Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interpreting My Ancestry - South Asian but mystery forbear?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a-MF10475
    mtDNA (M)
    N1d
    mtDNA (P)
    U7

United Kingdom Pakistan
    Thanks for the advice Thatagus. I might just do that. I'd quite like to test my paternal grandfather as I think I might get some further answers by looking at his data.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2A2 (R-P267)
    mtDNA (M)
    M52A

Surely there is enough resolution to tell if a person's West Asian is from Neolithic or from last three hundred years.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a-MF10475
    mtDNA (M)
    N1d
    mtDNA (P)
    U7

United Kingdom Pakistan
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage_sky View Post
    What are your Oracle 4 results for Gedrosia K12 and Harappa?

I second MonkeyDLuffy, your results are synonymous of Punjabis and Kashmiri Jatts.

What is your MtDNA?
    Hi vintage_sky, my MtDNA is N1D, which I've found out next to nothing about. Seems to be very little info about it online. Seems to be indigenous to South Asia but I was interested to probe further since my mum's maternal side is from Mansehra District, KPK.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahmed Ali For This Useful Post:

bmoney (11-22-2017),  parasar (11-22-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a-MF10475
    mtDNA (M)
    N1d
    mtDNA (P)
    U7

United Kingdom Pakistan
    Quote Originally Posted by redifflal View Post
    Surely there is enough resolution to tell if a person's West Asian is from Neolithic or from last three hundred years.
    Hi redifflal, that'd be so cool. Would solve my question almost instantly. 23andme's ancestry timeline says my middle eastern ancestry is from the past 200 years but I'm not sure how accurate that particular feature is..

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Ali View Post
    Hi redifflal, that'd be so cool. Would solve my question almost instantly. 23andme's ancestry timeline says my middle eastern ancestry is from the past 200 years but I'm not sure how accurate that particular feature is..
    23&me composition is the worst for South Asians or anyone who isn't European. My ancestry timeline says I got my Eastern euro in past 300 years, but I dont recall having any grandfather named Vlad. Kurd is pretty good at finding connections with said populations. Have you ran your data on K12 on geneplaza?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

redifflal (11-22-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M30
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-L295

Hi vintage_sky, my MtDNA is N1D, which I've found out next to nothing about. Seems to be very little info about it online. Seems to be indigenous to South Asia but I was interested to probe further since my mum's maternal side is from Mansehra District, KPK.
    N is similar to M - descended from the first ooA migration so is very old - its found all over the world not India specific

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bmoney For This Useful Post:

parasar (11-22-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a-MF10475
    mtDNA (M)
    N1d
    mtDNA (P)
    U7

United Kingdom Pakistan
    Heyy, just ran my data through gene plaza today. My K12 results are now back and I show as:

36.8% Ancient Farmers - 3.4% Western European, 4.5% Levant, 19.2% Neolithic-Chalcolithic Iran-CHG, 9.7% Eastern European
    33.4% Steppe Cultures - 13.5% Karasuk-e Scythian, 11.3% Andronovo-Srubnaya, 8.6% Yamnaya-Afanasievo-Poltavka
    23.3% SouthEast Eurasian
    3.5% Eastern NonAfrican
    3% African
    0% Western European and/or Scandinavian Hunter Gatherers

This seems like an interesting calculator.. Am still trying to make real sense of it. Any thoughts on my results? Is there anywhere I can cross-check my scores with those of a similar ethnic background to myself?

Many thanks for all the help guys - it's much appreciated.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahmed Ali For This Useful Post:

MonkeyDLuffy (11-25-2017),  Varun R (11-25-2017)

Gold Class Member

Afghanistan Jammu and Kashmir United States of America Canada
    That's really interesting - thanks for the insight MonkeyDLuffy. Interestingly, nearly all of my South Asian 23andme cousins (the non-Muslim ones) seem to have very Punjabi Khatri sounding surnames so that would seem to make sense. Although I did have a thought: my Mom is half-Pathan so could that be what's behind the slightly higher caucasian?

PS. Are Kashmiri Jatts different from Kashmiris per se ie. non-dardic? I'm interested because I have a lot of relatives who intermarried with Kashmiris but as far as I know I don't have any Kashmiri links as such (my maternal grandfather is from AJK but is quite sure he is a 'Bais Rajput' who I think are more closely related to Punajbi..)
    He meant Kashmiris, Jatts there are no such group as Kashmiri Jats. They typically are more near eastern shifted and less Steppe shifted. From what I have seen a lot of the Kashmiris are in fact people from Jammu dubbed "Kashmiri" . Though genetically, Kashmiris are very much related to groups in the Potohar plateau , which explains why Duffy said the Khatri group, as those people originate from that area (Potohar)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12