Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Historically, men translated the Odyssey. Here’s what happened when a woman took the

Veteran Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish Canadian
    Nationality
    Canada
    Y-DNA (P)
    L513->Z23516>BY11142
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bd

Canada Ireland Scotland England Ireland County Tipperary Canada Old Newfoundland

"Historically, men translated the Odyssey. Here’s what happened when a woman took the

an interesting read I thought
    ... I read the original in school, but I have no clue which translation it was
    ...I do remember that even high school English taught by a not particularly good teacher could not crush the fun inherent in one of the oldest of adventure yarns
    ... acknowledging the status and problems of slaves in the story was not on the agenda then

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...-woman-english

Mike

ps-the quote I used for the title was too long and cut off the last word, "job"
    Furthest Y line=Patrick Whealen 1816-1874, b.Tipperary Co. Ire. d. Kincardine Ont.

Y-DNA-RL21-L513-Z23516-BY11142('lost Irish 'C' boys?')

FTDNA=P312+ P25+ M343+ M269+ M207+ M173+ L513+ U198- U152- U106- SRY2627- P66- P107- M73- M65- M37- M222- M18- M160- M153- M126- L705- L577- L193- L159.2- L1333-
    Big-Y=Z23516+
    23&me=L21+
    E.A.= S21-, S26-, S28-, S29-, S68-
    Geno 2 (N.G.P.) H1bd+

Whalen/Phelan DNA Surname Project
    Hidden Content

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeWhalen For This Useful Post:

alexfritz (11-27-2017),  JMcB (11-26-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-Z253>BY93500
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Well, if anyone can "crush the fun inherent in one of the oldest of adventure yarns", it would be a feminist.

facepalm statue.jpg
    Last edited by rms2; 11-26-2017 at 09:55 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-26-2017),  alexfritz (11-27-2017),  Gravetto-Danubian (11-26-2017),  kostoffj (11-27-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z18271
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c5
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    U7a5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    I'll take Emily seriously when she'll be able to accurately translate my signature.
    מכורותיך ומולדותיך מארץ הכנעני אביך האמורי ואמך חתית
    יחזקאל פרק טז ג-

᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

kostoffj (11-27-2017),  Ric (09-19-2018),  rms2 (11-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German/dutch/english
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP263
    mtDNA (M)
    H42a

United States of America Germany Netherlands Switzerland England Bohemia
    Par for the vox.com course, lol.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kostoffj For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-27-2017),  rms2 (11-27-2017)

It's not right to make fun of the mentally ill, no matter how much they are humoured

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pascal C For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-27-2017),  rms2 (11-27-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

This is a great article. A highly necessary effort. Thanks for the share. I'm loving "The Arts" section of this forum already.

This is especially laudable because Wilson aims to invite readers to engage more actively with the text, through the use of plain language. This is something no translator has dared to do. Most translations seem tedious to read--valuable, but tedious.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT171815
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b3f

United States of America Norway Sweden Wales England Germany Bayern
    I'm all for plain language, as long as it "translates" fairly to modern speech. I loved the Seamus Heaney translation of Beowulf. But...

This is probably heresy--but even as a woman I am getting really, really tired of feminism; I'll give her points for not using the term "herstory." The Odyssey is a peek into ancient history and the culture thereof. I really don't think anyone reading it is unaware that slavery was endemic in the ancient world or that the role of women was constrained, or even that the far past is often brutal. Nor do I see how a story from thousands of years in the past, composed by a people and a culture that is also thousands years in the past endorses "this very hierarchical kind of society as if that’s what heroism is" creates an obligation on her part to rub readers' noses in how she sees the saga. Gah.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I think you are absolutely right. I think feminism is a necessary social movement. It has led to so many welcome changes, but it is also misinterpreted and misappropriated. But what social movement/impulse isn't? We misunderstand communism, capitalism, environmentalism, etc. So, it doesn't surprise me that there are those who push feminism too far.

But I also think the translation in question doesn't merely aim to call readers' attention to how it was back then. I think it's an attempt to show that we are not yet far from that social order. We certainly are far--because we recognize misogyny and slavery as grave problems, but they still persist.

So the "plain language" serves to evoke in the reader the contours of the contemporary social order--what will all its inequities and injustices. That's my humble interpretation of this

I hope this made sense

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mainer For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (09-10-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT171815
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b3f

United States of America Norway Sweden Wales England Germany Bayern
    Quote Originally Posted by mainer View Post
    I think you are absolutely right. I think feminism is a necessary social movement. It has led to so many welcome changes, but it is also misinterpreted and misappropriated. But what social movement/impulse isn't? We misunderstand communism, capitalism, environmentalism, etc. So, it doesn't surprise me that there are those who push feminism too far.

But I also think the translation in question doesn't merely aim to call readers' attention to how it was back then. I think it's an attempt to show that we are not yet far from that social order. We certainly are far--because we recognize misogyny and slavery as grave problems, but they still persist.

So the "plain language" serves to evoke in the reader the contours of the contemporary social order--what will all its inequities and injustices. That's my humble interpretation of this

I hope this made sense
    I admit what came across to me as a somewhat self-congratulatory, a little smug, tone in the article irritated me. I am also in my mid-60's and getting a little cranky I earned my science degrees in the 70's, was a volunteer EMT/firefighter in the 80's, I am well aware of how things can be--and of how much progress has been made.

My problem with her stated purpose, admittedly as I see it, is that in large part the audience that will be reading her translation is one already aware that these problems existed and still exist in various parts of the world. The Odyssey is a story of millennial old people/culture and has value for its own sake. I have no problem with new translations, as I said, I enjoyed Haney's Beowulf very much, I just am becoming uneasy with the growing trend of turning these ancient stories into morality lessons for people living far removed from the origin of these stories.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lirio100 For This Useful Post:

Bas (09-19-2018),  JosephK (09-10-2018),  sktibo (09-11-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by Lirio100 View Post
    I admit what came across to me as a somewhat self-congratulatory, a little smug, tone in the article irritated me. I am also in my mid-60's and getting a little cranky I earned my science degrees in the 70's, was a volunteer EMT/firefighter in the 80's, I am well aware of how things can be--and of how much progress has been made.

My problem with her stated purpose, admittedly as I see it, is that in large part the audience that will be reading her translation is one already aware that these problems existed and still exist in various parts of the world. The Odyssey is a story of millennial old people/culture and has value for its own sake. I have no problem with new translations, as I said, I enjoyed Haney's Beowulf very much, I just am becoming uneasy with the growing trend of turning these ancient stories into morality lessons for people living far removed from the origin of these stories.
    Wow! A firefighter? That's amazing! I'm sure that must have made you privy to a lot of gender politics. And thanks for clarifying your stance. I believe I understand you better now

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mainer For This Useful Post:

Lirio100 (09-11-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast