Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain my results? Nearly 100% Greek, but I'm not Greek?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

United States of America Macedonia Italy Italy Sicily
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post
    Is there a reason you only posted one?
    87.7% Greek_Thessaly + 12.3% Cyprian 2.41
    91.4% Greek_Thessaly + 8.6% Armenian 2.47
    91% Greek_Thessaly + 9% Assyrian 2.49
    55% South_Italian + 45% Greek_Thessaly 2.53
    91.4% Greek_Thessaly + 8.6% Georgian_Jewish 2.54
    70.1% Central_Greek + 29.9% Bulgarian 2.56
    80.3% South_Italian + 19.7% Ukrainian_Belgorod 2.58
    89.6% Greek_Thessaly + 10.4% Lebanese_Muslim 2.59
    64% Greek_Thessaly + 36% Central_Greek 2.6
    80.2% South_Italian + 19.8% Southwest_Russian 2.62
    91.8% Greek_Thessaly + 8.2% Kurdish_Jewish 2.62
    64.6% East_Sicilian + 35.4% Central_Greek 2.62
    91.5% Greek_Thessaly + 8.5% Lebanese_Christian 2.69
    92% Greek_Thessaly + 8% Iranian_Jewish 2.7
    81.9% South_Italian + 18.1% Erzya 2.7
    88% Central_Greek + 12% Ukrainian 2.72
    88.8% Central_Greek + 11.2% Southwest_Russian 2.72
    90.6% Central_Greek + 9.4% Lithuanian 2.74
    91.4% Greek_Thessaly + 8.6% Samaritan 2.75
    83.1% South_Italian + 16.9% Lithuanian 2.75

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicole2496 For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (01-13-2018),  selectivememri (01-15-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by Modernancientdna View Post
    If you have west Macedonia and south Italy roots you are getting this high Greek by default you are probably very similar with their Greek, Albanian references or maybe you have actual Greek ancestor or ancestors
    I noticed on AncestryDNA that I do have a few very distant cousins who are from Greece, assuming that ancestry is accurate about them being my distant cousins, then I think that would mean there is a possibility of having a distant Greek relative somewhere down the line. I just wish that I could find someone else who is also Italian and Macedonian and compare my results with theirs, because I get the impression that the reason why it's showing up at Greek is because that's just how those two blend together. If I could find another person that is Italian and Macedonian then I could at least see if they get Greek results too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole2496 For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (01-13-2018)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA (M)
    H23
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-ZS1711
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Arbėreshė Wales Germany Palatinate Polish–LithuanianCommonwealth Israel Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole2496 View Post
    I noticed on AncestryDNA that I do have a few very distant cousins who are from Greece, assuming that ancestry is accurate about them being my distant cousins, then I think that would mean there is a possibility of having a distant Greek relative somewhere down the line. I just wish that I could find someone else who is also Italian and Macedonian and compare my results with theirs, because I get the impression that the reason why it's showing up at Greek is because that's just how those two blend together. If I could find another person that is Italian and Macedonian then I could at least see if they get Greek results too.
    Do you have any closer autosomal matches say like 2 or 3rd cousin? If so where are they from?
    Maternal Grandfather's mtDNA: K2b1

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by Tįltos View Post
    Do you have any closer autosomal matches say like 2 or 3rd cousin? If so where are they from?
    I have two matches of people whose estimated relationship to me is "1st cousin twice removed - 2nd cousin once removed," and those two people are a mother and her son. Their location is the United States so I don't know where they're from, but I'm going to assume that they're Macedonian because of their last name.

When I compare my percentages to their percentages, I notice that they both have the Balkan percentage that I'm missing (The woman has 32.9%, the man has 46.4%, and I have 0%) I also notice that my Greek percentage is much higher than their Greek percentages (The woman has 55.4%, the man has 45.5%, and I have 92.7%)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole2496 For This Useful Post:

Tįltos (01-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Breton & Maineau
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY145002 (DF13+)
    mtDNA (M)
    U4c1a

France France Bretagne
    Maybe, try this:
    http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/similitude.htm

You can also delete the population Macedonia (FYROM) (Fonction B ), and see if the results gives the Italians
    Y haplogroup: R1b: L21 --> DF13 --> BY145002
    The oldest L21 known are I2457 et I2565 from Stonehenge (Beaker Culture, 2400-1900 BC)

MTDNA: U4c1
    The oldest U4c1 known are "poz224", Yamnaya culture (2882-2698 BC), and 2 Bell-Beaker in Germany (Karsdorf, 2314-2042 BC)

Paternal MTDNA: K1b2b
    The oldest K1b2 are Eastern European Mesolithic: Kunda Donkalnis5 (Lithuania), 6000 BC and Meso-Ene Lepenski Vir Lepe28 in Serbia, 5900 BC.
    The oldest K1b2b is Alt-3, Corded-Ware Germany (2500 BC)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152-Z36+FGC6511
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a

United States of America Germany England France Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole2496 View Post
    I am mixed South German and English, leaning South German, and regularly score "French". My mother is almost half South German and English and regularly scores "Belgian" or "Dutch". I think what you mention is just the way the mix appears to the calculator does happen quite a bit.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by Tolan View Post
    Maybe, try this:

You can also delete the population Macedonia (FYROM) (Fonction B ), and see if the results gives the Italians
    I'm a bit confused with what I'm looking at. I removed the Macedonian population, I typed in all the numbers and clicked validate. It says "The results of the cards below concern 29% of your ancestors." Then they show a map with numbers. What do those numbers represent and what does that percentage of ancestors represent? Also, it shows the highest numbers are in Italy and Greece, lower Italy and lower Greece are in the 50s and even some areas go up to 60. What do those numbers mean?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by randwulf View Post
    I am mixed South German and English, leaning South German, and regularly score "French". My mother is almost half South German and English and regularly scores "Belgian" or "Dutch". I think what you mention is just the way the mix appears to the calculator does happen quite a bit.
    That's what I'm thinking as well, although, the thing that I notice is that when I look at my distant cousin matches, a lot of them do have Greek relatives further back in their ancestry. With that in mind, in order for someone to be a cousin, you're sharing the same ancestor. So one person was like a 4th cousin and they had relatives that were Greek in their ancestry. Since they're my 4th cousin, that means we share a common ancestor. That means that if their ancestors are Greek, then there's a good chance that our common ancestor was also Greek. And I found this in a few people looking at their family trees. So it might be that the mix is contributing to my Greek results, but I think there's also a possibility that I do have Greek ancestors that were just too far back for me to know about.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nicole2496 For This Useful Post:

randwulf (01-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italy | North Macedonia
    Nationality
    North America
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by Tolan View Post
    Maybe, try this:

I think I understand what this shows, but I also am not sure. When I just put in my results normally without removing the population, it shows low 80s scattered around southern Italy and high 80s scattered around southern Greece. When I remove Macedonia (FYROM), the numbers drop down to around the 50s in both southern Italy and southern Greece. And when I remove the population, it also says "The results of the cards below concern 29% of your ancestors."

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Macedonia
    cool results! i'm macedonian as well, on dna land i show 0 balkan as well, but quite a bit of like baltic and med islander, whereas my mom's biggest chunk is balkan and maybe a bit italian and sardinian. all this to say, if my mom had over 50% balkan, you'd think i'd inheritance a percentage of that. i think a lot of these calcs have difficulty parsing through admixtures especially for people in this region who are already pretty mixed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast