Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    H

Past Big Y testers get special deal on Y STR upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww
    Anyway I will ask FTDNA to provide the upgrades to people pre holiday sale Big Y orders that were pending as of the conference. Don’t expect anything to come of that but I will give it shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewww View Post
    I have gone ahead with my first swing on this so this will at least get some more thought.

I will take two more swings before it is a strike out but I have to remind myself that the carrot works better than the stick. One has to appeal to one’s better nature.
    http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...l=1#post314431

I asked for FTDNA to throw a bone to Big Y testers from the pre-holiday timeframe because of the pains they have gone through waiting for the Hg38 conversion. There were probably many people complaining so I doubt if they listened to me in particular but at least they threw us a bone.

If you have Big Y results or orders placed before this holiday sale going all the way back to 2013 then you are eligible. Below are the instructions that were received.

"Y-111 Upgrade Pricing

Kits with Y-37 & Big Y - upgrade to Y-111 for only $59!
    Kits with Y-67 & Big Y - upgrade to Y-111 for only $39!

Instructions & Kit Requirements

- Save this email and or save the included link in your bookmarks to access, as it will not be accessible from your dashboard.
    - Coupons are assigned to kit numbers and therefore may not be shared or used with other kits.
    - Copy the corresponding coupon code and if you are not already signed in, log in to the kit associated with this coupon.
    - Go to either the shopping cart or you upgrades page and add Y-111.
    - Paste the coupon code into the shopping cart and order your DNA upgrade.
    - Repeat these steps for each kit you wish to upgrade."

The savings really are good. The discount are about 70% off of list. This is only for people at Y37 and Y67.

My Big Y kits are already at Y111 so this doesn't help me directly but there more people at Y111, the better. Y111 upgrades have been pouring in the last week. The emails with the special coupons only go out to people who are eligible. Y111 is the gold standard now and much more common. I tracked its penetration in the R-L21 project and Y111 has accelerated in 2016 over 2015 then again now in 2017. This will be banner yet for Y111 and the future is now set with Y111 packaged in with Big Y from here on out.

If you are Big Y (pre-holiday) and Y37 or Y67 and don't have the email then call FTDNA as soon as you can to get it. There are people who have made the phone calls and received the coupons successfully.

1-713-868-1438 (M-T 9am-4:30pm, F 9-12,1-4:30 US CST)

Edit: This is from the FTDNA groups liason, Janine Cloud. She posted this yesterday, 12/15/2017.
    "The upgrade coupons are for kits with Y37 or 67 AND Big Y. They are kit-specific and were sent to the primary email address on the kit.
    Both the Groups Team and Customer Service has a list of these coupon codes, so the kit manager can either email or call to get the code.
    It is possible a second mailing could be done but the marketing director is on her honeymoon, I think, so it might be a few days.

I understand how frustrating it is for admins not to get information up front and will try to do better with that in the future but have been overwhelmed with customer contact since the conference. (My team has been having to take regular line calls, too, because of call volume! I've even had to jump on the phones!)"
    Last edited by Mikewww; 12-17-2017 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Edit -fixed number

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikewww For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-17-2017), lgmayka (12-16-2017), rms2 (12-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex

So nothing for Y12 and Y25 testers. Not that I'm in a rush to buy another Y product from FtDnA, after the big Y shambles.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36982
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I wish they would do something like that for people who have not had the Big Y. I have not done any bean counting - and I won't - but my impression is that a lot, if not most, of the Big Y testers already have 111 markers, because anyone willing to spend the big bucks on the Big Y is likely to be an enthusiast and to have already maxed out on STR's.

It would be nice to get STR upgrades on the lesser lights, those folks with 37 and 67 markers who just can't or don't want to spend the money on the Big Y or on upgrading to 111.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36982 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-17-2017), JohnHowellsTyrfro (12-16-2017), MikeWhalen (12-17-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Almagest View Post
    So nothing for Y12 and Y25 testers.
    I may be wrong but I thought their regular policy for Big Y was there was a prereq to be at Y37. I believe they allowed exceptions though so may be you are one of those. I'm sure Lawrence will let us know.

I have read on other forums where you can order an upgrade to Y37 and then request and get the Y111 upgrade. I would call FTDNA if I was following that path but I think it will work.

A proponent posted a day or two ago thats FTDNA told him they've had over 1,700 Big Y orders just for this holiday sale. I know they have rush during their August sale and we already knew that Big Y results for 2017 were already up to 2016's full year. A lot of people really like it. I know they push the cost/price envelope down and that costs some bumps in the road but I think we need the lower pricing, period.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikewww For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-17-2017), rms2 (12-16-2017), Robert1 (12-16-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    H

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I wish they would do something like that for people who have not had the Big Y.
    I'm not following you completely, but they've packaged in Y111 for free with new holiday Big Y orders and Big Y is already at a reduced price of $475. There are coupons on top of that so there are people getting Big Y right now for $425. The Y111 upgrade rides along.

I have not done any bean counting - and I won't - but my impression is that a lot, if not most, of the Big Y testers already have 111 markers, because anyone willing to spend the big bucks on the Big Y is likely to be an enthusiast and to have already maxed out on STR's.
    I wish that were so but it is not. As of this fall, prior to these latest upgrades, about 1 in 3 Big Y L21 people were also Y111. I think is slightly ahead of the overall penetration.

There has been a lot of people talking down STRs the last couple of years. There is "SNPs only crowd" out there. I like SNPs better than STRs but I think we want both. I argue this strongly but don't win any popularity contests. I'm not a good fence sitter on many things.

Then you have the large group of project admins who think 37 STRs is all ever one needs any way.

A subset of that group were under some illusion that you'd get your 1-111 free some day by Big Y extraction but this was never going to be work well in the STR panel based high reliability matching database. Those who understood Big Y STR extractions knew that.

Anyway, this is all changing now. It's clear that FTDNA has heard from those who see value in Y111, has decided to leverage it and and leverage Big Y to get more Y111's. Over half of Big Y people probably will have Y111 soon. My question, has been, is 111 enough? I think we want more but somehow his has to work for the non-Big Y people too.

It would be nice to get STR upgrades on the lesser lights, those folks with 37 and 67 markers who just can't or don't want to spend the money on the Big Y or on upgrading to 111.
    Absolutely agreed. There are those that will spend $50-100 maybe every X number of months. That's it. They need an easier path to Y111 even if it takes a couple of years. Once they there, we hope they will bump into the Big Y + Y111 gold haplotype people. That's why I call Y111 the "bridge" to the Big Y discovered SNPs. There are ton and a ton more to come.

The Y67 to Y111 for non-Big Y people is on sale for $99 right now. That's a $30 savings. Y37 to Y67 is $79 right now which is $20 off. I'm not sure if you can use coupons on top of that but Lawrence can probably tell us.

I can't even put my mind around having 500 STRs. I believe the potential in "Micro" STR signatures is great but somehow it has to be cost effectively applied to the incremental spenders.

The "SNP only crowd" just may not be happy about all these STRs.
    Last edited by Mikewww; 12-17-2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Edited holiday price to correct: $475 and 67 upgrade

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mikewww For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-17-2017), MikeWhalen (12-17-2017), rms2 (12-16-2017), Robert1 (12-16-2017)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36982
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    . . .

I wish that were so but it is not. As of this fall, prior to these latest upgrades, about 1 in 3 Big Y L21 people were also Y111. I think is slightly ahead of the overall penetration.
    That surprises me. In my little project all the Big Y testers already had 111 str markers before taking the Big Y plunge, up until this latest holiday sale, when one of our boys with 37 markers went for it, in part because it includes an upgrade to 111.

There has been a lot of people talking down STRs the last couple of years. There is "SNPs only crowd" out there. I like SNPs better than STRs but I think we want both. I argue this strongly but don't win any popularity contests. I'm not a good fence sitter on many things . . .
    I'm with you. I think we need both. I certainly can't see how "SNPs only" works until the price of NGS testing comes down enough to make Big Y testing nearly universal.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36982 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-17-2017), MikeWhalen (12-17-2017), Robert1 (12-16-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

I have not done any bean counting - and I won't - but my impression is that a lot, if not most, of the Big Y testers already have 111 markers, because anyone willing to spend the big bucks on the Big Y is likely to be an enthusiast and to have already maxed out on STR's.
    That depends on the haplogroup and ethnicity/geography. In my geographic project, many men (perhaps the majority) have no 67-marker matches closer than GD 5. Hence, they see little reason to upgrade to 111 markers. The Big Y, on the other hand, makes a lot of sense for everyone, because it has to yield some scientifically defensible TMRCA estimate, even if a very ancient one.

As a result, my project has hundreds of men who have Big Y results but less than 111 markers.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-17-2017), rms2 (12-17-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

I may be wrong but I thought their regular policy for Big Y was there was a prereq to be at Y37. I believe they allowed exceptions though so may be you are one of those. I'm sure Lawrence will let us know.
    Au contraire. FTDNA's web site permits anyone who has Y12 (at least batched/pending) to order the Big Y. According to FTDNA's email promise, he should then also get the free upgrade to Y111.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-17-2017), rms2 (12-17-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

I'm not following you completely, but they've packaged in Y111 for free with new holiday Big Y orders and Big Y is already at a reduced price of $425. There are coupons on top of that so there are people getting Big Y right now for $375 and $400. The Y111 upgrade rides along.
    The discount price of the Big Y is $475, so its effective cost is $425 after applying a $50-off coupon.
    The Y67 to Y111 for non-Big Y people is on sale for $99 right now. That's a $30 savings. Y37 to Y67 is $79 right now which is $20 off. I'm not sure if you can use coupons on top of that but Lawrence can probably tell us.
    For the first week or two, you could use the $20-off coupon for Y-DNA marker upgrades, but you can't anymore.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    H

Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
    Au contraire. FTDNA's web site permits anyone who has Y12 (at least batched/pending) to order the Big Y. According to FTDNA's email promise, he should then also get the free upgrade to Y111.
    Thanks, Lawrence. I knew you'd be ready.

I thought I one time you had to have Y37 before ordering Big Y (barring special approval). I know that initially there were complaints about the prereq. Maybe it was just that FTDNA was not selling Y12 at the time. Y12 is obsolete in my opinion and they should also have removed Y25 long ago.

Nevertheless, I would like to have seen Y12 and Y25 upgrades to Y111 included too. Of course, why not? My guess is this indicates some of the STRs in the first 37 are the ones most troublesome. Either that or there are just very few Big Y Y12 or Y25 people so it wasn't efficient for them to design the upgrade panel needed.

In any case, Big Y people at Y12 and Y25 can probably do the upgrade to Y37 and then the Y37 to Y111 simultaneously. This is a call FTDNA type situation.

What email promise do you think has been broken? I am not seeing this.
    Last edited by Mikewww; 12-17-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast