Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried GPS origins?

Registered Users

$39 is a bit pricey for a transfer. I think FTDNA is smart by charging only $19. Anything above $20 is hard to rationalize with free transfers from Myheritage, Gencove, and DNA Land available. $5 for Geneplazaís K29 was also a no brainer in my opinion.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    $39 is a bit pricey for a transfer. I think FTDNA is smart by charging only $19. Anything above $20 is hard to rationalize with free transfers from Myheritage, Gencove, and DNA Land available. $5 for Geneplaza’s K29 was also a no brainer in my opinion.
    That's true. They add in more by telling you this migration history, which other companies don't do. And that's very compelling. But I got it and it was really meh, and I realized there was no way to know this anyway. They probably left out Sweden. And there was only a little story about England to Scotland and Estonia to Russia, 1500 years ago or so. Its not like some narrative on how my family ended up in Scandinavia and what their points of location might have been along the way. And I probably got suckered into thinking that was possible to figure out. For $40 that would seem worth it. But it is just another DNA transfer with a little extra history. I'd put more than $5 on it. But the ancestry ratios are so weird... If they were more accurate, maybe it's a $15 (20 max?), if they could get ancestry closer. Then migration stories would be more interesting, even if still taken with a grain of salt.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Kurki View Post
    That's true. They add in more by telling you this migration history, which other companies don't do. And that's very compelling. But I got it and it was really meh, and I realized there was no way to know this anyway. They probably left out Sweden. And there was only a little story about England to Scotland and Estonia to Russia, 1500 years ago or so. Its not like some narrative on how my family ended up in Scandinavia and what their points of location might have been along the way. And I probably got suckered into thinking that was possible to figure out. For $40 that would seem worth it. But it is just another DNA transfer with a little extra history. I'd put more than $5 on it. But the ancestry ratios are so weird... If they were more accurate, maybe it's a $15 (20 max?), if they could get ancestry closer. Then migration stories would be more interesting, even if still taken with a grain of salt.
    I decided to do it regardless. My friend did as well. It seems most Western/Northwestern Europeans seem to get the same regions including Siberia and India. The percentages might vary by a few percentage points.

The migration paths are interesting. Iím French Canadian and Belgian and I usually register about 25-31% Southwestern Europe on ethnicity tests. One of my migration paths was in Spain and is dated from 2189 BC - 125 BC. Considering the similarities between Southern France and Spain this migration path made sense.

The other migration path was more confusing. It goes from Lithuania to the Ukraine and is dated 90 AD - 1177 AD. I score very little Eastern European on most ethnicity tests so Iím more puzzled by this one.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    $39 is a bit pricey for a transfer. I think FTDNA is smart by charging only $19. Anything above $20 is hard to rationalize with free transfers from Myheritage, Gencove, and DNA Land available. $5 for Geneplaza’s K29 was also a no brainer in my opinion.
    I did it - it is a bit much for a transfer, but I wanted to check it out to review it for my blog. I was not impressed - ethnicity report wasn't very accurate and "migration routes" were confusing and seemed to be deliberately misleading.

Registered Users
    Sex

GPS Origins supposedly tests over 800,000 SNPs, which is the largest coverage of any ancestry test. I’m kinda tempted to give this one a try

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi Jew
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y2750
    mtDNA (M)
    H47
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-L791
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1b1a

United States of America Israel
    I did it for my mom. It was developed by Eran Elhaik to "prove" the Khazar myth. As expected, it's terrible but my mom's results did inadvertently disprove his theory by saying she's half Iberian, half Palestinian. It assumes that everyone is the product of a recent 2-way mixture, so it's basically just a glorified 2-way GEDmath Oracle. And the ancient breakdown makes no sense. I'll post images of her results later tonight.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonahst For This Useful Post:

mildlycurly (01-15-2020),  passenger (01-15-2020),  SUPREEEEEME (01-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA (P)
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Germany Romani Star of David
    Quote Originally Posted by jonahst View Post
    I did it for my mom. It was developed by Eran Elhaik to "prove" the Khazar myth. As expected, it's terrible but my mom's results did inadvertently disprove his theory by saying she's half Iberian, half Palestinian. It assumes that everyone is the product of a recent 2-way mixture, so it's basically just a glorified 2-way GEDmath Oracle. And the ancient breakdown makes no sense. I'll post images of her results later tonight.
    You'd think Elhaik, as a Jewish geneticist, would think better than to:

1. Keep trying to push a long-discredited theory. Yes, some Khazarians converted to Judaism and yes, some Ashkenazim have Khazarian ancestry. It does not mean that Khazarians are the primary founding population of Ashkenazi Jews. At this point it's like watching those fundamentalist Christian "scientists" trying to "prove" Young Earth Creationism.

2. Embrace an ideology for which the supporters are overwhelmingly neo-Nazis.
    "sample": "Custom:mildlycurly_scaled",
    "fit": 1.4136,
    "Irish": 58.33,
    "English": 39.17,
    "Ashkenazi_Jew": 1.67,
    "Roma": 0.83,

I make music. Listen to it here: Hidden Content or here: Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlycurly For This Useful Post:

jonahst (01-15-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi Jew
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y2750
    mtDNA (M)
    H47
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-L791
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1b1a

United States of America Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by mildlycurly View Post
    You'd think Elhaik, as a Jewish geneticist, would think better than to:

1. Keep trying to push a long-discredited theory. Yes, some Khazarians converted to Judaism and yes, some Ashkenazim have Khazarian ancestry. It does not mean that Khazarians are the primary founding population of Ashkenazi Jews. At this point it's like watching those fundamentalist Christian "scientists" trying to "prove" Young Earth Creationism.

2. Embrace an ideology for which the supporters are overwhelmingly neo-Nazis.
    His work is transparently political and he has a very strange obsession with discrediting any connection Ashkenazim (and, to be fair, most other Jews) have to ancient Israelites.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ashkenazi Jew
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y2750
    mtDNA (M)
    H47
    Y-DNA (M)
    E-L791