Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else belong to my subclade?

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    I subclade I2a

Anyone else belong to my subclade?

Hello! I'm new to Anthrogenica and have a relatively new interest in DNA. I have had a Living DNA test recently. Does anyone else belong to subclade I2a?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gwendraith For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (10-22-2017),  Táltos (12-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Irish, German
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>L226>FGC5639

England Germany Netherlands France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendraith View Post
    Hello! I'm new to Anthrogenica and have a relatively new interest in DNA. I have had a Living DNA test recently. Does anyone else belong to subclade I2a?
    Assuming that Living DNA maps to the ISOGG haplotree - I2a is now called I-L460 (and several other names as well). This branch is 21,000 years old according to YFULL, so there are probably several thousand that match I2a tested at 67 markers. You really need to test 67 YSTR markers at FTDNA and look at the haplogroups of your closer matches. This test will get you down to the 1,000 to 5,000 year range and a gateway SNP pack test for I2 would get you down to even more recent times. The YDNA haplogroups reported by atDNA vednors (23andme, Ancestry.com, Nat Geo and Living DNA) are very minimal tests for YSNPs. There are now around 50,000 branches of mankind in haplotrees, Living DNA probably only tests 5,000 (most of these are very old branches which have minimal genealogical meaning). YFULL has around 20 screens of branches below I2a that you could belong to.

YFULL lists I2a2a1b2a2a1a1a1a1a1c as one branch, so there are lot of branches much more recent than I2a. I belong to FGC5639 which is only 400 to 500 years old. ISOGG lists this as FGC5628 as R1b1a1a2a1a2c1a4b2a1a but I actually belong four levels below the FGC5628 branch as FGC5628 > FGC5659 > ZZ34_1 > FGC5647 > FGC5639. So if you really want to get into researching your all male ancestry - you need to first test 67 markers then there could be many various options for further testing of YSNPs to more recent times.
    Last edited by RobertCasey; 10-22-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Hi gwendraith, does your maternal line go back to Wales? Or England. Or elsewhere, just out of interest.
    P.S Welcome to the forum.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

Táltos (12-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

Hi, yes, I'm I2. If you tested with LivingDNA, did you not get a subclade? Mine is I-m26, L-160.

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23

Albania Italy Two Sicilies Wales Lithuania Poland Slovakia
    Hi,
    Can some of you guys be mindful of Y DNA vs mtDNA. This is an mtDNA forum for I. Thanks!
    Maternal Grandfather's Y Line: J-ZS1711
    Maternal Grandfather's mtDNA: K2b1
    Paternal Grandmother’s mtDNA: U5a1

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    I subclade I2a

Thank you very much for responding with so much information. However, I am a little confused as I thought the I2a haplogroup was my MtDNA and I have no Y being female so wouldn't be able to get any information from that?

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    I subclade I2a

Hi gwendraith, does your maternal line go back to Wales? Or England. Or elsewhere, just out of interest.
    P.S Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you Well, my maternal grandfather's line is Evans which is a very Welsh name but I have found no ancestors in Wales. His paternal line goes back almost 300 hundred years in Bermondsey, London and maternal in Kent My maternal Grandmother's father's line goes back 300 years in the Bristol Channel region of Somerset so not that far from the Welsh borders. Her father was a mariner and ended up in London in the 1870s and married her mother whose lines are Sussex and Norfolk. My ethnicity results show me to be mostly British with Iberian peninsula and eastern European which I assume goes back to well before my paper trail.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    mtDNA (M)
    I subclade I2a

Quote Originally Posted by NB6 View Post
    Hi, yes, I'm I2. If you tested with LivingDNA, did you not get a subclade? Mine is I-m26, L-160.
    Hi, for my MtDNA I got I, subclade I2a but nothing more than that yet.

Sex

I am I2a from Norfolk

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a10a

United States of America England

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast