Ethnicity
    Celto Germanic
    Y-DNA
    R-L21>DF13>A4556
    mtDNA
    J1c3a

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I recommend 'The Book of Ulster Surnames' by Robert Bell. It is an intelligent book that considers native Irish, Scottish, English etc names found in Ulster. It is very good in terms of pointing out all the duplicate surnames, their various origins and the probability of which one is most likely. Its a far better book than McLysaght which doesnt go into anywhere much as detail and has a poorer understanding of the issue of duplicate names.
    Thanks for the book recommendation. I found it in a library nearby. I also checked the 1901 Census which was enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    Mac, I suspect this has been looked at already on the main M222 list - and in fact there was a post mentioning DYS393=14 by Colin Ferguson on the ferguson-dna list and there may be others if you do a bit of archive searching.
    If you just match on one off-modal marker you may of course by Identical by State not Descent so you need to study all those who match and figure it out.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-04/1334948150

Main list:

http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/i...NA-R1B1C7.html

Colin was posting on the main list at least up to last year so your query might be best posted there.

MacUalraig
    Thanks for the links. I think I understand state now. The R-M222 project spreadsheet shows just how far people can diverge from the modal in a few thousand years. Comparing the first row to the last row of the main group there is a double digit GD at 12 markers. And the group in the middle who are all on the modal could have arrived at their current state though many different paths. I assume most who are on modal today wondered off and came back although statistically with a large enough population someone could stay on-modal for 2000 years.

So what is the expected number of steps in the first 12 STRs over 2000 years?
    R-P312/S116 > L21/S145 > DF13 > Z39589 > A4556 > 2777444-T-C

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    FGC4113
    mtDNA
    H3i1

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I recommend 'The Book of Ulster Surnames' by Robert Bell. It is an intelligent book that considers native Irish, Scottish, English etc names found in Ulster. It is very good in terms of pointing out all the duplicate surnames, their various origins and the probability of which one is most likely. Its a far better book than McLysaght which doesnt go into anywhere much as detail and has a poorer understanding of the issue of duplicate names.
    It's a very insightful book alright.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    FGC4113
    mtDNA
    H3i1

Ireland
    I sure hope Eamon isn't M222!

I was researching my surname- McElmurry. Your post caught my interest because Henry McElmurry was my great, great grandfather!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Moyacook For This Useful Post:

rms2 (08-21-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12