Ethnicity
    Italian/Macedonian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

United States of America Macedonia Italy Italy Sicily

Maternal Haplogroup T2?

I have the maternal haplogroup T2. What does anyone know about this haplogroup? I can't really find any information about it.
    AncestryDNA: Italy/Greece (68%) | Europe East (19%) | Middle East (9%) | Asia South (2%) | European Jewish (<1%) | Caucasus (<1%)
    MyHeritage: Greek (92.7%) | Ashkenazi Jewish (2.5%) | Iberian (2.4%) | Italian (1.6%) | West Asian (0.8%)
    K13 Single-Population Closest Match: Greek_Thessaly @ 3.73
    K13 Mixed-Mode Closest Match: 87.7% Greek_Thessaly + 12.3% Cyprian @ 2.41

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    V-c

New Zealand Croatia Bosnia and Herzegovina Poland England Ireland
    I've gone and moved this thread to the appropriate section in mtDNA Haplogroups, so you are more likely to get a response
    Known ancestry - English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Bosnian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

nicole2496 (01-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Are you like T2, T2? No subclades? Have you done further testing or checked it manually to see which subclade you belong to?
    T2 is pretty broad.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian/Macedonian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by maydonez View Post
    Are you like T2, T2? No subclades? Have you done further testing or checked it manually to see which subclade you belong to?
    T2 is pretty broad.
    Yes, all it says is T2. And how would I check for that manually? Do I just look at the data and find the SNP associated with that haplogroup? Because I have 11812G, and it says that that is associated with the T2 haplogroup.
    AncestryDNA: Italy/Greece (68%) | Europe East (19%) | Middle East (9%) | Asia South (2%) | European Jewish (<1%) | Caucasus (<1%)
    MyHeritage: Greek (92.7%) | Ashkenazi Jewish (2.5%) | Iberian (2.4%) | Italian (1.6%) | West Asian (0.8%)

Registered Users
    Sex

Manually checking your data might be a bit challenging at first. Since you don't have any subclade or even a close match, checking every mutation for each subclade is time consuming and unnecessary. There are some pages where you upload your rawdata and they make assumptions. They are mostly accurate.
    Where did you get tested? If you were tested with 23andme anytime after August, 2017 you can use new james lick page: dna.jameslick.com/mthap-new/
    Let's see what james lick gives you first.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian/Macedonian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by maydonez View Post
    Manually checking your data might be a bit challenging at first. Since you don't have any subclade or even a close match, checking every mutation for each subclade is time consuming and unnecessary. There are some pages where you upload your rawdata and they make assumptions. They are mostly accurate.
    Where did you get tested? If you were tested with 23andme anytime after August, 2017 you can use new james lick page: dna.jameslick.com/mthap-new/
    Let's see what james lick gives you first.
    I tested with Ancestry, then I came across the site WeGene. So I uploaded my raw data to WeGene and then it said the maternal haplogroup is T2. I looked for the other mutations for each subclade of T2 and I don't have anything that matches them. I have 11812G which is for T2 and that's it, I don't have anymore matches beyond that.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (+ L48)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b3b

Acadia
    T2* is essentially a West Eurasian haplogroup. Centered around Near Eastern, European and Caucasian maternal lineages. Nevertheless, the origin of T2b* seems to be a predominant Western/Central European haplogroup. Highest frequencies more prevalent in North Italians from the looks of it. Has been proposed that it is essentially an early Neolithic haplogroup that took refuge in the Near East during the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM) when it coalesced into a European specific mutation with innumerous sub branches/mutations. I researched my own mtdna (T2b3b); seems to be mostly Western European in origin.

Here is a scholarly article detailing the distribution of T2b*:
    Haplogroup T2 (Figure S2), which dates to ∼21 ka ago, forms the major part of haplogroup T in terms of both frequency (predominating in western Europe, where it reaches ∼80% of total T lineages) and number of basal clades (at least nine, T2a–T2i). T2 is most frequent in Mediterranean and central and western Europe (∼8%, reaching almost 13% in northern Italy) but is also common (up to ∼10%) in some parts of the Levant and Iran. The whole-genome data show that about three-quarters of T2 variation in Europe can be classified into subclades through the use of HVS-I data, but less than half of the variation in the Near East and the Caucasus can be so classified.

By far the most common subclade within T2 is T2b, which is predominantly European, dates to ∼10 ka ago, and is quite star-like, with 13 named basal subclades (T2b1–T2b24), along with at least seven more unnamed subclades represented by only two complete sequences each, as well as a large number of (mostly European) paraphyletic T2b∗ lineages; no doubt many more subclades remain to be discovered. The larger of the T2b subclades date to ∼6–9 ka ago and are predominantly European, albeit with evidence of substantial gene flow into the Near East. A clear example is T2b4, which includes a small derived subclade, identifiable in the HVS-I network, which appears to have spread into the Gulf region and further into Nepal, but the existence of several other lineages (either matching common and diverse European lineages or those derived from predominantly European clusters) throughout the HVS-I network points to multiple migrations into the Near East from Europe. Near Eastern matches usually include eastern Europeans, suggesting a probable route back into the Near East. The early presence of T2 in Europe (even with the assumption that it arose in the Near East) suggests that ancestors of T2b might have been present in Europe well before the age of T2b itself, at any time back to the LGM, although T2b seems to have been dispersed within Europe during the early Neolithic period. T2b has been identified in Neolithic remains from Italy, Spain, France, Germany, and Sweden.33–35,47–49 It has also been identified in a Mesolithic Pitted Ware sample from Scandinavia, dating to 4.0–4.8 ka ago, during the period of coexistence with Funnel Beaker farming communities, suggesting the possibility of assimilation of lineages from the Neolithic period into the hunter-gatherer population.46 [...]

Article Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...02929712002042

You can search more scholarly journal on your mtdna haplogroup via google scholar: https://scholar.google.com/
    Last edited by Aldric; 01-15-2018 at 09:41 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aldric For This Useful Post:

maydonez (01-20-2018),  tamandua (01-22-2018),  Verity (10-18-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15733
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

For people who have tested T2 at FTDNA, the admins of the long-silent T2 project there have just restored the myGroups format [on a 30-day trial basis] and its "Activity Feed" -- the internal forum, available to the roughly 2500 project members. So there is a bit of chatter, there, that has been missing for some 2 1/2 years.

I realize that the OP did not test at FTDNA, but somebody who has done so might see the thread.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to razyn For This Useful Post:

Litz (01-16-2018),  tamandua (01-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    I am only T2b, even after doing full sequence. I'd kind of given up on it giving me any kind of specific info.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinBMc For This Useful Post:

tamandua (01-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian/Macedonian
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by RobinBMc View Post
    I am only T2b, even after doing full sequence. I'd kind of given up on it giving me any kind of specific info.
    I only found out yesterday, so I've been looking online all day for more information about this haplogroup. I just hate that my haplogroup is just T2 and nothing else because while it does give a bit of an idea of where my maternal line started, it doesn't really get too specific. I feel like the other haplogroups have much more information and the T haplogroup just don't get much attention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast