Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

United States of America England Ireland Scotland Wales Germany

Community For Southwest Scotland

Hi all. This is my first post since I joined this fascinating forum. It's so informative and interesting! I'm impressed with many of the members too.

Ancestry DNA just created quite a few new genetic communities. Southwest Scotland wasn't one of them. Much of my ancestry comes from this area, so I'm curious as to what replacements or substitutes may be in its place. For instance, could it be labeled as Northern Irish? There is and was so much back and forth between Ulster and Southwest Scotland. People, in both places, share genes. The other Scottish categories don't seem quite right since Southwest Scotland (even the Lowlands) differs from Southeast Scotland. My main concern is that I will be placed in the wrong community.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anglo-Celtic For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    Hi all. This is my first post since I joined this fascinating forum. It's so informative and interesting! I'm impressed with many of the members too.

Ancestry DNA just created quite a few new genetic communities. Southwest Scotland wasn't one of them. Much of my ancestry comes from this area, so I'm curious as to what replacements or substitutes may be in its place. For instance, could it be labeled as Northern Irish? There is and was so much back and forth between Ulster and Southwest Scotland. People, in both places, share genes. The other Scottish categories don't seem quite right since Southwest Scotland (even the Lowlands) differs from Southeast Scotland. My main concern is that I will be placed in the wrong community.
    'Central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland' pretty much covers it if you look at the map. It's the one I'm in.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    GEDMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA), 9427684 (GEDCOM) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (12-10-2017),  JMcB (01-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    No, it wouldn't be Northern Ireland, since there is actually a native Irish community there aswell. My ancestry results reflect that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (12-10-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    'Central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland' pretty much covers it if you look at the map. It's the one I'm in.
    I again looked at the categories. The groupings and labels seemed quite arbitrary and convoluted. For example, it was strange that areas in Canada were included with Highlanders. I understand that they were emigrants to parts of Canada, but one could make the same argument for the inclusion of Cape Fear.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    No, it wouldn't be Northern Ireland, since there is actually a native Irish community there aswell. My ancestry results reflect that.
    The other poster received that result, though. It makes sense because Southwest Scotland and Ulster are close to each other in more ways than one. I agree that Southeast Scotland wouldn't cluster as much with the Native Irish. That's why I think that the areas should be divided.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    I have a Scottish Genetic Community and an Ulster Genetic Community which is native Irish. Obviously, the Scottish one is not native Irish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (12-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I have a Scottish Genetic Community and an Ulster Genetic Community which is native Irish. Obviously, the Scottish one is not native Irish.
    It's not, but there are some genetic similarities in the case of close groups. Ulster and Southwestern Scotland are close. It's likely that the latter would match Native Irish populations to a good extent. That's not so much the case with other Scottish populations.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anglo-Celtic For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Celtic View Post
    I again looked at the categories. The groupings and labels seemed quite arbitrary and convoluted. For example, it was strange that areas in Canada were included with Highlanders. I understand that they were emigrants to parts of Canada, but one could make the same argument for the inclusion of Cape Fear.
    Only if people in Cape Fear matched the DNA algorithm. The signal may be too dispersed and that colony is quite a bit older than the movements to Canada.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    GEDMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA), 9427684 (GEDCOM) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic (12-12-2017),  JMcB (01-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    Only if people in Cape Fear matched the DNA algorithm. The signal may be too dispersed and that colony is quite a bit older than the movements to Canada.
    They likely don't even have a sample large enough to be useful. I'm not sure about the current population demographics in Cape Fear, but it was a destination for the Highland Scottish (for those who don't know).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anglo-Celtic For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    I'd prefer if Canada wasn't included in the Scottish Genetic Community to be honest. It's not part of Scotland and most people with Scottish ancestry won't be Canadian.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-11-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast