Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M30b2a
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2-M241 (J-Y978*)

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    Maximus of Yfull has analyzed South Asian J2b2.
    Asian J2b2-Tree.

Among the above the Lankan Tamils have the highest SNP diversity.
    http://eng.molgen.org/download/file....=396&mode=view
    I don't suppose it'd be possible to use HG02690's data (here I think) to form an admixture picture?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M30b2a
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2-M241 (J-Y978*)

They edited the J2b2 spreadsheet at the FtDNA M102 project. They removed the one or two Indians it looks like.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M30b2a
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2-M241 (J-Y978*)

^ I was wrong about that. They just moved the two Indian samples.

I just ordered a YDNA-12 kit from FTDNA. What should I expect? Will they test beyond M241, like L283? (EDIT: Nm, looks like I'll have to order the SNPs)
    Last edited by Dr_McNinja; 09-25-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M30b2a
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2-M241 (J-Y978*)

I got my FTDNA results:

DYS393 12
    DYS390 23
    DYS19 15
    DYS391 11
    DYS385 12-18
    DYS426 11
    DYS388 15
    DYS439 11
    DYS389I 12
    DYS392 11
    DYS389II 29
    Predicted J-M172.

Closest genetic match was a J2b1 from Turkey with a genetic distance of 1. Then on ysearch.org (my ID there is DHQ7Q), my closest matches were from England (3AW2S) and Italy (FZ8V5) with genetic distances of 2 (but haplogroups unknown for the English and J2 for the Italian).

The TiP report from the one in Turkey on FTDNA:

Generations Percentage
    4 6.81%
    8 19.28%
    12 33.15%
    16 46.30%
    20 57.79%
    24 67.37%
    I'm kit B6225 on FTDNA.

What confuses me is that in the chart on: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...ction=yresults

It also says my result at DYS437 is 14 and DYS438 is 9. Where did those two extra results come from? When I add those to my ysearch info, the matches still show the guy from England but now at a genetic distance of 3. Then someone else also at genetic distance 3 (tested J2), but not the Italian.

Now, what's the difference between ordering just SNPs or upgrading the test to 25, 37, or 67 markers? (it won't show the option to purchase the 111 marker upgrade for some reason). Will ordering the marker upgrade also predict the haplogroup or does that require the SNP purchase?
    Last edited by Dr_McNinja; 11-07-2013 at 06:34 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr_McNinja For This Useful Post:

Humanist (11-13-2013)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_McNinja View Post
    It also says my result at DYS437 is 14 and DYS438 is 9. Where did those two extra results come from? When I add those to my ysearch info, the matches still show the guy from England but now at a genetic distance of 3. Then someone else also at genetic distance 3 (tested J2), but not the Italian.
    For several years now, FTDNA has tested those two additional markers as a double-check, to make sure that there is no mixup of samples (if you later order an upgrade to 25 or 37 markers). The appearance of those extra markers on public spreadsheets is rather new.
    Now, what's the difference between ordering just SNPs or upgrading the test to 25, 37, or 67 markers? (it won't show the option to purchase the 111 marker upgrade for some reason). Will ordering the marker upgrade also predict the haplogroup or does that require the SNP purchase?
    Traditionally, FTDNA runs a discount sale on marker upgrades during the holiday season. Thus, you might wait a couple weeks before ordering an upgrade to 37 or 67 markers.

In the J-M102 Project, I don't see any Geno 2.0 results for J2b* or J2b1. Since you appear to belong to J2b1...If you can afford it, perhaps you should order Geno 2.0 right now, while it is on sale for $160.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M30b2a
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2-M241 (J-Y978*)

How long does it usually take for a SNP or DYS test?

If I recall correctly J2b2 appears to be Pre-Neolithic right? There still seem to be people arguing for an origin with Alexander the Great (whose army somehow didn't leave any other Balkan Y-DNA's around).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    South Asian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M30b2a
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2-M241 (J-Y978*)

Quote Originally Posted by newtoboard View Post
    If I recall correctly J2b2 appears to be Pre-Neolithic right? There still seem to be people arguing for an origin with Alexander the Great (whose army somehow didn't leave any other Balkan Y-DNA's around).
    Either that or Neolithic (even late Neolithic). Personally I like the Eupedia theory of a late Neolithic entrance to South Asia, hitching a ride with the R1a groups. The J2b2 heatmap roughly corresponds to the early South Asian Indo-European/Aryan settlements (North India, Sindh).

Registered Users

Either that or Neolithic (even late Neolithic). Personally I like the Eupedia theory of a late Neolithic entrance to South Asia, hitching a ride with the R1a groups. The J2b2 heatmap roughly corresponds to the early South Asian Indo-European/Aryan settlements (North India, Sindh).
    That would depend on how R1a1 entered India. If it was from Europe through west Asia, then you could be correct.

The consensus (please see the Hammer thread) though is now shifting towards R coming from SE Asia (the data indicating this is actually quite old). If that is the case R1a1 and R2 may have branched towards India while R1a1 and R1b went onward to Europe.

It is because of this 'R from SE Asia' scenario, and the recent restructuring of the phlylogeny of F-G/HIJK, I think that F-G/HIJK is old connection between Europe, West Asia, and South Asia, while the R is the more recent one.

Registered Users

I'm kit B6225 on FTDNA.

What confuses me is that in the chart on: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...ction=yresults

That 14 along with DYS385 12, 18 and close derivatives could form a cluster. My advice would be not to upgrade STRs since such upgrades would be useful only if lots of such M241 data from the Punjab were available. I would rather recommend a Full Genomes or the currently cheaper FTDNA Y test (Full Genome is to announce a lower priced version soon too.).

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast