Ethnicity
    Ethiopian-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1c2
    mtDNA (M)
    L3i2

United States of America Ethiopia

DE/YAP+ origin?

On the basis of what evidence do some claim that DE/YAP+ originated in Asia?

IIRC, the majority opinion is that it originated in (likely Eastern) Africa and spread from there. DE* has been found in Western Africa and more recently in Tibet. E is of course the haplogroup in Africa, while D is only present in some diverse and "ancient" populations in Asia (e.g. Ainu, Andamans, Tibetans).

Obviously, prevalence doesn't prove anything, but I do think an African origin is more likely than a back-migration so successful it takes over the continent. In fact, many of those lay persons arguing on the internet probably have ulterior motives, wanting to classify E1b1b as Eurasian.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezana For This Useful Post:

NetNomad (08-13-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*

England United Kingdom England
    Surely if DE* was discovered in both Western Africa and Tibet one would postulate an origin at any point in-between the two?

From what you've described alone (more evidence/data would help fine-tune the possibilities) I don't see anything to suggest DE*-YAP+ definitively originated in Africa.

One could argue the cases of DE*-YAP+ in either location is simply a function of prehistoric demic diffusion from a more medial position, such as the Arabian Peninsula. Such a proposal also explains why E is pred. located in Africa and portions of West Eurasia, whilst D is located deep inside Asia (i.e. branching in two directions from the intermediate source).

I don't claim any special insight on this matter, but again, there are more possibilities than what you are proposing with confidence here.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ethiopian-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1c2
    mtDNA (M)
    L3i2

Right, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I just think the evidence points to an African origin.

We know there were humans in Africa when DE/YAP+ arose, but we're still not sure of when the major Out-of-Africa migration occurred exactly. They're both around 60-70kya, though, so if the OOA migration were the major peopling event of Eurasia, we'd expect to see a lot more D throughout the region. Instead, it's CF in which the majority of Eurasian clades fall in, while the majority of African clades fall in DE. Coincidence? I think not.

Registered Users
    Sex

The Eurasian origin theories for YAP are mainly based on the fact that in the CT-M168 group only E is considered 'African'. Also, there's the theory that proto-Eurasians (CT-M168 clan) underwent a major genetic bottleneck around 75-55 kya due to hyper-aridity conditions of that period in the Middle East (explaining the CT-M168 bottleneck). IMO, they should give those various DE* samples new sub-clades and more ancient DNA (pre-Neolithic/upper-Paleolithic) samples from Africa should be analyzed to give us a clearer picture.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetNomad For This Useful Post:

DMXX (08-13-2012),  Ezana (08-13-2012)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ethiopian-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1c2
    mtDNA (M)
    L3i2

Quote Originally Posted by NetNomad View Post
    The Eurasian origin theories for YAP are mainly based on the fact that in the CT-M168 group only E is considered 'African'.
    Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Where are we in knowing the origin of M168? I guess nowhere, since no CT* men are known.

Quote Originally Posted by NetNomad View Post
    Also, there's the theory that proto-Eurasians (CT-M168 clan) underwent a major genetic bottleneck around 75-55 kya due to hyper-aridity conditions of that period in the Middle East (explaining the CT-M168 bottleneck). IMO, they should give those various DE* samples new sub-clades and more ancient DNA (pre-Neolithic/upper-Paleolithic) samples from Africa should be analyzed to give us a clearer picture.
    Yes, more DE* samples and resolving clades would go a long way to solving this problem. Then we could just find the region of greatest DE(xD,E) diversity.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-FGC14388
    mtDNA (M)
    T1

The origin of DE is ambiguous. It may represent a post-OOA migration into Africa, or a later migration out of Africa. Another likely possibility is that it was part of the same OOA migration that spread Y-DNA CT into Eurasia. This is supported by the very close age estimates of CT and DE (the absolute dates may be incorrect, but the relative ages should be right).

Gold Class Member
    Sex

As far as I know, the only long (and FTDNA) haplotype of a DE* comes from Syria. See kit 130501 in the Early Branches project. He lists 37 markers, but an upgrade to 67 has been ordered.