Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain my results? Nearly 100% Greek, but I'm not Greek?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian/Macedonian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    T2

United States of America Macedonia Italy Italy Sicily
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post
    Click the other option (not the one with the 4-pops).
    87.7% Greek_Thessaly + 12.3% Cyprian 2.4

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian_cossack 47%
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2
    mtDNA
    U2

Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole2496 View Post
    No, I am talking about the Slavic region, that's why I'm very confused. Everything points to me being Greek, but clearly I'm not Greek (at least as far as I know).
    You are Greek, by accident lol

Registered Users
    Sex

Spain
    seems like the combination of Italian (South ?) and Macedonian is tricking the program into a pseudo-Greek profile, it can happen. Some greeks can be modeled as a mix of south italian and south-balkan (bulgarian, macedonian)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian/Macedonian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by sweuro View Post
    seems like the combination of Italian (South ?) and Macedonian is tricking the program into a pseudo-Greek profile, it can happen. Some greeks can be modeled as a mix of south italian and south-balkan (bulgarian, macedonian)
    MyHeritage shows 92.7% Greek. Even Eurogenes K13 shows that my closest populations are Greece. I'd understand if maybe one site was off, but based on what I've seen, Eurogenes is pretty reliable. What I was thinking is maybe my paternal relatives were Greek (because I only know 4 relatives, so it would be a possibility that maybe my great-grandparents were Greek and maybe only very recently they moved over to Slavic Macedonia?) That was my best guess. I know Southern Italian DNA is pretty similar to that of a Greek, so that would make sense, but I don't know how it could say I'm 92.7% Greek, I feel like that's just way too much for a person who has no known Greek relatives.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian/Macedonian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by Modernancientdna View Post
    You are Greek, by accident lol
    Yeah, apparently! I'd love to use that as a way to introduce myself. I'll go up to someone and say "Hey, my name is Nicole, I'm accidentally 92.7% Greek, nice to meet you." Haha.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Russian_cossack 47%
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b2
    mtDNA
    U2

Poland
    Yeah, apparently! I'd love to use that as a way to introduce myself. I'll go up to someone and say "Hey, my name is Nicole, I'm accidentally 92.7% Greek, nice to meet you." Haha.
    If you have west Macedonia and south Italy roots you are getting this high Greek by default you are probably very similar with their Greek, Albanian references or maybe you have actual Greek ancestor or ancestors

Registered Users
    Sex

Spain
    MyHeritage shows 92.7% Greek. Even Eurogenes K13 shows that my closest populations are Greece. I'd understand if maybe one site was off, but based on what I've seen, Eurogenes is pretty reliable. What I was thinking is maybe my paternal relatives were Greek (because I only know 4 relatives, so it would be a possibility that maybe my great-grandparents were Greek and maybe only very recently they moved over to Slavic Macedonia?) That was my best guess. I know Southern Italian DNA is pretty similar to that of a Greek, so that would make sense, but I don't know how it could say I'm 92.7% Greek, I feel like that's just way too much for a person who has no known Greek relatives.
    I don't think you need any greek ancestry as an explanation, it's just that a mix of South Italian and Macedonian produces something very similar to what a Greek is...if you look at a PCA plot most greeks fall in the space between south-italians and bulgarians/macedonians :

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sweuro For This Useful Post:

Judith (01-20-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>DF19>DF88>S4268
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e

United States of America Lebanon Germany England Belgium Scotland
    87.7% Greek_Thessaly + 12.3% Cyprian 2.4
    Is there a reason you only posted one?
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112 (S17075-)

Y-cousin: 6DRIF-23 (DF19>>Z17112+, S17075+)

Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA
    T1a2b- Z19945
    mtDNA
    H95a- Ostrogoth

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Sweden Finns
    No, I'm referring to Slavic Macedonia. My paternal relatives were from Ohrid. That's why I'm confused...
    I have a work colleague from there and he is albanian

So, how do you get Greek, if you are slavic or are you Greek from slavic macedonia

European = 99.2%............Central Asian = 0.8% .............Yfull - 1460BC
    Father's Mtdna .......T2b17
    Grandfather mtdna .......T1a1e
    Sons Mtdna .....K1a4
    Grandfather-Maternal ......I1d-P109...CTS6009
    Wife's Ydna .....R1a-Z282

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS54+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, Y70078+ )

The main negatives = ( M193-, P322-, P327-, Pages11- , L25- , CTS1848- )

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Slavic + Thracian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian

Bulgaria European Union
    nicole, don't put too much trust in these values - most of the calculators have a real problem when they try to create 2 or 3 Southern or 2 or 3 Northern clusters. If a person is half Iberian/half Italian in some calcs it could go as 90% Iberian and vice-versa... and rarely it could be detected as 50/50. Most calculators are far from being perfect. So, your Greek results reflect simply "Southern European" percentages and not ethnical Greek results. One must bare in mind that the so-called Greek or Albanian in the DNA tests is simply old-Balkanic genetic material (pre-Slavic) and there were more old Balkanic folks in the past besides the surviving Greeks and Albanians. There is also problem with the northern clusters - there are always problems when some calcs are trying to make different clusters like Scandinavian, Western and British Isles and same goes for the souther clusters. I guess there is only 1 southern and 1 northern in the end...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast