Thread: H2a2a1

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA
    H1bb

United Kingdom Romani

H2a2a1

Looking for more H2a2a1!

I'm trying to build my knowledge on my ancestry from the ground up pretty much.
    I believe this (for me) comes from Russia/East Euro. I might be wrong but I get a lot of central Asia Russian markers (even DNA.land picks it up) and also Hungarian seems to be a running theme.
    Any info would be great, thank you.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Armenian
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA
    J2a1h2
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

Armenia United States of America Brazil Greece
    Not so sure. But I came out with the same mtDNA result. I am Armenian.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

Canada Quebec United Kingdom Ireland Finland
    I'll be interested to see if anyone can shed some light on the region that this haplogroup covers.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    N-L1025

Canada Germany Finland United Kingdom
    Hello, I'm also H2a2a1.

My maternal line come from East Germany. If you look at the maps on FtDNA's H2 project and look for H2a2a1 it will give you a map of users who tested the same. Its found pretty much everywhere in Europe but Poland, Germany, GB and Scandanavia seem to have the highest frequency.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Venetharum natio populosa
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029>YP263>Y2912*
    mtDNA
    H, U5a1b1(wife)

Ancient samples with H2a2a1:
    - Roman from London (50-70 AD)
    - Anglo-Saxon from Hinxton (690-881 AD)
    - Proto-Bulgarian from Nojarevo (700-900 AD)
    - Proto-Bulgarian from Tuhovishte (800-1000 AD)
    - Slav from Detkovice, Czechia (11th c. AD)

H2a2a1 distribution map
    Screen_Hunter_2087_Nov_30_16_12.jpg
    https://www.familytreedna.com/public...p?iframe=mtmap
    Last edited by Waldemar; 11-30-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

Unfortunately that map might be a bit misleading. Since these are self submitted data points, we can't determine the extent of where this haplogroup covers because there are very likely areas that nobody submitted from. And if one looks at the whole map, you see a bunch of markers in the US. Does this mean the locations are based on the address that the person is living at, or is it based on their known ancestry?

The ancient samples might be more informative, but still not nearly enough to get an idea of range.

Not a criticism mind you, just a pity that this information isn't available yet it seems.

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA
    H1bb

United Kingdom Romani
    H1 and H3 are western Europe and H2 is eastern Europe. I've read so many articles etc over the past month or so and found H2a2a1 from eastern Europe, to central Russia, down into Kazakhstan and near countries and also in Armenia and surrounding countries. Basically a circle.
    It might also have Turkic links but I'm not 100% sure.

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA
    H1bb

United Kingdom Romani
    Also I wouldn't rely on the UK data, since we're just a smaller melting pot similar to America at this point.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

Quote Originally Posted by kitbluee View Post
    H1 and H3 are western Europe and H2 is eastern Europe. I've read so many articles etc over the past month or so and found H2a2a1 from eastern Europe, to central Russia, down into Kazakhstan and near countries and also in Armenia and surrounding countries. Basically a circle.
    It might also have Turkic links but I'm not 100% sure.
    It's funny that until you mentioned that, I hadn't taken much notice. But going back to 23andMe's description, sure enough there it was:

Origin and Migrations of Haplogroup H2a

Nearly 12,000 years ago, haplogroup H gave rise to the maternal lineage H2. H2a is a common branch of haplogroup H2 that likely arose nearly 11,000 years ago in Turkey or the nearby Caucasus Mountains. For thousands of years, humans had been pushed back from the north of the continent by a wave of cold that covered northern Asia in tundra and created extreme deserts in Central Asia and the Middle East. Several older branches of H2a still reside in the region among present-day populations of Daghestan, on the western shore of the Caspian Sea, where the haplogroup reaches levels of 25%.

As the harsh climate gradually retreated, humans re-emerged from their isolated refuges, and northward migrations likely carried H2a up the Volga River to the northern Ural Mountains, where it gradually spread through parts of Russia and Central Asia. Migrations from the Middle East also carried H2a into eastern European populations. Russians, Estonians, and Finns all carry H2a at levels of more than 6%. Those migrations may have involved women who spoke the Finno-Ugric languages of central Russia, because both the Finnish and Estonian languages derive from those non-European roots.
    I think I took a look at their map that was for all of haplogroup H and didn't see the specific discussion of h2a's domain.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to therrien.joel For This Useful Post:

Judith (01-09-2018),  kitbluee (12-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA
    H1bb

United Kingdom Romani
    These are my latest calcs from Lukasz' k30 in case anyone else is interested:

9.12% Caucasian (Chechen, Kabardin, Adygei, Avar, LEzgin, Tabassaran, Abkhazian)
    3.88% Paleo-Balkan (ONLY Albanians form Tirana and Kosovo, no South Slavs, no Greeks)
    1.84% East-Med (Cyprus, Christian Lebanon, Samaritan, NO Druzes)
    12.47% SW-Euro (Basque French and Spanish)
    11.02% East-Slavic (Ukraine Chernigov, Belgorod, Belarussian Polesye, Russian Kursk, Orjol, Smolensk)
    1.31% Volgan (Chuvash)
    24.79% Celtic (English Cornwall, Irish, Scotland)
    0.15% Uralic (Mansi, Khanty, Forest Nenet)
    8.23% West-Finnic (Vepsian, Karelian, Ingrian)
    0.51% Amazonian (Surui, Karitiana)
    2.66% Baltic (Latvian)
    13.99% Scando-Germanic (Sweden, Norway)
    3.41% West-Med (Sardinian)
    3.49% Pamirian (Tajik Pomiri and Yagnobi)

basically all the regions that are mentioned there, I have a part of lol.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kitbluee For This Useful Post:

Judith (01-09-2018),  palamede (01-31-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast