R1a-L657 >BY160158
    mtDNA (M)
    M30g
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L657 >Y6
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1

Question Khas Paharis?

Are Paharis in Pakistan and India considered "Khas"? Or Pahari simply a broad term referring to mountain people and Khas really irrelevant beyond the Nepali context? "Kas-" is everywhere in N/NW subcontinent like Kashi, Kashmir, Kashyap gotra etc.. just coincidence?

Also, can anyone point me to Khas genetics, if it exists?

Registered Users
    Sex

Pahari people of Pakistan are people from Azad Kashmir

here are some videos from political rallies in the region , you can see variation in looks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to passion For This Useful Post:

poi (11-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kashmiri
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a Y1331*
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b

United Kingdom Azad Kashmir Jammu and Kashmir Pakistan Afghanistan
    Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post
    Pahari people of Pakistan are people from Azad Kashmir

here are some videos from political rallies in the region , you can see variation in looks

What's the difference between pahari and potwari. Because as far as I gathered there is a distinction is the spoken language between the two
    One's homeland is not where you are born, but where all your attempts to escape, cease.

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    u2b2 gonur;swat

Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    Are Paharis in Pakistan and India considered "Khas"? Or Pahari simply a broad term referring to mountain people and Khas really irrelevant beyond the Nepali context? "Kas-" is everywhere in N/NW subcontinent like Kashi, Kashmir, Kashyap gotra etc.. just coincidence?

I have never heard a Himachal person or a Pakistani Hill person call themselves "Khas". I think there are khasi people in India/Bangladesh, they are indigenous to that area and aren't Indo-aryan I think.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (11-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage_sky View Post
    What's the difference between pahari and potwari. Because as far as I gathered there is a distinction is the spoken language between the two
    Generally, I refer to people north of Rawalpindi as Potwari/Potohari and the folks to the east in AJK as Pahari. I don't know if that usage is correct. Lots of people seem to use the terms interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure Potohari/Potwari is referring to the Potohar plateau, while Pahari is referring to the hills/mountains to the east.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 11-11-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (01-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post
    I have never heard a Himachal person or a Pakistani Hill person call themselves "Khas". I think there are khasi people in India/Bangladesh, they are indigenous to that area and aren't Indo-aryan I think.
    Never heard this either. But there are people who call themselves Kohistani, which I suppose has the same meaning.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (01-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kashmiri
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a Y1331*
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b

United Kingdom Azad Kashmir Jammu and Kashmir Pakistan Afghanistan
    Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    Generally, I refer to people north of Rawalpindi as Potwari/Potohari and the folks to the east in AJK as Pahari. I don't know if that usage is correct. Lots of people seem to use the terms interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure Potohari/Potwari is referring to the Potohar plateau, while Pahari is referring to the hills/mountains to the east.
    that makes sense. I know there is a liguist difference. although the two dialects are similar there are some significant differences.
    One's homeland is not where you are born, but where all your attempts to escape, cease.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657 >BY160158
    mtDNA (M)
    M30g
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L657 >Y6
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post
    I think Khasi people aren't Khas, although they share similar name. Even Wikipedia has Khas people and Khasi people as separate entries lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khas_people
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khasi_people

I think Khas usage from Pakistan and India disappeared due to influence of Hindustani culture. Even Nepalis don't use Khas, just call it Gorkhali or Nepali.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

kaazi (01-14-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Koshur

Never heard Khas amongst the Pahari peeps on the Pakistani side.
    Oh and Potohari and Pahari are apparently very different, even though they normally sound the same to me with a couple of words being different.
    Interestingly Potohari only seems to be spoken in the surrounding areas of Rawalpindi like Gujar Khan, in the actual city of Pindi everyone spoke Punjabi or Urdu, that Punjabi accent wali Urdu when it sounds like they're singing lol

Gold Class Member

I think Khasi people aren't Khas, although they share similar name. Even Wikipedia has Khas people and Khasi people as separate entries lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khas_people
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khasi_people

I think Khas usage from Pakistan and India disappeared due to influence of Hindustani culture. Even Nepalis don't use Khas, just call it Gorkhali or Nepali.
    In prakrit khas would be khakh. Kalhan pandit mentioned their presence in the Kashmir. https://books.google.com/books?id=KzxTkI9iAxkC&pg=PA519

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

Kapisa (11-01-2020),  poi (11-12-2017)

Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast