Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    H-L901/M2939
    mtDNA
    C4a1a

Finland Mongolia Bangladesh Japan Thailand Uzbekistan

This or FTDNA?

I got my autosomal testing done at 23andme and I want to find out my SNPs and real mtDNA. Is this the way to go? It seems cheaper but it might be missing important things.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Searcher For This Useful Post:

NiamhWitch (06-06-2018),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (01-18-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC29071
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1g*

Ireland England Netherlands Germany France
    Ultimately, the decision depends on what you wish to learn, how much personal investment of time you wish to make, and the closest haplogroup project that your 23&Me test turned up.

The cost for mtDNA at YSEQ is attractive but most of the mtDNA projects live within FTDNA's ecosystem. You can share the results with those admins or run them through James Lick's https://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/ to find your terminal group. The downside is you can't participate in matching. The usefulness of mtDNA matches is debatable though.

When it comes to the Y panels, I really like the R1b versions of YSEQ's products. In many cases they are more comprehensive than the FTDNA equivalent, since they can be updated on the fly when group admins report new branches to the YSEQ team. With FTDNA you are still locked into their STR testing system with Y DNA. All of their matching systems are predicated on having STR results. Depending on your SNP branch these may be unnecessary, since NGS testing has been turning up genealogically relevant branches. Outside of R this might not be the case though.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JamesKane For This Useful Post:

MacUalraig (12-09-2017),  morrisondna (01-19-2018),  Robert1 (12-09-2017),  Searcher (12-09-2017),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (01-18-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

I would broadly agree with what James says. mtDNA is little more than a curiosity. For Y SNPs YSEQ are very good and 'matching' can be done on forums, fb, google etc. FTDNA don't do SNP matching - they just display what SNPs are available (if any) for whoever pops up in your STR match list, and the correlation between SNP and STR matches can be poor.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Searcher (12-09-2017),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (01-18-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    H-L901/M2939
    mtDNA
    C4a1a

Thank you all for the assistance.

Just a quick question. If my 23andme autosomal Y-Hap guess was H-M52, what do I purchase from Yseq?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27>FGC13557
    mtDNA
    H3-T152C!

Netherlands Netherlands Limburg Germany Belgium Netherlands Noord-Brabant
    The H-L901 panel contains M52 and its subclades: https://www.yseq.net/product_info.ph...ducts_id=56678

Paternal Y-DNA: R-DF27>Z220>S21184>FGC13557>FGC43335, DYS487=Null, MDKA: Arnoldus Otten, d. 1721 Schinnen, Netherlands (FTDNA: N126593)
    Paternal mtDNA: U5a2c4, MDKA: Maria de Baur, d 1761, Sittard, Netherlands
    Paternal grandmother Y-DNA: R-U106>Z18>S17721+, MDKA: Adriaan Petri Brouwers, Oosterhout, Netherlands
    Maternal Y-DNA: R-U152>Y22447+, MDKA: Göttgens, confirmed NPE (FGC: X5ZNK)
    Maternal mtDNA: H3-T152C!, MDKA: Helena Cuijpers, d. 1778 Spaubeek, Netherlands

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gotten For This Useful Post:

Searcher (01-19-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    H-L901/M2939
    mtDNA
    C4a1a

Thanks!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ingrian + Russian
    Nationality
    Swedish, Russian
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1:Z92FGC46016
    mtDNA
    J1c3k

Finland Russian Federation Sweden
    My opinion is:

1. mtDN - FamilyTreeDNA. Very good quality (better than Whole Genome Sequencing) and the size of the database.

2. Transfer your 23andme results to FTDNA. No, I wouldn't do it. FTDNA has a chip tha is a lot different. Just order FamilyFinder with the next sale.

3. If it is Y chromosome, than I would do Y-67 or Y-111, I don't find BigY so wonderful and I would recommend to do WGS and YFull.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to karwiso For This Useful Post:

Searcher (01-19-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Which company do you recommend for WGS, and why?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC29071
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1g*

Ireland England Netherlands Germany France
    I ordered mine from YSEQ when they announced their lab partner is using the current generation NovaSEQ instruments. This was a more expensive option than going with the current price leader in the segment, Dante Labs. The reasoning for going this route is Dante is very tight lipped about the statistics of the test being performed and the read lengths match those in my old Y Elite test. The YSEQ offering is the bigger upgrade as far what was available and what I was willing to spend.

That said I should have metrics for the Dante Labs results coverage in the next few days and will be able to add them to the Y DNA NGS coverage comparison.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JamesKane For This Useful Post:

gotten (01-19-2018),  JMcB (01-19-2018),  Marmaduke (01-22-2018),  Searcher (01-19-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by JamesKane View Post
    I ordered mine from YSEQ when they announced their lab partner is using the current generation NovaSEQ instruments. This was a more expensive option than going with the current price leader in the segment, Dante Labs. The reasoning for going this route is Dante is very tight lipped about the statistics of the test being performed and the read lengths match those in my old Y Elite test. The YSEQ offering is the bigger upgrade as far what was available and what I was willing to spend.

That said I should have metrics for the Dante Labs results coverage in the next few days and will be able to add them to the Y DNA NGS coverage comparison.
    I have also ordered WGS from YSEQ --- two tests so far. Turnaround time was excellent and service outstanding.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morrisondna For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-19-2018),  Searcher (01-27-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast