Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland

More Swedish Cousins - Chip problems

I have been traveling off and on for 2 weeks..
    I see today that I have at least 4 new Swedish 4th cousins.. My 3rd great grandfather Charles Swanson ( Carl Swenson) came to the US in 1809 and married another Swede in the Delaware valley where he was a River pilot..

I still cannot understand why Living_DNA did not pick any of that up..I have at least 25 4th cousins from this pair directly back to that couple and not any other non-Swedish descendant.. same segments..

Also 23andme is having great difficulty working with the V5 Chip which is the same( more or less) and this one..
    A known cousin at 23andme matches my granddaughter and my sister and not me and not my son ( granddaughter's father).. It is MY DNA they match.. SMH
    Many experts are worried about the imputing which is not correct..

No testing company is fool proof..My 2 cents

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathlingram View Post
    I see today that I have at least 4 new Swedish 4th cousins.. My 3rd great grandfather Charles Swanson ( Carl Swenson) came to the US in 1809 and married another Swede in the Delaware valley where he was a River pilot..

I still cannot understand why Living_DNA did not pick any of that up..I have at least 25 4th cousins from this pair directly back to that couple and not any other non-Swedish descendant.. same segments..

Also 23andme is having great difficulty working with the V5 Chip which is the same( more or less) and this one..
    A known cousin at 23andme matches my granddaughter and my sister and not me and not my son ( granddaughter's father).. It is MY DNA they match.. SMH

Hi Kathlingram
    Are you talking about your downloaded results, and uploaded to Gedmatch Genesis? as Living DNA relative matching is not available yet (at least not for me)
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

Kathlingram (10-25-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi Kathlingram
    Are you talking about your downloaded results, and uploaded to Gedmatch Genesis? as Living DNA relative matching is not available yet (at least not for me)
    No 23andme had V5 ( same chip as Living_DNA) completed in August and there are problems with imputation..
    This that I am describing is a problem comparing V2,V3,V4 to V5..at 23andme but with matches known to me from elsewhere..Gedmatch,AncestryDNA,FTDNA
    A recent post while I was away by TL Dixon who hosts the "Waiting Wishing" monthly thread at 23andme says his His V5 matches are a disaster

Supposedly V5 to Living_DNA version of that chip is not terribly off but Cross Company/Platform matches are not good.. sometimes non-existant and sometimes a generation or so closer..

Also some KNOWN ethnicities are way off also.. Phasing is not good..

Many people would find it odd to only look at Living_DNA matches within the system.. It is all about Cross Platform for many people
    My prediction is that they are having trouble with cousin matching, which is why they handed it off to John Olsen and Curt at GEdmatch
    ... and if it IS 1st Q 2018 it will be a mess.. and they are not staffed enough to answer all questions.. I know they look at other forums as the Admin has contacted me more than onve.. My point in testing here was to refine my ancestral areas.. That has clearly not happened
    Just wondering what others think..
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 10-25-2017 at 03:17 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (10-25-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U106 R-Z326
    mtDNA (M)
    H7a1

England Scotland Ireland Northern Ireland

So you are roughly 6.25% Swedish? It's not impossible that you didn't inherit any Swedish on the markers that LivingDNA test for. Can you remind me of your results please?
    Hidden Content < link
    Hidden Content < link
    Gedmatch: A968357 (Ancestry) & Z225914 (Living DNA)
    Roughly (w/ small amounts elsewhere):
    1/4 Scottish (Aberdeenshire)
    1/4 Anglo-Irish & Ulster Scots
    1/4 West Midlands
    1/4 Yorkshire & Northumbria

Earliest paternal (Y) ancestor: Richard Horton/Baker - living in Feckenham, Worcs. in 1530s
    Earliest maternal (mt) ancestor: dubious - possibly Anne Patchet, potential grandmother of Ann Mainwaring b. 1807 Wolverhampton (definite)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Quote Originally Posted by ollie444 View Post
    So you are roughly 6.25% Swedish? It's not impossible that you didn't inherit any Swedish on the markers that LivingDNA test for. Can you remind me of your results please?
    That is very possible..I got 2 more Swanson 4th cousin matches today but possible it is some of the Scotland Living DNA New Circle.png

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

ollie444 (10-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

That is very possible..I got 2 more Swanson 4th cousin matches today but possible it is some of the Scotland Living DNA New Circle.png or the Orkney which was quite tiny

UGH..Sorry I did that twice.. wish someone could DELETE for me
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 10-26-2017 at 10:27 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

ollie444 (10-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Isles
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U106 R-Z326
    mtDNA (M)
    H7a1

England Scotland Ireland Northern Ireland
    That is very possible..I got 2 more Swanson 4th cousin matches today but possible it is some of the Scotland Living DNA New Circle.png or the Orkney which was quite tiny

UGH..Sorry I did that twice.. wish someone could DELETE for me
    Thanks. I believe Living DNA might be doing a Swedish project, I wonder if that would sway your results away from 100% GB. You might have to wait a while though!
    Hidden Content < link
    Hidden Content < link
    Gedmatch: A968357 (Ancestry) & Z225914 (Living DNA)
    Roughly (w/ small amounts elsewhere):
    1/4 Scottish (Aberdeenshire)
    1/4 Anglo-Irish & Ulster Scots
    1/4 West Midlands
    1/4 Yorkshire & Northumbria

Earliest paternal (Y) ancestor: Richard Horton/Baker - living in Feckenham, Worcs. in 1530s
    Earliest maternal (mt) ancestor: dubious - possibly Anne Patchet, potential grandmother of Ann Mainwaring b. 1807 Wolverhampton (definite)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ollie444 For This Useful Post:

Kathlingram (10-28-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1a1(a)

Thanks. I believe Living DNA might be doing a Swedish project, I wonder if that would sway your results away from 100% GB. You might have to wait a while though!
    It is of course quite possible that my Captain Charles (Carl) Swanson(Swensen) was admixed.. Baltic perhaps.. they were seafarers into US.. his "Brother" (my assumption it is his brother as they are in Southwark Philadelphia together c. 1830) His brother Andrew Swanson/Swenson and another "Swede" were impressed off a US Ship by the British in 1796 and recovered and then stayed in Philadelphia

A researcher at Swedish records told me that they were likely part of the "Old Swedes" Swansons.. Did they live there and go back? Who did they marry earlier?
    I don't have those answers..

What I DO know is that my Rementer Honaker Mayer Norbeck line ( all related) were Palatinates who came down the Rhine c. 1740-50s and that Charles Swanson and his wife were Swedish so SOME small piece of my Genome is surely NOT from UK..
    Even 5-8% elsewhere would make sense to me.. but perhaps it is now gone from my genome and sister's ( my only sibling

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FT248579
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

United States of America Canada
    It is of course quite possible that my Captain Charles (Carl) Swanson(Swensen) was admixed.. Baltic perhaps.. they were seafarers into US.. his "Brother" (my assumption it is his brother as they are in Southwark Philadelphia together c. 1830) His brother Andrew Swanson/Swenson and another "Swede" were impressed off a US Ship by the British in 1796 and recovered and then stayed in Philadelphia

A researcher at Swedish records told me that they were likely part of the "Old Swedes" Swansons.. Did they live there and go back? Who did they marry earlier?
    I don't have those answers.
    He very well could be admixed. In early Colonial America, the male-female ratio was badly out of balance. Men would marry whoever they could find, not necessarily from their own ethnic group (your could always make up a family tree for the wife).

Jack Wyatt

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

Kathlingram (10-28-2017),  ollie444 (10-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-FT309172
    mtDNA (M)
    H13a2b2a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-BY12508

United States of America England Sweden Scotland Ireland
    The biggest discrepancy in my results was totally missing my Swedish connection. My maternal grandmother is 100% Swedish and not even the Complete analysis was able to pick it up. Perhaps the LivingDNA analysis is too Anglo-centric?
    Known origins (6 generations): 48% south and east England, 25% Bothnian Sweden, 13% Ulster/Scotland, 5% Switzerland/Palatinate Germany, 9% Unknown

23andme: 35% British&Irish, 20% Sweden, 21% French&German, 3% Finnish

Eurogenes K36: 21% North Sea, 16% Fennoscandian, 13% Iberian, 12% N. Atlantic, 9% Italian, 8% Cent. Euro., 7% French, 5% E. Cent. Euro., 3% E. Euro., 6% Volga-Ural, W. Med., Basque, E. Med.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to rwtodd For This Useful Post:

Kathlingram (11-20-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast