Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes Eurogenes K36 so popular?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-Y17218
    mtDNA (M)
    H13a2b2a

United States of America England Sweden Scotland Ireland
    Your mother's map corresponds almost perfectly with mine. I will echo another poster's question: How did you make these very cool heat maps?
    Known origins (6 generations): 48% south and east England, 25% Bothnian Sweden, 13% Ulster/Scotland, 5% Switzerland/Palatinate Germany, 9% Unknown

23andme (50% conf.): 33% British&Irish, 23% Sweden, 17% French&German, 1.3% Finnish, 1% East European

Eurogenes K36: 21% North Sea, 16% Fennoscandian, 13% Iberian, 12% N. Atlantic, 9% Italian, 8% Cent. Euro., 7% French, 5% E. Cent. Euro., 3% E. Euro., 6% Volga-Ural, W. Med., Basque, E. Med.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L1029>Y133383
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2*-146+
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2b-L283>PH1751
    mtDNA (P)
    T1a1I

Albania Kosovo Macedonia United States of America Sweden Greece
    Quote Originally Posted by rwtodd View Post
    Your mother's map corresponds almost perfectly with mine. I will echo another poster's question: How did you make these very cool heat maps?
    Agreed. Also very curious. Tried with paint but it looks crappy.
    Known Ancestry: Albanian
    23andme results: 94% Balkan, 0.9% Italian, 0.8% Middle Eastern, 2.2% broadly southern European, 0.3 British & Irish, 0.3% Japanese, 0.5% unassigned
    MyOrigins2.0: 100% Southeast European
    MyAncientOrigins: 62% Farmer, 24% Hunter Gatherer, 14% Metal Age Invader
    MyHeritage: 76% Greek, 16% Balkan, 8% Italian
    WeGene: 99.5% Balkan, 0.5% unassigned
    GenePlaza: 92.7% East Mediterranean, 5.2% Southwestern European, 1.5% Ambiguous
    DNA.LAND: 95% Balkan, 5% Sardinian

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    categorizing English as very similar to Czech?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Samoan

Samoa American Samoa China
    With the high population components, I find it quite useful for segment runs with the byseg or bychr utility tools.

Randwulf started a very interesting thread about it

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post165530

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Exosuits For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-25-2018),  randwulf (05-31-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Tolan View Post
    Even though its author does not seem to like it very much, the components are remarkable even if their names were very badly chosen, because they correspond to ancient components than our modern countries.

New calculators, created from ancient genomes, are not very reliable for modern populations. (This is my opinion),.
    For example, English will be close to the Czechs.
    Their components are too old to determine current populations

The second reason is the large number of averages per country and region collected by LukaszM.
    No other calculator has so much average!
    A good calculator with a large average number around the world! What more could we ask for?
    Is this using ancient genomes? This one made me quite Iberian and French, far more than most, though it shows up once in a while on GEDmatch. I am not French, but Scandinavian. But there is overlap with Viking DNA. This happens with Orkneys as well. More modern migrations from Scotland to Norway are not super uncommon, but I have wondered about that French and Iberian connection as probably possibly being Viking-esque and not even common DNA in present day Norway.

I think the specificity is interesting, yet vague... pinpointing French, but then overlapping the whole northwest a few ways, so I'm not sure where Denmark was covered. My family is quite Danish and I don't know... I assume that was under Fennoscandia. But there is a North Sea and a North Atlantic group on here. Both also high. But that is probably British Isles and then Germany/France. All Viking stuff maybe. But those attempts at specifics areas end up overlapped when you try to look up admixture maps for places like Denmark...which I know is Scandinavian, but I also know is dropped from some Scandinavian reference populations (like it just doesn't exist), so I don't know... maybe it's "North Sea".. no big deal really, but I can't find a North Sea map. I assume North Sea is mostly specific to British Isles when North Atlantic and Fennoscandia is also added in. ?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurki For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    I don't put my trust in any ethnicity report, but the more specific it is/the more break down, the bigger grain of salt I take it with. K36 is definitely highly speculative, if you ask me. I get so many small amounts in different places, I can't take it very seriously.

Amerindian -
    Arabian -
    Armenian -
    Basque 1.11
    Central_African -
    Central_Euro 5.87
    East_African -
    East_Asian -
    East_Balkan 5.13
    East_Central_Asian -
    East_Central_Euro 1.11
    East_Med 4.95
    Eastern_Euro -
    Fennoscandian 8.27
    French 6.86
    Iberian 8.49
    Indo-Chinese -
    Italian 16.68
    Malayan -
    Near_Eastern 4.41
    North_African -
    North_Atlantic 14.50
    North_Caucasian 2.87
    North_Sea 12.69
    Northeast_African -
    Oceanian -
    Omotic -
    Pygmy -
    Siberian -
    South_Asian -
    South_Central_Asian -
    South_Chinese -
    Volga-Ural -
    West_African -
    West_Caucasian 3.76
    West_Med 3.29

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobinBMc For This Useful Post:

fostert (01-27-2018),  HeinzvonBiboo (07-13-2018),  Kanenas (01-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

How can I use population sharing for genetic distance from this test?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Breton & Maineau
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY145002 (DF13+)
    mtDNA (M)
    U4c1a

France France Bretagne
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinBMc View Post
    I don't put my trust in any ethnicity report, but the more specific it is/the more break down, the bigger grain of salt I take it with. K36 is definitely highly speculative, if you ask me. I get so many small amounts in different places, I can't take it very seriously.
    Yes, everyone should know it!
    And this is valid for all calculators on gedmatch.

They don't give your composition from the populations of today, but from ancients populations. Hence my remark on the chosen names of the components that can be misleading.
    Only the comparison with the country averages makes it possible to know from which average we are getting closer.

The results of the DNA companies (23andMe, FTDNA, AncestryDna ect ..) have for ambition to give you directly your ancestral composition.
    It's different from the gedmatch calculators, DNALand and others
    Y haplogroup: R1b: L21 --> DF13 --> BY145002
    The oldest L21 known are I2457 et I2565 from Stonehenge (Beaker Culture, 2400-1900 BC)

MTDNA: U4c1
    The oldest U4c1 known are "poz224", Yamnaya culture (2882-2698 BC), and 2 Bell-Beaker in Germany (Karsdorf, 2314-2042 BC)

The oldest U4c1a known is "Ber1", from Sweden (Battle Axe, Corded Ware Culture, 2620-2470 BC)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tolan For This Useful Post:

HeinzvonBiboo (07-13-2018),  JMcB (12-25-2018),  wombatofthenorth (02-18-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a - Z284

England Norway Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    For me it compares favorably (once the values are plugged into Tolan's tool http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/similitude.htm) with my family's known genealogical records....mostly British with mother having more Scandinavian and German Ancestors than my father.

From left to right, father, me, mother.

Plus K36 results and Tolan's tool let's you create a map.
    Mitchell may I ask, how were you able to colour your maps? That looks briliant and I could do with that myself.

Thanks .
    Y-DNA R1a - Z284
    MtDNA - W1g

Ancestry
    Mostly English with minor East German/Polish.
    *Eurogenes K15 - West_German + West_Norwegian + West_Norwegian + West_Norwegian @ 6.696671
    *MDLP K23B - Dane_ + Dutch_ + Dutch_ + Dutch_ @ 1.366235
    *PuntDNAL K12 Ancient - Vatya_SG_RISE479 + Nordic_LN_SG_RISE97 + BattleAxe_Sweden_SG_RISE94 + BattleAxe_Sweden_SG_RISE94 @ 1.023980

Dad - Y-DNA R1a Z284 / MtDNA U5b2b1a1
    Mum - Y-DNA I1 / MtDNA W1g
    Granddad ( Mother's side ) - Y-DNA I1 / MtDNA H3y

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vestri For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Nationality
    American

Germany Palatinate Switzerland France Wales United Kingdom United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Vestri View Post
    Mitchell may I ask, how were you able to colour your maps? That looks briliant and I could do with that myself.

Thanks .
    They do look very nice Mitchell. I made a mask in illustrator so I can make something similar quickly if anyone wants. Just need the k36 numbers so I can use Tolans beautiful map tool

I just made one for my grandmother's
    Most of my ancestors were from Germany, Switzerland and France. The main exception to this is with my maternal Grandfather's family, approximately 80% of his ancestry was from the British Isles, mostly from Celtic regions.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hayden For This Useful Post:

emc (05-21-2018),  JMcB (12-25-2018),  Vestri (02-05-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast