Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Picts/Caledonians, Britons and Gaels, what's the difference?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    N1c1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    H3b

Quote Originally Posted by avalon View Post
    "Cheddar man was an ugly brown dwarf". Is that your opinion or is this just what these "Nordicists" might say?
    A figure of speech. He isn't particularly ugly tbh, but hardly a posterboy for any ethnonationalist movement. Not really sure what the average /pol goer would envision the first Briton or European to actually look like.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to homunculus For This Useful Post:

Ryukendo (02-08-2021)

Banned
    Ethnicity
    Maltese & British
    Nationality
    GOYIM
    Y-DNA (P)
    Sicilian
    mtDNA (M)
    Celtic

England North of England Malta Scotland Isle of Man
    Is anyone aware of a book called "The Races of Britain" by Beddoe? It was written and recorded by an enthusiastic doctor in the 1800s.

He found there was a trend that the further West in the Isles you went the darker the hair was (being at its apex on the west coast of Ireland) and that light eyes increased westwards too.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FT79393
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b3b

England Scotland Northern Ireland United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    "Rufosity" - love it!
    Despite having one ancestral surname as "Reed" = Red, there was no sign of red headedness in me until I grew a beard back in the 70's.
    Among the mostly dark brown hair were some red ones, particularly a streak on each side that eventually went grey/white.

Thank you for moving the conversation on from a backwater.
    I had the same beard experience: I had black hair, yet my beard looked like an Alsatian! It turned out that my ancestors were redheads.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Scottish
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S12289
    mtDNA (M)
    H3aa

Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    Maybe Southern Wales also had more of Neolithic auDNA (even though it doesn't have so much of I2):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silures#Origins
    I don't know where he got the bit about Caledonains looking like Gauls or Spanairds. The term 'Spain' was not used in ancient times. It was referred to as Iberia.

BTW this was what Tacitus really said about Caledonains and Silures:
    The physique of the people presents many varieties, whence inferences are drawn: the red hair and the large limbs of the inhabitants of Caledonia proclaim their German origin; the swarthy faces of the Silures,2 the curly quality, in general, of their hair, and the position of Spain opposite their shores, attest the passage of Iberians in old days and the occupation by them of these districts; those peoples, again, who adjoin Gaul are also like Gauls, whether because the influence of heredity persists, or because when two lands project in opposite directions till they face each other the climatic condition stamps a certain physique on the human body; but, taking a general view of the case, we can readily believe that the Gauls took possession of the adjacent island. You would find there Gallic ceremonies and Gallic religious beliefs; the language is not very different; there is the same recklessness in courting danger, and, when it comes, the same anxiety to escape it; but the Britons display a higher spirit, not having yet been emasculated by long years of peace. The Gauls also, according to history, once shone in war: afterwards indolence made its appearance hand in hand with peace, and courage and liberty have been lost together.

https://www.loebclassics.com/view/ta..._LCL035.47.xml

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BillMC For This Useful Post:

palamede (09-21-2019)

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829