Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: Can someone explain my results? Nearly 100% Greek, but I'm not Greek?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    30
    Sex
    Location
    New York
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

    United States of America Macedonia Italy Italy Sicily

    Can someone explain my results? Nearly 100% Greek, but I'm not Greek?

    I've been perplexed and I haven't seen anyone have this same "problem." I'm Italian (maternal) and Macedonian (paternal). Although, I was born in the U.S.

    My results were:
    Greek 92.7%
    Iberian 2.4%
    Italian 1.6%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 2.5%
    West Asian 0.8%

    My questions are:
    1. Why is my Italian percentage incredibly low?
    2. My paternal relatives are Macedonian, why am I 0% Balkan? (This is something that is confusing me even more because when I checked my DNA matches [Macedonian matches] they have around 30% Balkan. I have 0% Balkan. How could that be explained?)
    3. Why is my Greek percentage higher than what I've seen in Greek people born in Greece? (I had a DNA match of a person who is Greek and born in Greece and their Greek percentage was 75%)

    Even with Eurogenes K13, my closest population match is Thessaly (Greece) and that's followed by Central Greece.

    I'm genuinely confused and if someone has some kind of explanation for how or why my results are presented in this manner, then that would be great. I can't figure this out. I've been looking for an explanation all over the internet and I cannot find a single person who has encountered this.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicole2496 For This Useful Post:

     Aspar (06-28-2019),  JJBoogie (01-31-2018)

  3. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,441
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1e
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2a1 Z6065>Y7708>M47
    mtDNA (P)
    H1j

    United States of America Lebanon Germany United Kingdom Belgium Switzerland
    In K13, are you just looking at just your single pops or also the other mixed mode results? My dad is German/British/ Ashkenazi and my mom is Lebanese, and K13 thinks I'm Italian (and others think I'm Cycladic Greek) in single pops, but the mixed mode 2-pops are much closer to the truth:

    Population (source) Distance
    1 Italian_Abruzzo 6.87
    2 West_Sicilian 9.49
    3 Tuscan 10.47
    4 East_Sicilian 10.98
    5 Central_Greek 11.04
    6 Greek_Thessaly 11.95
    7 South_Italian 12.19
    8 Ashkenazi 12.6
    9 Sephardic_Jewish 14.6
    10 North_Italian 15.41
    11 Italian_Jewish 15.62
    12 Bulgarian 17.17
    13 Algerian_Jewish 17.41
    14 Romanian 17.77
    15 Tunisian_Jewish 18.68
    16 Libyan_Jewish 19.36
    17 Serbian 20.83
    18 Portuguese 21.63
    19 Spanish_Extremadura 21.69
    20 Spanish_Murcia 22.33

    Mixed Mode Population Sharing:

    # Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 53.4% French + 46.6% Lebanese_Druze @ 2.91
    2 55.7% Lebanese_Druze + 44.3% Southwest_English @ 3.04
    3 54.1% Lebanese_Christian + 45.9% Southwest_English @ 3.08
    4 55.1% Lebanese_Christian + 44.9% West_Scottish @ 3.21
    5 53% Lebanese_Christian + 47% Southeast_English @ 3.49
    6 55% Lebanese_Christian + 45% Irish @ 3.61
    7 54.6% Lebanese_Christian + 45.4% Orcadian @ 3.83
    8 56.8% Lebanese_Druze + 43.2% West_Scottish @ 3.99
    9 56% Samaritan + 44% West_Scottish @ 4.01
    10 54.7% Lebanese_Druze + 45.3% Southeast_English @ 4.02
    11 50.3% Lebanese_Druze + 49.7% South_Dutch @ 4.05
    12 70.1% Sephardic_Jewish + 29.9% North_German @ 4.07
    13 71.2% Sephardic_Jewish + 28.8% Danish @ 4.08
    14 54.9% Samaritan + 45.1% Southwest_English @ 4.15
    15 72.6% Sephardic_Jewish + 27.4% Norwegian @ 4.16
    16 71.3% Sephardic_Jewish + 28.7% North_Dutch @ 4.16
    17 56.6% Lebanese_Druze + 43.4% Irish @ 4.19
    18 71.8% Sephardic_Jewish + 28.2% Irish @ 4.25
    19 53.9% Samaritan + 46.1% Southeast_English @ 4.27
    20 55.8% Samaritan + 44.2% Irish @ 4.3
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112>BY44243

    Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Thomas Gunn (DF19) b1605; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    5,335
    Sex
    Location
    Poland
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-Z2552
    mtDNA (M)
    W6a

    Poland European Union
    Are you South Italian?

  5. #4
    Banned
    Posts
    446
    Sex
    Location
    Croatian_V 53% +
    Ethnicity
    Russian_cossack 47%
    Nationality
    Polish
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2a1b2
    mtDNA (M)
    U2

    Poland
    I match 36.9 CM and I have no regions common, the DNA spill over to next closest region? How does new MyHeritage matching works?

  6. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    5,583
    Sex
    Location
    Australia
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T1a2b- SK1480
    mtDNA (M)
    H95a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-S8172
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b17

    Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Ladinia Austria Tirol
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole2496 View Post
    I've been perplexed and I haven't seen anyone have this same "problem." I'm Italian (maternal) and Macedonian (paternal). Although, I was born in the U.S.

    My results were:
    Greek 92.7%
    Iberian 2.4%
    Italian 1.6%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 2.5%
    West Asian 0.8%

    My questions are:
    1. Why is my Italian percentage incredibly low?
    2. My paternal relatives are Macedonian, why am I 0% Balkan? (This is something that is confusing me even more because when I checked my DNA matches [Macedonian matches] they have around 30% Balkan. I have 0% Balkan. How could that be explained?)
    3. Why is my Greek percentage higher than what I've seen in Greek people born in Greece? (I had a DNA match of a person who is Greek and born in Greece and their Greek percentage was 75%)

    Even with Eurogenes K13, my closest population match is Thessaly (Greece) and that's followed by Central Greece.

    I'm genuinely confused and if someone has some kind of explanation for how or why my results are presented in this manner, then that would be great. I can't figure this out. I've been looking for an explanation all over the internet and I cannot find a single person who has encountered this.
    I presume that when you say macedonian, you mean Greek from the macedonian province ( salonika ), north of thessaly ........... and not the slav macedonia which is a separate nation. Is this correct?


    My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS3767+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, BY143483 )


    Grandfather via paternal grandmother = I1-L22 ydna
    Great grandmother paternal side = T1a1e mtdna

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

     Chatzianastasoglou (01-14-2018),  terrakis (01-18-2018)

  8. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    30
    Sex
    Location
    New York
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

    United States of America Macedonia Italy Italy Sicily
    No, I am talking about the Slavic region, that's why I'm very confused. Everything points to me being Greek, but clearly I'm not Greek (at least as far as I know).

  9. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    30
    Sex
    Location
    New York
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

    United States of America Macedonia Italy Italy Sicily
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    Are you South Italian?
    Yes, my maternal grandmother's relatives were from Naples, my maternal grandfather's relatives were from Sicily.

  10. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    30
    Sex
    Location
    New York
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

    United States of America Macedonia Italy Italy Sicily
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post
    In K13, are you just looking at just your single pops or also the other mixed mode results? My dad is German/British/ Ashkenazi and my mom is Lebanese, and K13 thinks I'm Italian (and others think I'm Cycladic Greek) in single pops, but the mixed mode 2-pops are much closer to the truth

    Nope, even my two populations approximation is Greek.
    50% Central_Greek +50% Greek_Thessaly 2.898634

  11. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    30
    Sex
    Location
    New York
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

    United States of America Macedonia Italy Italy Sicily
    Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    I presume that when you say macedonian, you mean Greek from the macedonian province ( salonika ), north of thessaly ........... and not the slav macedonia which is a separate nation. Is this correct?
    No, I'm referring to Slavic Macedonia. My paternal relatives were from Ohrid. That's why I'm confused...

  12. #10
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,441
    Sex
    Location
    United States
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA (P)
    P312>DF19>DF88
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1e
    Y-DNA (M)
    J2a1 Z6065>Y7708>M47
    mtDNA (P)
    H1j

    United States of America Lebanon Germany United Kingdom Belgium Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole2496 View Post
    Nope, even my two populations approximation is Greek.
    50% Central_Greek +50% Greek_Thessaly 2.898634
    Click the other option (not the one with the 4-pops).
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112>BY44243

    Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Thomas Gunn (DF19) b1605; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Greek auDNA results.
    By dosas in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-21-2020, 12:52 PM
  2. Pontic Greek DNA Results
    By GiourkasNinisiadis in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2018, 05:05 PM
  3. Greek Ancestry DNA results vol. 2
    By terrakis in forum General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-20-2017, 12:53 PM
  4. Greek DNA results.
    By terrakis in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-14-2017, 02:16 PM
  5. Operation Antioch: Greek Orthodox and Greek Catholic Levantines
    By wandering_amorite in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-02-2016, 08:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •