Thread: Oddly specific WeGene mtDNA haplogroup?

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a2a1a2c1f3
    mtDNA (M)
    W1

United States of America Ireland Switzerland France

Question Oddly specific WeGene mtDNA haplogroup?

I uploaded my AncestryDNA raw data to WeGene and it gave me the maternal haplogroup L1c1a1, which seems oddly specific based on what I have been reading about others who have uploaded their Ancestry data. It is also completely unexpected because I show no African ancestry in ethnicity estimates and have traced my maternal line back to England using ancestry.com. This haplogroup is common among the Pygmy people and is extremely rare outside of Africa.

Knowing that the accuracy of the mtdna prediction based off of Ancestry raw data is not great (if there is any accuracy at all? I am still not sure what mtdna they can get from the Ancestry tests), I decided to upload my mother's raw Ancestry data to WeGene to see if it would predict the same thing. It did exactly - L1c1a1. I'm wondering if anyone knows what to make of this. I'm going to order an mtdna test, but in the meantime I am curious if there is any chance this is accurate?

I think it's accurate, but to get this deep subclade is unexpected. My boyfriend uploaded his ancestryDNA data and got extremely unspecified mtDNA haplogroup.

Maybe every person genome has different resolution...
    Last edited by Feiichy; 12-08-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a2a1a2c1f3
    mtDNA (M)
    W1

I was definitely expecting to just get a broad/unspecified mtDNA haplogroup like I've seen other people describing. So it is super weird to me that it came out how it did. And since my mom's raw data got the same result it seems to be based off of -something- with our mtDNA. I wish I knew more about wegenes process for this. I speak a very small amount of Chinese but not enough to email them about something this complicated haha

Thank you for your response! It helps seeing what other people with Ancestry raw data got for mtDNA.

If this is true and that is my mt haplogroup, I have a lot of research to start doing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to moonsugar For This Useful Post:

Feiichy (12-09-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a10a

United States of America England
    If the AncestryDNA data is readable by eye, you could double-check the markers against Phylotree at http://www.phylotree.org/tree/index.htm

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a2a1a2c1f3
    mtDNA (M)
    W1

It is readable but the data is listed as rsid/chromosome/position/alleles.

I'm pretty new to all this so I am not sure what to look for. On phylotree it lists G10398A, T14034C, and T16223C for L1c1a1. Is the number in the middle the rsid number? If so, ancestry's data does not include these.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a2a1a2c1f3
    mtDNA (M)
    W1

I wanted to update this thread - I tested with 23andMe and found out my haplogroup is actually W1. The reason Wegene did not catch this is because I am missing one of the defining markers for haplogroup W. I have 15884G instead of 15884C. But otherwise, I have all the other defining markers, including the one specific to W1. I'm not sure what this means in terms of a subclade but I know I fit somewhere beyond haplogroup N2 on the tree.