Thread: how to determine lineage

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

how to determine lineage

How to figure out this problem: mother/daughter tested, both have of course X chromosome (haplo is D4). On Gedmatch largest X match was of different haplo T1. Having X matches but have completely different haplgroup? Can someone help me to understand it ?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Significant X match for a woman need not have the same haplo, because X match and mtDNA are different.

For example, mother and daughter share mtDNA AND are an X match.

Daughter and father do not share mtDNA but are an X match (daughter gets X from both parents).

Here, the daughter and mother both match another person, but the other person need have gotten his or her matching X segment from someone sharing a matrilineal line with them. For example, the mother and daughter have a matching X segment from the mother's father, someone with whom they would not have an mtDNA match. If the other person matched is a woman, that person's matching X segment could be from her father, so again would not go with matching mtDNA.

You can simply rule out that this person is a matrilineal match.

Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 01-05-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German-British-Catalan
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-L1029
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    The same thing is true for males. Although my eldest brother inherited both his mtDNA haplogroup and his single X chromosome from our mother, she didn't get both from the same source.

Like everyone else, of course, she inherited her mtDNA haplogroup from her mother. But the X chromosome she passed on to my brother contained DNA only from her father. In other words, she passed on an unrecombined copy of the same X chromosome she inherited from her father -- which he, in turn, inherited from his mother.

This is not the only time she passed on an unrecombined X, either. One of my sisters also inherited a maternal X chromosome with no contribution from our grandmother. As a result, her X chromosome has half identical matching with our brother across the entire chromosome.

My own X does contain some DNA from our grandmother, though not much: only about 20 cM surrounding the centromere. The rest is from my maternal grandfather.

One way the X chromosome can be very useful in genealogy is that it has vastly fewer possible contributors as compared with other chromosomes. It can be helpful to fill out a chart like the one found here. Just remember, not everyone who is a potential contributor to the X chromosome will necessarily be an actual contributor.
    Last edited by geebee; 01-05-2018 at 08:31 PM.
    The short explanation of my ancestry is British-German-Catalan, but it actually includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw and probably Cherokee. My avatar picture is of my father, his father, and his father's father. The baby in the picture is my eldest brother.

GB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

spruithean (01-07-2018)