Thread: Is facial hair effected by ethnicity/genetics ?

Is facial hair effected by ethnicity/genetics ?

I don't have ALOT of facial hair, but it grows really fast on my upperlip aka my moustache, also a bit on the sides of my cheek/jaw, most hair on my face is very light as it's not very thick and coarse, however there are a few wavy tiny black hairs on my chin and face as my body hair is pure black, same goes for my eyebrows, but only my hair is very dark brown, like from afar it looks black but it really isn't PURE black. My ethnicities are basically 16-21% Middle eastern, 23-27% african, and 2.30% native american. So that equals to like almost half of my DNA which is not european, could that possibly effect the way my facial hair will look? (like a beard of that of an Arab, coarse, curly/wavy and thick as hell?) i can't tell for sure now as i am only 17 and all the noticable facial hair of mine is basically my moustache and thin but darkish sideburns, any tips on how to help induce facial hair growth too? would appreciate it

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152-Z36-A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    Give it a couple more years, dude. Let nature take its course. With a face full of facial hair comes responsibilities like keeping bills paid and providing for a family and being strong when everyone else around you wants to be weak. Enjoy being 17 and don't rush things. The day will come when thin facial hair will be the least of your worries. With your ethnic background, I suspect your beard will soon be quite thick.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

bmoney (02-03-2018),  parasar (02-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Grossvater View Post
    Give it a couple more years, dude. Let nature take its course. With a face full of facial hair comes responsibilities like keeping bills paid and providing for a family and being strong when everyone else around you wants to be weak. Enjoy being 17 and don't rush things. The day will come when thin facial hair will be the least of your worries. With your ethnic background, I suspect your beard will soon be quite thick.
    Damn haha, i really do hope so that i get a nice thick ol curly beard. It will show my ethnicity way better than now with a just clean shaven face, my hair is like slightly wavy (used to be curly as all living hell) so idk maybe puberty changed my natural hair texture aswell, but if i'd have a black curly beard i'd be more than happy XD

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152-Z36-A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    To paraphrase Bilbo in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, may your beard never grow thin!

Quote Originally Posted by Grossvater View Post
    To paraphrase Bilbo in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, may your beard never grow thin!
    xDD lol i truly hope i once do grow a decent beard cuz i heard some teens have difficulties even growing a moustache, which is more than an easy task for me, i just let my moustache grow out for 2-3 days and it's back already, it's not a thick ass iranian moustache but my moustache definitely does have thick black hairs.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    Yeah, of course.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    My facial hair grows fast and thick and always has, ever since high school. Now it's mostly white, which is a drag. But the hair on my head is also mostly white now, so whatever.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-L21> DF13> Z39589> DF41> FGC5572> BY168> BY166> FGC36974> FGC36982> FGC36981

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1a

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (02-02-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    My facial hair grows fast and thick and always has, ever since high school. Now it's mostly white, which is a drag. But the hair on my head is also mostly white now, so whatever.
    And the wonder to me is not that one side of my face (hair included) grew to be close to a mirror image of the other.
    No, not at all.
    The wonder is that the current bald patch results from an almost precisely mirror image loss of [grey] hair on both sides.
    How does one half know what the other half is doing?
    (Rhetorical question - no answers needed.)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

rms2 (02-03-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1/R-L295
    mtDNA (M)
    M30

Its definitely affected.

Not only by blood levels of androgens but also follicle sensitivity to androgens

For example E Asians have normal levels of androgens but less androgen sensitivity - so their follicles are not as responsive to androgenic stimulus

Also, as you mentioned curliness of hair would be influenced by genetics

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bmoney For This Useful Post:

Saetro (02-04-2018)

Hey, boy, you are worried too early. Race and genetics do affect hair growth, but you can also grow your beard like this:
    1. Sleep well
    2. Drink one more cup of water a day.
    3. Regular shower after sweating to keep the hair follicles moist and unobstructed
    4. Avoid excessive fat, but develop the habit of eating protein, vegetables, vitamins and nutritional supplements.
    5. You can use the beard growing oil when you grow up.