Nationality
    Argentinian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a2
    mtDNA (M)
    A2

Argentina Spain

Maya people vs Nahua people

What are the facial features of the Maya and Nahua (Aztec) people that make them different? Are they also roughly the same height? Do they both have similar noses? (I.e. Mayan Nose)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Nuts

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar_Medina92 View Post
    What are the facial features of the Maya and Nahua (Aztec) people that make them different? Are they also roughly the same height? Do they both have similar noses? (I.e. Mayan Nose)
    Today's descendants of the Aztec (Nahua) people live in and around Mexico City. They are more north of the Mayan who lived in central America (Yucatan, El Salvaodr, Belize). Mayans were from what is called today, Mesoamerica. Fullblooded Mayan and Aztecs would have been phenotypically very similar, unmixed. Like most groups, variation (even without admixture) is often seen.

Fullblooded Mayan from the Yucatan
    indigenous.jpg

Aztecs - This is a description of a fullblood.
    "The Aztecs were short and stocky, the men rarely more than 5 feet 6 inches tall (The average height of men in the 1600s between 5'5 - 5'8) and the women more delicately built with an average height of about 4 feet 8 inches. Skin color varied from dark to light brown, and the typical Aztec face was broad with a prominent, and often hooked, nose. eyes were black or brown almond-shaped, and frequently with epic anthic folds at the outer corners, one indication that the ancestors of the Mexicans had migrated into the New World from Asia in the long-distant past."
    http://www.mexica.net/nahuatl/physical.php

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U152+Z36+A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    Interesting subject. As someone who has worked on the Wind River Indian Reservation in Wyoming, which is the home of the Eastern Shoshone Tribe of Native Americans, the description given of the Aztecs generally fits modern Shoshones. In fact, jokes are made here about how short Shoshone people are (made mostly by the tall, thin Arapahos who share their reservation). Aztec tradition states that their original homeland was a place in the far north called Aztlan and the Nahuatl language and Shoshone tongues are both Uto-Aztecan in origin.

As my wife is a descendant of the Aztec Emperor Moctezuma II, I have studied her pre-Columbian lineage somewhat. Multiple intermarriages occurred between Aztec noblemen and the native Valley of Mexico residents in the two centuries before the arrival of Cortes. Did this happen at all levels of society? If so, I would speculate that even by the time of the arrival of the Europeans, there may not have been a stand-out "look" associated with the Aztecs, who may have not looked that different from the locals to begin with. Then and now, they would have looked different from the Mayans, who, in my opinion, have very distinctive features.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (12-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L21 L513*

United States of America Ireland Germany Belgium Wallonia
    Not sure you were looking for admixture examples, but this is my daughter adopted from Guatemala. She tracks 50% "Amerindian" - Mayan in her case, 20% Iberian, 10% Europe South, and the rest a smattering of African and European small percentages. Her mtDNA also tracks Mayan. Fairly typical for admixed Mayan heritage from what I'm led to believe.

Her birth mother was from El Salvador and her birth father from Guatemala. I have been told by other Central Americans that her almond-shaped eyes are more typical El Salvadorean - whether true or not there at least appears to be a belief in distinct regional features within Central America.

Attached Images Attached Images