American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152 >L2>BY34131
    mtDNA
    J1b1a1a

United States of America Scotland England Netherlands

The Tutankhamun DNA Project

https://www.igenea.com/en/tutankhamun

Ok... so I came across some controversy about King Tut's DNA and some supposed conspiracy to hide it. Just happened across this while looking at other stuff. Anyways, decided to do what we all do these days, Google it. Came across this website supposedly posting his Y-STR and stating he was R-M269. Say what?

Figured I'd look here to possibly get better insight into what the "truth" might be. Searched the forums and to my surprise, no hits on "King Tut". Anybody know anything about this subject matter?

Here's some excerpts....

Are you a direct male descendant of the Pharaos? iGENEA exclusively publishes the Y-DNA profile of Tutankhamun and starts the search for his last living relatives.

In the year 2009 extended DNA-tests had been carried out with the mummy of Tutankamun and other members for his family. These have only partially been published in February 2010. Despite several demands, the results of the Y-DNA tests have been shut away.
    Tutankhamun belongs to the haplogroup R-M269, which more than 50% of all men in Western Europe belong to.

DYS# 393 390 19 391 385a 385b 439 389-1
    Allele 13 24 8/14 11 11 14 10 13

DYS# 392 389-2 458 437 448 GATA H4 456 438
    Allele 13 30 16 9/14 19 10 15 12
    Y-DNA profile of Tutankhamun
    TIA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PLogan For This Useful Post:

Silesian (01-16-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-M223
    mtDNA
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...le#Tutankhamun

"Tutankhamun's Y-DNA haplogroup was not published in the academic paper,[29][30][31] however iGENEA, a Swiss personal genomics company, claimed to have reconstructed King Tut's Y-DNA profile based on screencaps from a Discovery Channel documentary about the study."

This doesn't sound very reliable, if you ask me.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobinBMc For This Useful Post:

Afshar (01-16-2018),  PLogan (01-16-2018),  Silesian (01-16-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Yamna/Bell Beaker/Sarmat
    Nationality
    Unknown, to be confirmed.
    Y-DNA
    R1b>BY593
    mtDNA
    U5b2a2

Quote Originally Posted by PLogan View Post
    https://www.igenea.com/en/tutankhamun

Ok... so I came across some controversy about King Tut's DNA and some supposed conspiracy to hide it. Just happened across this while looking at other stuff. Anyways, decided to do what we all do these days, Google it. Came across this website supposedly posting his Y-STR and stating he was R-M269. Say what?

Figured I'd look here to possibly get better insight into what the "truth" might be. Searched the forums and to my surprise, no hits on "King Tut". Anybody know anything about this subject matter?

Here's some excerpts....

TIA
    It would be odd if they released officially Ramses III strs and not KiIng Tut's
    http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e8268.

FAIK the results have never been made officially public. Nor have there been follow up testing. If you can find official paper -let us know.
    Last edited by Silesian; 01-16-2018 at 02:04 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152 >L2>BY34131
    mtDNA
    J1b1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by RobinBMc View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...le#Tutankhamun

"Tutankhamun's Y-DNA haplogroup was not published in the academic paper,[29][30][31] however iGENEA, a Swiss personal genomics company, claimed to have reconstructed King Tut's Y-DNA profile based on screencaps from a Discovery Channel documentary about the study."

Good find.... Thanks!

I'm no Spencer Wells, but Tut being R1b just seemed odd.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152 >L2>BY34131
    mtDNA
    J1b1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Silesian View Post
    AFAIK the results have never been made officially public. Nor have there been follow up testing. If you can find official paper -let us know.
    So I guess that begs the question, why haven't they made it public? There are "tons" of DNA reports coming out all the time on ancient DNA samples, what's the big secret? Guess I kind of understand now why some folks were talking about controversy and conspiracy. I just thought it was because he got supposedly classified as R1b.

Strange...

King Tut was New Kingdom. I don't think he's a good example of the traditional Egyptian.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152 >L2>BY34131
    mtDNA
    J1b1a1a

Ok... here's what I've found so far... basically the initial test is challenged by many as possibly being the results of contamination. They're now utilizing new techniques to bypass soft tissue and get samples from inside bone and teeth.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2...ed-population/

Even more surprisingly, when comparing the mummies’ DNA to modern Egyptians, the scientists found quite a bit of difference. Modern Egyptians have a significant amount -- about 20 percent -- of DNA traced to sub-saharan African. The mummies had much less -- 6 to 15 percent. The ancient Egyptians’ DNA more closely resembled modern day Middle Easterners.

