Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French/Italian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    L259

My dad is deceased now. Can I order the big y without a new sample?
    Also I see you are 25 DYS 390 - same as my dad.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA
    J1c2g (FMS)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    FTDNA may have enough of your father's DNA to run the Big Y test. If I was you, I would contact them and let them know he is deceased, and ask them first if they believe they have enough DNA to run the test.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106-L259
    mtDNA
    H1ay

And if not,you can have the test done on yourself.
    Your Y DNA is either exactly like his,or extremely close.
    I haven't done Big Y,but my deceased father,brother,and myself all have STR results.
    My brother was exactly like my dad.
    There was evidently a replication slippage error with me,as one of my fast-mutaters is 1 off from my father.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French/Italian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    L259

Gary,
    Hah!! Well, I do have a brother.
    and, thanks for the tip, wing.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106-L259
    mtDNA
    H1ay

Is your genealogy data posted on the net somewhere?
    Interesting to me that you go back to Northeast France. That is exactly the sort of thing I have been wanting to see for several years,an L259 that lives in Europe or has definite knowledge of their European location origins.
    I have not looked deeply into what FTDNA may have on the subject,but 23andMe says I am largely British/Irish,but have noticeable French/German and a bit of Scandinavian still present.
    The Mumma folks have German origins-I wonder now if L259 is from the area historically contested between France and Germany,being Northeast France?
    I wish more French and Germans from the area had some public test results!!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French/Italian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    L259

Gary,
    A relative of ours in Arras in Pas de Calais happens to be an expert geologist and has generously given me birth, death, baptism and marriage records of my father's family going back to the 1600's. They were all born within a 50 mile radius of Hesdin. Other towns that appear are Anvin, Pierremont, and Crepy. In the late 1800s evidently the men became coal miners in Lens, also in northeast France. Then mining companies from the US came to the French mining areas to recruit men. My grandfather came to Pennsylvania to mine coal in about 1912 as I recall. He was 16. All of our family first names and wives' names are very French. I don't know our history before 1630. However the name Leonard Danel (a printer) is famously traced back to the 1300's in Lille, also in northeast France...no close relation obviously as we were miners!!!

Oops--- the original printer Leonard Danel is circa 1600's not 1300's. he was an orphan adopted by a printing family in Lille. he developed a certain typeface. A later Leonard Danel was a prominent publisher. Tons of Danel's in northeast France.
    Last edited by Cdanel; 09-10-2014 at 04:13 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdanel For This Useful Post:

palamede (09-10-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    French/Italian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    L259

Gary,
    I ordered the Big Y but FTDNA just told there is not enough of a sample to run the Big Y on my dad. .

I will donate the cost of the test to you or to someone you suggest. Let me know.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdanel For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (07-03-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106-L259
    mtDNA
    H1ay

That is incredibly nice of you.
    Thanks very much!
    You said you had a brother-I am assuming he is a full brother and not a half brother?
    Being a full brother,having the same father,he has the same Y as Fernand Danel had.
    If your brother is agreeable,I think it would be best to test HIM.
    That way,you will gain the personal satisfaction of also knowing what your dad had.
    Plus,because Wilbur Corbitt has already done the Big Y,it would likely be a bit redundant to also do me.
    There is much more potential to expand our knowledge base of L259 by testing YOUR family Y line than by doing another test on mine,in other words.
    Do you think your brother would agree to doing this?
    Thanks again!!

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon/Jute?
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b U106>Z301>Z154

Z301>Z155>Z154

Z301* (U106>Z381>Z301>Z155>Z154) (L48- U198-)

I am looking for more information concerning our haplogroup origins. I am a member of our family historical society, and we have an active DNA Project. Our family tree may originate from Kent, England in the Whitstable area. Our oldest know ancestor in the US was born in 1705 in Virginia. There are some indications that his father may have been the original immigrant from England to Maryland. We recently contacted males of our same surname in England, and five men responded to our mailings and participated in DNA testing and have matched to us. We are currently underway with investigating their family trees in effort to identify the immigrant to the US that is our common ancestor. Is there any information available on the origin of U106>Z381>Z301>Z155 subclades? This would be very helpful to our genealogical research. Thank you!

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    Galactic Empire
    Y-DNA
    R-Z324, Z5055, L188+
    mtDNA
    H5

Z155>Z154 is a very thin/small branch in terms of how many unique lineages have tested into it. That makes it difficult to get a good guess in place until a couple of additional lines join your region. Ask the question in the U106 yahoo discussion group and follow the current version of Iain's U106 analysis at http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~mcdonald/genetics.html to see what is being conjectured. Meanwhile look at getting any other surnames on your 37 or 67 STR marker lists tested to see if they might also fall into the Z155 region.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast