Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP1337
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Italy United Kingdom Germany Poland Russian Federation Ukraine

Has anyone tried GPS origins?

I have done a search and have not found anything.

https://homedna.com/product/gps-origins-algorithm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

karwiso (01-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ingrian + Russian
    Nationality
    Swedish, Russian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1-Z92
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3k

Finland Russian Federation Sweden
    Save your money for something else - test another (potential) relative!
    I have read their product description and they write that they use 100 SNP and 13 CODIS Y-markers... Aren't you happy with your FTDNA, Ancestry or 23andme test? Go to gedmatch.com, geni.com or transfer your results to MyHeritage free of charge. Probably test with LivingDNA if you want another "fishing" pool... Or why not to save money for a WGS-test, BigY or YElite? Just forget GPS Origins, I would NOT transfer my (much more complete) data to them!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karwiso For This Useful Post:

Lion Heart (01-26-2018),  lukaszM (01-09-2018),  SaltyShanker (02-05-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP1337
    mtDNA (M)
    H1

Italy United Kingdom Germany Poland Russian Federation Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by karwiso View Post
    I have read their product description and they write that they use 100 SNP and 13 CODIS Y-markers... Aren't you happy with your FTDNA, Ancestry or 23andme test? Go to gedmatch.com, geni.com or transfer your results to MyHeritage free of charge. Probably test with LivingDNA if you want another "fishing" pool... Or why not to save money for a WGS-test, BigY or YElite? Just forget GPS Origins, I would NOT transfer my (much more complete) data to them!
    I've done most of those except..........WGS-test, BigY or YElite.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

karwiso (01-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ingrian + Russian
    Nationality
    Swedish, Russian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1-Z92
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3k

Finland Russian Federation Sweden
    Well, I have not seen anyone recommending GPS Origins. You have got your migration maps here and there, you would not get more at GPS origins and I don't think their user base is much bigger than Ancestry's, FTDNA's or 23andme's.

WGS, Big or YElite are more expensive and are more for Y-tree with SNPs, but I would go that way (plus yfull.com). Probably we can use WGS at gedmatch.com later, but it is hard to say now if and how. You can submit your WGS results to yfull.com as well plus you will get possible future autosomal SNP's in the results.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I BY34648.
    mtDNA (M)
    T2c1-t146!

England United Kingdom
    I looked at this some years ago, but I could not submit my old Britain's DNA results to them back.

Anyway, this thread last night reminded me about them and I took another look. So for just for the sake of it (as I had a few dollars in my PayPal account which is not real money ) I thought I would blow $39 on it. I submitted my FTDNA family finder results and the results came back in a few hours.

I got back these results:

GENE POOL % s
    Complete Results

#1 Fennoscandia 20.2%
    Origin: Peaks in the Iceland and Norway and declines in Finland, England, and France

#2 Southern France 19.6%
    Origin: Peaks in south France and declines in north France, England, Orkney islands, and Scandinavia

#3 Orkney Islands 12.9%
    Origin: Peaks in the Orkney islands and declines in England, France, Germany, Belarus, and Poland

#4 Western Siberia 11.6%
    Origin: Peaks in Krasnoyarsk Krai and declines towards east Russia

#5 Sardinia 8.9%
    Origin: Peaks in Sardinia and declines in weaker in Italy, Greece, Albania, and The Balkans

#6 Southeastern India 8.7%
    Origin: Endemic to south eastern india with residues in Pakistan

#7 Basque Country 7.4%
    Origin: Peaks in France and Spain Basque regions and declines in Spain, France, and Germany

#8 Tuva 5.1%
    Origin: Peaks in south Siberia (Russians: Tuvinian) and declines in North Mongolia

#9 Northern India 3%
    Origin: Peaks in North India (Dharkars, Kanjars) and declines in Pakistan

#10 The Southern Levant 1%
    Origin: This gene pool is localized to Israel with residues in Syria

#11 Pima County: The Sonora 0.9%
    Origin: Peaks in Central-North America and declines towards Greenland and Eskimos

#12 Western South America 0.5%
    Origin: Peaks in Peru, Mexico, and North America and declines in Eastern Russia

#13 Bougainville 0.1%
    Origin: Peaks in Bougainville and declines in Australia

The map shows this "route".

Map.jpg

I look upon it all as a bit of fun, nothing else. Their group definitions are a bit bizarre I think.

Cheers, Ade.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adrian Stevenson For This Useful Post:

jortita (01-11-2018),  karwiso (01-10-2018),  Mixed (01-12-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central 75% + 25% Mazovia
    Nationality
    Pole
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a > M198 > YP 1337

Poland
    Very bizzare. You have really about 10% Indian ancestry and 5% Tuvan?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    O1b1a1

United States of America India England
    I've tried GPS Origins and here are my results: (I think Western Siberia might be more inclined towards the Indo-European expansions)

#1 Southeastern India 44.6%
    Origin: Endemic to south eastern india with residues in Pakistan

#2 Southwestern India 12%
    Origin: Endemic to Indian (Pulayar) with residues in India (Paniya, Savara, Bengali, Juang, Savara, Ho, Bonda)

#3 Northern India 9.8%
    Origin: Peaks in North India (Dharkars, Kanjars) and declines in Pakistan

#4 Tuva 6.8%
    Origin: Peaks in south Siberia (Russians: Tuvinian) and declines in North Mongolia

#5 Western Siberia 6.3%
    Origin: Peaks in Krasnoyarsk Krai and declines towards east Russia

#6 Central America 3.5%
    Origin: Peaks in Mexico and Central America with residues in Peru

#7 Austronesian Southeast Asia 2.7%
    Origin: Peaks in Taiwan and Malay and declines in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and South China

#8 Orkney Islands 2.6%
    Origin: Peaks in the Orkney islands and declines in England, France, Germany, Belarus, and Poland

#9 Austronesian Oceania 2.5%
    Origin: Peaks in Korea, Chinese (Han), Mynamar, Japan, and Vietnam and declines towards West China and India

#10 Papuan New Guinea 2.2%
    Origin: Peaks in Papua New Guinea and declines in Australia

#11 Southern France 2.1%
    Origin: Peaks in south France and declines in north France, England, Orkney islands, and Scandinavia

#12 Pima County: The Sonora 1.8%
    Origin: Peaks in Central-North America and declines towards Greenland and Eskimos

#13 Arabia 1.6%
    Origin: Peaks in Saudi Arabia and Yemen and declines in Israel, Jordan, Iraq, and Egypt

#14 Bougainville 1.2%
    Origin: Peaks in Bougainville and declines in Australia

#15 Western South America 0.4%
    Origin: Peaks in Peru, Mexico, and North America and declines in Eastern Russia

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

Adrian Stevenson (01-18-2018),  jortita (01-18-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I came out with a lot of these same populations. It's kind of an odd one. It did echo my ancestry at top (though low) and then seemed to exaggerate findings from other assessments (like 14% Siberian... that's kind of excessive, but I really interpret Siberian as Yakut, Evenki, Nganasan, or coming from northern Komi or Karelia areas...not central Asia). ?? I do get Russian mixed in with my expected Scandinavian on other assessments, so I don't know if they are lacking a central Russia reference or what here. Among other stuff. Are they just comparing you like the dot system...how close you are to these populations? Because the bottom ones get far fetched. I might even have some pan-American DNA (Siberian Chukchi) at small amounts, but it would still be a stretch to figure out how it gets assigned to Peru.

The migration stories were interesting. I didn't take them literally, but the world history added in was interesting. Just a couple paragraphs. It did inspire a little research. But I'm not sold on the idea that I had ancestors in Estonia around 500 AD because I am not so sure they had a Swedish population in order to figure out if I was Swede/Russian or Estonian. So it just reads like an interesting story. This was all basically interesting and yet probably the least helpful. I did start researching the Khazars, but there's a good chance they have nothing to do with my story. Just interesting.

I can't seem to copy-paste it so will just add like this...
    Fennoscandia: 24.5%
    Southern France: 15.7%
    Western Siberia: 14.5% (I think of Western Siberia as maybe Komi but it says it peaks in Krasnoykrai, which is central, and declines towards the east... confusing a bit)
    Orkney Islands: 13.5%
    Southern India: 7.9% (doubt that one)
    Then.., Basque, Sardinia, Tuva, Northern India, Central America, Bougainville, Pima County

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurki For This Useful Post:

Adrian Stevenson (01-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multi Ethnic
    Nationality
    Global Girl

Scotland Wales India Sami Basque Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by karwiso View Post
    The GPS Origins analyzes over 800,000 markers, 36 gene pools and 862 reference populations.
    I found it to accurately dovetail with other results from 5 other companies and my favored Gedmatch Oracles.
    Even the origin maps jibed with my very distant ancestry paper trail which I found hilarious. What are the odds?
    Also, it teased out a tiny % that I have now confirmed as real.
    "Northwestern Africa 0.6%
    Origin: Peaks in Algeria and declines in Morocco and Tunisia." Pretty splendid.
    For 39 bucks, it was worthwhile. Actually, I found a coupon so I got it for 24 bucks.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    karius the black hair
    Nationality
    east med

all i remember that
    a person from a syrian background
    uploaded his raw data to GPS
    and they gave him something very northern european {viking}
    that was wierd .......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast