R1a-L657 >BY160158
    mtDNA (M)
    M30g
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L657 >Y6
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1

Question Khas Paharis?

Are Paharis in Pakistan and India considered "Khas"? Or Pahari simply a broad term referring to mountain people and Khas really irrelevant beyond the Nepali context? "Kas-" is everywhere in N/NW subcontinent like Kashi, Kashmir, Kashyap gotra etc.. just coincidence?

Also, can anyone point me to Khas genetics, if it exists?

Registered Users
    Sex

Pahari people of Pakistan are people from Azad Kashmir

here are some videos from political rallies in the region , you can see variation in looks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to passion For This Useful Post:

poi (11-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kashmiri
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a Y1331*
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b

United Kingdom Azad Kashmir Jammu and Kashmir Pakistan Afghanistan
    Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post

here are some videos from political rallies in the region , you can see variation in looks

What's the difference between pahari and potwari. Because as far as I gathered there is a distinction is the spoken language between the two
    One's homeland is not where you are born, but where all your attempts to escape, cease.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage_sky View Post
    What's the difference between pahari and potwari. Because as far as I gathered there is a distinction is the spoken language between the two
    Generally, I refer to people north of Rawalpindi as Potwari/Potohari and the folks to the east in AJK as Pahari. I don't know if that usage is correct. Lots of people seem to use the terms interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure Potohari/Potwari is referring to the Potohar plateau, while Pahari is referring to the hills/mountains to the east.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 11-11-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

AlluGobi (01-20-2021)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kashmiri
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a Y1331*
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b

United Kingdom Azad Kashmir Jammu and Kashmir Pakistan Afghanistan
    Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    Generally, I refer to people north of Rawalpindi as Potwari/Potohari and the folks to the east in AJK as Pahari. I don't know if that usage is correct. Lots of people seem to use the terms interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure Potohari/Potwari is referring to the Potohar plateau, while Pahari is referring to the hills/mountains to the east.
    that makes sense. I know there is a liguist difference. although the two dialects are similar there are some significant differences.
    One's homeland is not where you are born, but where all your attempts to escape, cease.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z93
    mtDNA (M)
    U2c1

United States of America Pashtunistan Afghanistan Greater Khorasan Azad Baluchistan Tajikistan
    Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post

The people in Pakistan (AJK) are not linguistically Pahari but may just be called that because they're highlanders. They speak Potohari/Potwarim which is a Panjabi dialect, but they are different from those in India and Nepal that actually speak Pahari/Khas.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mingle For This Useful Post:

poi (01-30-2018),  surbakhunWeesste (01-30-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjab - Salt Range
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M417
    mtDNA (M)
    M52a

Pakistan Canada United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    The people in Pakistan (AJK) are not linguistically Pahari but may just be called that because they're highlanders. They speak Potohari/Potwarim which is a Panjabi dialect, but they are different from those in India and Nepal that actually speak Pahari/Khas.
    Muzaffarabad, Neelum and probably parts of Bagh districts are the only places in Pakistan that can qualify as proper Kashmiri. All other districts are basically Jammu and by extension Pahari.

Also, people from AJK and Murree Hills do not speak Pothwari, but rather Pahari. In Jhelum and Rawalpindi, the word Pahari is reserved for the peoples of those areas and their language. Pothwari itself has variations and loses its Pahari influences in favor of Hindko's as you move from east to west within the region.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heir of Gandhara For This Useful Post:

bmoney (01-30-2018),  khanabadoshi (01-30-2018),  Kulin (01-30-2018),  poi (01-30-2018),  surbakhunWeesste (01-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    u2b2 gonur;swat

Quote Originally Posted by Heir of Gandhara View Post
    Muzaffarabad, Neelum and probably parts of Bagh districts are the only places in Pakistan that can qualify as proper Kashmiri. All other districts are basically Jammu and by extension Pahari.

Also, people from AJK and Murree Hills do not speak Pothwari, but rather Pahari. In Jhelum and Rawalpindi, the word Pahari is reserved for the peoples of those areas and their language. Pothwari itself has variations and loses its Pahari influences in favor of Hindko's as you move from east to west within the region.
    Can you post any video/recording of those language(s)?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post

Pahari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l25r-biCgwI
    Potwari: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZB_AtAlTw

I'm trying to find a more PG version of Pahari... I'll edit the post when I do. LOL... it's hard.

Here we go, rated G Pahari - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSXqbTZnyb8

BONUS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GID0gLfUKio
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 01-30-2018 at 03:24 AM.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

bmoney (01-30-2018),  surbakhunWeesste (01-30-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjab - Salt Range
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M417
    mtDNA (M)
    M52a

Pakistan Canada United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post
    This host is speaking the widely accepted standard Pothwari dialect:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_EI3mATyA

Another where a Hindu woman now in India recalls her partition story from Matore in Kahuta Rawalpindi in pristine Pothwari after all these years:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYnBMtT_u-Q

For Pahari I will post two videos:
    Murree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cqfc0dfkPc
    Mirpur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gSDxwv3NaQ

Murree one is straightforward but in the second video, the British boys are speaking a more pure accent. But Mirpur Pahari has some similarities with the Jhelum accent and the difference becomes more pronounced as you go towards Kotli and Palandri.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heir of Gandhara For This Useful Post:

bmoney (01-30-2018),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-30-2018),  poi (01-30-2018),  surbakhunWeesste (01-30-2018)

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast