R-L2>BY4242-Germany
    mtDNA (M)
    H3h-Germany
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-BY4610-Azores, Pt
    mtDNA (P)
    W6a-Slovakia

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    I totally agree that the resolution offered by the Y chromosome and it's very specific inheritance allows us to make certain discoveries not available with other DNA types. Of the 3 male lines I've worked on 2 have pushed the surname far past the earliest known ancestors. Unfortunately I have some sort of issue in my line back in Tennessee in the 1850s. What's amazing is that with a couple Big Ys I know the name of my 2nd great grandfather's grandfather or great grandfather. Someday I hope to link the two lines definitively. I'm dying to know what really happened.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

JMcB (05-28-2018),  MikeWhalen (05-28-2018),  rms2 (05-28-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z326>A5869
    mtDNA (M)
    HV

It's cool to see that you second cousin etc also tested it's Y-haplogroup rms2! Personally, I don't have much luck yet because my surname is quite rare and my family members are not that interested in DNA tests. I have found only one person with the same surname as me on 23andme. We have the same but quite distant ancestors.(7th grandparents) He also belongs to the haplogroup U106, but 23andme did not test him beyond this subclade. He mentioned it was ''not determined'' if he is positive for L48.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Radboud For This Useful Post:

rms2 (05-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-A1487
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Austria Hungary Ireland United States of America
    The grand benefit of yDNA for me was to discover five subclades below our terminal SNP. I had always known we arrived in Ireland at or before the Invasion, but how to prove it? Families from ancient Ossory, who claimed to know my genealogy better than I, would prove enormously helpful! It only took fifteen years. My family motto is "Patience is Victorious". Truer words were never spoken...

Sorry for your troubles, Rich. May your Father Rest in Peace.
    390=21
    459a/b=9/9
    YCA II a/b=22/23
    557=15
    572=10
    DF23-, L1066-, L21+, M153-, M222-, M269+, M37-, M65-, P312+, P66-, SRY2627-, U106-, U152-, Z253-

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slievenamon For This Useful Post:

rms2 (05-30-2018),  Saetro (05-28-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Actually, you never quite know what test will yield good finds, or when.

Back when Ancestry offered Y-DNA and mtDNA testing, they were the first company I tried. A number of years passed and in that time I tested several different companies -- FTDNA, 23andMe, and Ancestry again for autosomal testing. But after I'd almost forgotten about my Y-DNA testing at Ancestry, someone contacted me to say that her uncle and I were near-perfect matches on 46 markers.

So I took a look, and we were only off by one. But when I took a closer look, we actually weren't off at all. Ancestry had made an error in how they reported one of our STRs. It was a normally two-copy marker that in our case had three copies: 9, 10, 10 for both of us. Only, contrary to convention Ancestry was showing it on the match page as 9, 10 for me and 10, 10 for my match. So while it looked like there was a genetic distance of 1, there really wasn't. (The convention is that you always list repeats in ascending numerical order.)

I recognized her uncle, by the way. He was a former lieutenant governor of Delaware, with the same unusual surname I have. I'd always figured we were probably related, but I'd never been able to prove it. In fact, with some additional research I was able to determine that we were 4th cousins, twice removed; with the surname immigrant as our most recent common ancestor.

One funny thing, though. When Ancestry thought there was a GD of 1, they predicted we were related in about 6 generations. Once I contacted them and pointed out their error and they fixed it, they changed the prediction to just one. That would have come as a real surprise to my dad, since basically this match was from his father's generation. (And even my grandfather and my match were 4th cousins.)

So even this old 46-marker test from Ancestry eventually proved to be of great value to me.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

rms2 (05-30-2018),  Saetro (05-28-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-A14097
    mtDNA (M)
    (t.b.d.)
    Y-DNA (M)
    (t.b.d.)
    mtDNA (P)
    J1c3

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland Cornwall France
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I'm not sure that is un-great: unpleasant at first, sure, but the truth beats falsehood every time.

I'm glad I didn't have to go through that though.
    I agree, I would much rather know the truth about a secret in my family tree.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

rms2 (05-30-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12