Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What about a sauna, good for you or something you would never experience?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA
    I1d3a
    mtDNA
    H1n4

Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    I love the idea of saunas, but I'm a wimp in humidity.

The closest thing to an alternative I've discovered is getting a good deep tissue massage and then alternating between hot and cold water every 15-20s in the shower (that supposedly increases circulation but I'm not sure about that; the heat part, sure, but the cold?). Like Monkey's perspective on saunas, it puts me out like a baby every time I manage to relive that procedure.
    There are also steamsaunas I have been to but I do not like them too damp. In normal sauna the circulation of the air makes it that the heat does not feel damp. But it does if sauna is not enough hot it is steamy and not so nice dry one is better. It should be about +70 - 80 and then you can sweat well and it's healthy. You should not stay too long maybe ut to 15 min and right away shower to get rid of sweat and all kind of bad stuff from your skin. Body needs cooling and then again to sauna.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA
    I1d3a
    mtDNA
    H1n4

Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by homunculus View Post
    As a Finn, sauna is a very common part of our everyday life. Tbh honest though, for a Finn I'm a total wimp really. Around 70 Celsius is quite enough for me, I like my sauna comfortably hot but not like BBQ like most of Finns (especially males) prefer it. But in the cold winter it's a really welcome change to the constant freezing. Of course the best combination is to have your sauna in a cottage near a lakeshore during the winter. And then there's the peculiar thing a few years ago when a not-so-mentally-gidted Finn outsauna'd a Russian guy to death:
    Attachment 20618
    Yes I remember that occasion. Sauna is not for that you grill yourself there and also not for competition because the limit what the body stands.

I remember one certain time I was about 16 or something like that. We went to the sauna for both men and women together (swimmingsuits on of course) and men started to throw water so many times that temperature was over +100. We tried to stay as long as possible but we had to give up and run to the lake to cool down. Too hot is too hot.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA
    I1d3a
    mtDNA
    H1n4

Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHowellsTyrfro View Post
    I'm in the UK and recently we had some snow which doesn't happen that often.
    I got out of the sauna and thought about rolling around naked in it but I don't know how the neighbours would have taken it.
    I do actually cool off outside but with a bathrobe on.
    I have been once in very mild sauna in Great Britain I just got frustrated because temperature was about 40 - 50. You should try to go to snow it cools quickly the body. I think I might have done it once when I was a child and we lived so far from the next house.

Registered Users
    Sex

For those who likes saunas. If you have one at home , when you splash water over heated rocks mix water with beer and you will get a nice smell of bread. Don't splash pure beer though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Volat For This Useful Post:

Kopfjäger (01-15-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

We also have bunches of birch or oak brunches. Usually birch which we use to hit each in saunas during high temperatures. LOL.
    Last edited by Volat; 01-09-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Finn View Post
    Sure, brooms are typically made of birch here, but I've noticed that both Balts and Russians like other type of brooms as well, such as those made of oak. I bought some of those a couple of weeks ago in Vyborg, I have BTW introduced also Russian sauna caps i.e shapka's to my family, with some success.

A good sauna is not too hot, something like 66 celsius is optimal and the air has to be very humid. A sea, lake or river view is desirable. A hot, dry sauna at some hotel is a creature of the evil.
    Oak is also used. But birch is more abundant.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volat For This Useful Post:

basque (01-09-2018),  utR! (01-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by basque View Post
    I love a sauna after a big workout but not too hot and i skip the cold showers, if no one else is in there i do some stretching, feel relaxed and refreshed after a warm shower.

Basque
    Winter is my favourite time of the year visiting sauna, when the temperature outside is well below 0C.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Volat For This Useful Post:

basque (01-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA
    I1d3a
    mtDNA
    H1n4

Finland
    Brunches we call them "vihta" or "vasta" it depends on where you are living (dialect). I used it when I was younger but not any more. I do not like seprarate leaves all around sauna. Nice smell of birch; you can also put some drops oil which scents birch into water.

Some say you'll get better sauna steam if heated by wood rather than elcectric heated what you think does it make difference? Main thing you sweat and feel better or healthy reason (as astma, flu and so on).

Registered Users
    Sex

In our traditional sauna 'laznia' we call them , 'banya' in Russian wood is the only choice of fuel. Or coal. Electric heating is available in saunas of large cities combined with swimming pools. We look down upon such saunas. The best are traditional saunas outside of cities heated by wood.

Birch branches (dziarkach or venik in Russian) are usually made of birch branches, because birch is a common tree in forests. One can buy birch sap collected in spring in shops, but that's another story :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_sap

Oak branches are also used but not as often as Birch.

Modern Russian 'banya' (sauna)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Volat For This Useful Post:

Nibelung (01-12-2018),  rms2 (01-13-2018),  utR! (01-19-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by utR! View Post
    Ok. How hot are the tubes, tell me more what kind of they are?
    Hot tubs are set at about 104 F (40 C). They are like big Jacuzzi baths, with air jets providing massaging bubbles. It's hard to beat a couple of drinks and time spent in a hot tub.
    Last edited by rms2; 01-13-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Error

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

utR! (01-15-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast