Nepali Brahmin
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M198
    mtDNA (M)
    N1a

United States of America Nepal
    In response to Pahari Khas people, their history is obscured and kind of unknown. My questions is why is there a distinction of the type of Indo-European group in the Mountains and not so everywhere else on the Subcontinent? Like, there isn’t any other “tribe” that had existed and left a mark on culture anywhere else there.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657 >BY160158
    mtDNA (M)
    M30g
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L657 >Y6
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1

Quote Originally Posted by gyanwali View Post
    In response to Pahari Khas people, their history is obscured and kind of unknown. My questions is why is there a distinction of the type of Indo-European group in the Mountains and not so everywhere else on the Subcontinent? Like, there isn’t any other “tribe” that had existed and left a mark on culture anywhere else there.
    That's very interesting, although there are ethnic tribes in the plains, but not as pronounced as in the hills. Probably the plains allow for more human movement, thus less isolation. Eventually, tribes sort of blend into each other with changing empires and migrations. Relatively speaking.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

bmoney (11-25-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M30
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-L295

Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    That's very interesting, although there are ethnic tribes in the plains, but not as pronounced as in the hills. Probably the plains allow for more human movement, thus less isolation. Eventually, tribes sort of blend into each other with changing empires and migrations. Relatively speaking.
    Typical example are the Kalasha and the Hunza people

In the indo-gangetic plan you needed some superstrict caste system rules to maintain distinctions

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bmoney For This Useful Post:

poi (11-26-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Maithil

United Kingdom India Madhesi
    No Maithil or Bhojpuri uses the term "Bahun" because it isn't a part of our language.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Maithil

United Kingdom India Madhesi
    Yes, the Licchavis came from Vaishali and conquered the Kathamandu valley. The Malla dynasty came from Simraon (Tirhut division of Bihar) also in Mithila and also conquered Kathamandu:

Last edited by Toor; 11-26-2017 at 08:49 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toor For This Useful Post:

poi (11-26-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali Brahmin
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M198
    mtDNA (M)
    N1a

Quote Originally Posted by Toor View Post
    No Maithil or Bhojpuri uses the term "Bahun" because it isn't a part of our language.
    They don’t because it is different and Bahun refers to Khas Brahmins. The weird part is, because of Jung Bahadur, Khas Brahmins are regarded as the highest/purest, when in reality it is not true. Also, is there a genetic difference between Khas Brahmins and Maithili and Bhojpuri ones?

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657 >BY160158
    mtDNA (M)
    M30g
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L657 >Y6
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1

Quote Originally Posted by Toor View Post
    Yes, the Licchavis came from Vaishali in the Mithila (modern-day Bihar) and conquered the Kathamandu valley. The Malla dynasty came from Simraon (Tirhut division of Bihar) in Mithila and also conquered Kathamandu:

It sounds like the the substratum Nepali urban culture is Maithili, which was fused with TB Newars in Kathmandu during the Licchavis and the Mallas.. When the Khas conquered Kathmandu, it looks like they preserved existing culture and traditions of the Maithils and the Newars, but basically swapped the people and language in charge... out went the Mallas speaking Maithili/Newari and in came the Shahs/Ranas speaking Khaskura/Nepali.

I am very curious to see if this is seen in genetics. If my random hypothesis is correct, Newars' Indic Admixture is similar to Maithili Madhesis and not like the Khas Paharis. Also, the Khas bahuns also have much higher Maithili brahmin in them than other castes. Finally, the more West you go, the less Maithili admixture in all Khas castes.
    Last edited by poi; 11-26-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657 >BY160158
    mtDNA (M)
    M30g
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L657 >Y6
    mtDNA (P)
    U2C1

Quote Originally Posted by gyanwali View Post
    They don’t because it is different and Bahun refers to Khas Brahmins. The weird part is, because of Jung Bahadur, Khas Brahmins are regarded as the highest/purest, when in reality it is not true. Also, is there a genetic difference between Khas Brahmins and Maithili and Bhojpuri ones?
    I don't think that was weird at all. Jung B. Rana, being a Khas Pahari himself, probably preferred his own ethnic group's brahmins over conquered brahmins from the Newar, Maithil, and Bhojpur. Besides, the Shahs/Ranas wanted Nepali/Khaskura to be ubiqutious, so non-Nepali speaking brahmins would be potentially dangerous to the national unity. Language, even more so than religion, has potential for heightened nationalism.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

bmoney (11-27-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali Brahmin
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M198
    mtDNA (M)
    N1a

I don't think that was weird at all. Jung B. Rana, being a Khas Pahari himself, probably preferred his own ethnic group's brahmins over conquered brahmins from the Newar, Maithil, and Bhojpur. Besides, the Shahs/Ranas wanted Nepali/Khaskura to be ubiqutious, so non-Nepali speaking brahmins would be potentially dangerous to the national unity. Language, even more so than religion, has potential for heightened nationalism.
    Really? I was under the impression that he was a Magar. Although now that I think about it his mother was Magar.

Registered Users
    Sex

It sounds like the the substratum Nepali urban culture is Maithili, which was fused with TB Newars in Kathmandu during the Licchavis and the Mallas.. When the Khas conquered Kathmandu, it looks like they preserved existing culture and traditions of the Maithils and the Newars, but basically swapped the people and language in charge... out went the Mallas speaking Maithili/Newari and in came the Shahs/Ranas speaking Khaskura/Nepali.

I am very curious to see if this is seen in genetics. If my random hypothesis is correct, Newars' Indic Admixture is similar to Maithili Madhesis and not like the Khas Paharis. Also, the Khas bahuns also have much higher Maithili brahmin in them than other castes. Finally, the more West you go, the less Maithili admixture in all Khas castes.
    Could you explain ‘Khas Brahmins have much higher Maithili Brahmin in them than other castes.’ ?

Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast