Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: East Asian/South-East Asian ancestry in South Asians?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by redifflal View Post
    Speaking of hooded eyes, what is the deal with some Punjabis getting it? Nusrat has it and to some extent Rahat has it too. My wife also has it kind of and I see our child also has it lol.
    I have hooded eyes and my east asian is close to none. It just exist in every community around the world I believe, also could be a trait that came via central asia.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

bmoney (12-06-2017),  redifflal (12-04-2017),  Rez (12-04-2017),  Reza (12-05-2017),  Targum (12-05-2017),  Zayd (12-04-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Bangladeshi
    Y-DNA (P)
    H

Bangladesh Italy Italy Veneto Republic of Venice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rez View Post
    My paternal grandfather looks completely Assamese, and my eyes are heavily hooded
    Nice to see another Bengali. We Bangladeshis are very homogenous and i dont think traits are directly linked with scores.I have same east Asian % as you or any other Bangaldeshis but nobody in my family has any visible east Asian traits.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zayd For This Useful Post:

Reza (12-05-2017)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L657
    mtDNA (M)
    M4b1

Quote Originally Posted by Rez View Post
    Thank you very much haha, it's short for Rezwana.
    I've actually come across your results before - you are like semi-famous (or shall I say the only lead) for any bengali trying to compare their Gedmatch results
    Now that I look again, my results really aren't different to yours and your family. It's a little different to that other one "Bengali AVG".
    I think Sylhetis and Rangpuris have similar east asian mixes, probably higher for sylhetis.
    Aha. Infamy.. Just a paucity of Bengali results available to compare with on gedmatch, but that's all changing now! We seem to have a fair few people now from various corners of the region. I'm yet to see any from Dhaka proper though, rather surprisingly.

I would imagine the North and East of Bangladesh would score more East Asian, but it would be good to understand where that's come from. Austroasiatic tribes vs TibetoBurman tribes. And when in our history.

That Bengali average does seem odd but difficult to say what is standard and what is not.

Anything of note from your family background? Where in Assam did your paternal great grandfather come from?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reza For This Useful Post:

redifflal (12-05-2017),  Rez (12-05-2017),  Zayd (12-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bangladeshi
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    H
    mtDNA (M)
    C

Bangladesh Canada
    Hey Rez. I'm a Bengali as well and I generally score higher in Northeast Asian on the GEDMatch calculators, and higher in Southeast Asian in recent ancestry calculators like 23andme and FTDNA. One of the members here ran my GEDMatch results through an Oracle that tests for East Asian ancestry and he suspects that my NE Asian comes from Mongolian ancestry carried by a tribal Tibeto-Burman/Austro-Asiatic group. The information out there is too cloudy to say anything for certain but it would be cool to have some Mongolian descent.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

bmoney (12-06-2017),  MonkeyDLuffy (12-05-2017),  redifflal (12-05-2017),  Zayd (12-05-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Bangladeshi
    Y-DNA (P)
    H

Bangladesh Italy Italy Veneto Republic of Venice
    Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    Aha. Infamy.. Just a paucity of Bengali results available to compare with on gedmatch, but that's all changing now! We seem to have a fair few people now from various corners of the region. I'm yet to see any from Dhaka proper though, rather surprisingly.

I would imagine the North and East of Bangladesh would score more East Asian, but it would be good to understand where that's come from. Austroasiatic tribes vs TibetoBurman tribes. And when in our history.

That Bengali average does seem odd but difficult to say what is standard and what is not.

Anything of note from your family background? Where in Assam did your paternal great grandfather come from?
    For Dhaka proper we have to look for a Kutti from old Dhaka.The rest of Dhakayas are recent immigrants from all over the country.

Gold Class Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post

Parts of northern Bangladesh (when Bangal) were quite Purnea like - eg. Dinajpur.
    It was contiguous with Bihar until 1956 when the Indian states were reorganized to join the two portions of West Bangal.
    http://lawmin.nic.in/ld/P-ACT/1956/A1956-40.pdf

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

bmoney (12-06-2017),  MonkeyDLuffy (12-05-2017),  poi (12-05-2017),  redifflal (12-05-2017),  Searcher (12-06-2017),  Zayd (12-05-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2A2 (R-P267)
    mtDNA (M)
    M52A

Quote Originally Posted by parasar View Post
    Parts of northern Bangladesh (when Bangal) were quite Purnea like - eg. Dinajpur.
    It was contiguous with Bihar until 1956 when the Indian states were reorganized to join the two portions of West Bangal.
    http://lawmin.nic.in/ld/P-ACT/1956/A1956-40.pdf
    Interesting tidbit I thought, even as late as Tagore, he wrote poetry in Maithili language as well. In Baul tradition, there is Parvati Das Baul nowadays who is bringing back original Baul poems composed in Buddhist era in the intermediate proto language for Bangla/Pali/Maithili/Nepali.

The language didn't sound close to Bengali as we know it today or even Bankim Chandra's Bengali, but I could see its place in the evolutionary history of Bengali.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redifflal For This Useful Post:

parasar (12-06-2017),  Zayd (12-06-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12