Thread: R-CTS3386 ??? Any ideas about it's origin?

Sex

R-CTS3386 ??? Any ideas about it's origin?

Hi, I have only recently tested with FamilyTreeDNA, and have been matched with a number of people with the same surname, and a further 6/7 surnames of Leinster origin (Kildare/Kilkenny/Laois).

One of those who had the same surname is classified as R-CTS3386.

I have looked at a few of the names on the R-CTS3386 big Y Tree, and they are all coming back as Irish surnames associated with Leinster.

Any ideas of the origins of R-CTS3386?

I am trying to trace it back along the line of an ancient bloodline in the genealogies of Ireland associated with Leinster Kings.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    various European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY19442
    mtDNA (M)
    H3ac

United States of America Ireland England Czech Republic France Scotland
    Welcome!

As a whole, CTS3386 is fairly old - two different calculations for its age come up with it being around 3700 to 3900 years old. However...that being said, it has several branches underneath it that are quite a bit younger.

Can you provide your kit number? It'll make it easier to look up more on which CTS3386 lines in particular you're interested in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to swid For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (11-15-2017)

Sex

Quote Originally Posted by swid View Post
    Welcome!

As a whole, CTS3386 is fairly old - two different calculations for its age come up with it being around 3700 to 3900 years old. However...that being said, it has several branches underneath it that are quite a bit younger.

Can you provide your kit number? It'll make it easier to look up more on which CTS3386 lines in particular you're interested in.
    688963 is my kit number.

12690 is the kit number of the person who tested for CTS3386

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    various European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY19442
    mtDNA (M)
    H3ac

Thanks!

While I was able to find your kit match in the CTS3386 project, searching for your kit in the big R1b project (assuming you've joined that project; if you haven't, please do so) was unsuccessful due to timeout errors when trying to increase the number of results displayed per page.

I'll try again later on this evening to look it up.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    various European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY19442
    mtDNA (M)
    H3ac

Other than "this evening" ultimately being "the next morning", I was able to find your results in the R1b project and compare them to the CTS3386+ kit you match with. While a 34/37 match is promising, for Western European R1b men, 37-marker results and matches aren't all that great for making robust subclade predictions in the majority of cases. As your match has upgraded to 67 markers, if seeing if this particular match holds up is an interest of yours, it would be a good idea to upgrade to 67 markers as well. Also, if you have any other 37-marker matches and their results indicate that *they* have upgraded to 111 markers, you may want to move directly to that level as well.

Otherwise, if deep ancestry is your main interest, going the SNP Pack or Big Y route will probably be a wiser investment.

And finally, no matter what your results ultimately show, we have an ongoing thread about the Y lineages of Celtic nobility. The folks who post in that thread have as much knowledge as anyone about which Y lineages are suspected or known to be connected with the Leinster kings: http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...of-South-Wales

7. The Following User Says Thank You to swid For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (11-15-2017)

Sex

Thank you very much Swid. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to check that for me.

I suppose what I am interested in is to see if Rawlinson B 502 Irish Genealogies matches up with who I believe was the ancestral line of my surname, especially in terms of related surnames, etc.