This mummy DNA study is the most widely covered since King Tutenkhamun was sequenced in 2014. That study was controversial because of the level of DNA contamination which led some people to allege that King Tut was white or European.

The techniques for the 151-mummy study could potentially be used to re-analyze King Tut and family’s DNA because the technique looks for damage in the DNA before analyzing it. But only if access to the tomb can be granted. That may remain impossible given the current political climate in Egypt. One of the goals of analyzing DNA from ancient peoples is to understand the political relationships of the time. Ironically, access to those is dependent on current political relationships.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PLogan For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (01-16-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    DF27, FGC15733
    mtDNA
    T2f3

Quote Originally Posted by RobinBMc View Post
    The unreliability is based on the suspicion (not held by everyone) that the sample tested was contaminated by some more recent handler of the remains. But the sequence they displayed on that Discovery Channel program was, indeed, readable if one captured a frame or three -- the camera was panning across it as displayed on a lab computer screen. So, those STR allele values were captured. And they do look rather like M269 values. The unresolved question is, whose?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to razyn For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (01-17-2018),  Silesian (01-16-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Yamna/Bell Beaker/Sarmat
    Nationality
    Unknown, to be confirmed.
    Y-DNA
    R1b>BY593
    mtDNA
    U5b2a2

Quote Originally Posted by PLogan View Post
    So I guess that begs the question, why haven't they made it public? There are "tons" of DNA reports coming out all the time on ancient DNA samples, what's the big secret? Guess I kind of understand now why some folks were talking about controversy and conspiracy. I just thought it was because he got supposedly classified as R1b.

Strange...
    I would think if paternal identity is in question[contamination]or a lot of samples[16]-that any scientific paper would mention the remote possibility that the sample does not belong to the King Tut dynastic line. The conclusions on identity by logic would precede the science of physical sickness/maladies and other attributes? Logic- one determines identity with proof- first.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a.../king-tut-dna/

Secretary General Zahi Hawass of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities teamed up with paleogeneticist Carsten Pusch from the University of Tübingen in Germany, to examine Tutankhamen and 10 royal mummies, including the two fetuses, presumed to be related to him for kinship, inherited disorders and infectious diseases. Five mummies that were thought to be unrelated served as morphological and genetic controls. Hawass, Pusch and 15 other scientists continue to perform detailed anthropological, radiological and genetic studies on the precious mummies in a lab built into the basement of the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities in Cairo—two floors below the famous golden mask.

After extracting tiny amounts of ancient DNA from the mummies' bones, the researchers amplified 16 short tandem repeats (short sequences in the DNA that create a genetic fingerprint) and eight polymorphic microsatellites (hereditary molecular markers) to testable quantities using techniques commonly employed in criminal or paternity investigations. They also looked for DNA sequences from the malaria pathogen.

Based on their results so far, the researchers were able to name several mummies who were previously anonymous (referred to only by tomb number), including Tut's grandmother "Tiye" and Tut's father, the KV55 mummy probably named "Akhenaten". "This is the most important discovery since the finding of the tomb of Tutankhamen in 1922," Hawass says. The team also identified the mummy likely to be Tut's mother as KV35YL, not Queen Nefertiti as was once thought. "Now I'm sure that it cannot be Nefertiti, and therefore the mother of King Tut is one of the daughters of Amenhotep III and Tiye—and there are five," Hawass says, adding that he plans to investigate this further........
    "The more data we collected, the more the museum specimens came back to life," Pusch says, who admits he was worried about working with such ancient "pharaohic" DNA. "We had 16 mummies," Pusch explained. "You have a lot to do in the lab when you have a single mummy!" But the embalming process used to preserve these royal remains worked in Pusch's favor. "Some embalming really enhances the preservation of genetic material," he says.

Last edited by Silesian; 01-16-2018 at 10:10 AM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silesian For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (01-16-2018),  Mis (01-16-2018),  PLogan (01-16-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    TBT

Lebanon
    How correct is this claim? Would not he be more of an E1b1b man?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast