd imagine these issues are spread across several ancestral compositions for different testers.
    PuntDNAL K8
    Population: Hidden Content 46.16, Ubangian_Congo 9.56, W_Benue_Congo 24.21, Eastern_HG 2.09, E_Benue_Congo 12.94, Omotic 5.05
    Single Population Sharing: Hidden Content 14.17, Hidden Content 17.26, South_Sudanese 25.21, South_Sudan_Anuak 25.65, Cameroon_Mada 28.57, Ethiopian_Gumuz 33.91, Kenyan_Maasai 36.07, Kenyan_Bantu 38.05, Chad_Kaba 40.04, DRC_Hema 42.08, Kenyan_Luhya 46.64

The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it - Hidden Content

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NiloSaharan For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (10-31-2017),  SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 (10-30-2017),  tomz (11-04-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    L1a1
    mtDNA
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by NiloSaharan View Post
    Don Felipe was courteous enough to share these V5 results of a Ugandan who turned out to have 0% East-African affinity:

Here's the 23andme thread link

Other issues were mentioned with unrealistic South Asian and North-African affinities in Cape Verdeans. I'd imagine these issues are spread across several ancestral compositions for different testers.
    Bloody hell doesn't look good - at the end of the day though would this affect the other calculators as we can assume the SNP identification is the same if not better than v4?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Filipino
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Philippines China Spain Italy
    Interesting on my v5 dnaland AC I got S.African and I usually score N.Africa or Sub Sahara.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by cps View Post
    So I'm tested on v4 and my mom is on the v5 test. So per the delay at 23andme I'm not phased yet with my mom. My paper ancestry is 100% Greek so it is not easy to tell what I got from which parent.

But I did see something that just makes me question how well this whole thing works. I got ~95% European and another 4.5% middle eastern. Not atypical results for a Greek. My mom got ~90% European and 10% middle eastern. That normally wouldn't seem weird (4.5 is about half of 10) .. except my mom is Mainland Greek and her parents were born in Greece in the 1890's before the population exchange with Turkey. Plus my dad is Aegean Islander--- I should be getting the middle eastern from him NOT her.

I dig further. For me I look at chromosome 10. On both chromosomes the whole thing painted Southern European. One is 100% Balkan and the other is about 75% Balkan and the rest is broadly Southern European.

Now my mom... on Chromosome 10 both chromosomes are almost 100% painted Middle Eastern... there is a tiny (I mean tiny sliver on the ends of one that is painted broadly European -- but these slivers are about 2% of the whole chromosome).

Now this just doesn't make sense. According to 23andme I share 49.9% of my DNA with my mom. According to 23andme we are half identical on Chromosome 10. Then how could our chromosome paintings be so different!

Comments?
    Have you tried contacting 23andMe about this potential error or atleast for an explanation ?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    Have you tried contacting 23andMe about this potential error or atleast for an explanation ?
    should I? I don't know who to contact... but it does seem strange doesn't it?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cps For This Useful Post:

tomz (11-04-2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast