Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
Results 291 to 298 of 298

Thread: Picts/Caledonians, Britons and Gaels, what's the difference?

  1. #291
    Registered Users
    Posts
    607
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49*
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

    Northern Ireland England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by alejandromb92 View Post
    What clades of L21 were common among caledonians?
    At present we have no published aDNA from Iron Age Scotland at all. We're waiting for the release of a massive paper from David Reich's lab that will hopefully tell us a lot about what was where, when, in the British Isles.

    The following summary will give you an idea of some of the Scottish samples we might see in the (hopefully) not too distant future:

    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...F_JANUARY_2019

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to David Mc For This Useful Post:

     alejandromb92 (06-09-2021),  Caledonian (06-10-2021),  Cunobelinus_T (06-09-2021),  homunculus (06-09-2021),  Saetro (06-09-2021),  Trevlos21 (06-09-2021),  Webb (06-09-2021)

  3. #292
    Registered Users
    Posts
    843
    Sex
    Location
    Spain
    Ethnicity
    Hispano-American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY711*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c

    Venezuela Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    At present we have no published aDNA from Iron Age Scotland at all. We're waiting for the release of a massive paper from David Reich's lab that will hopefully tell us a lot about what was where, when, in the British Isles.

    The following summary will give you an idea of some of the Scottish samples we might see in the (hopefully) not too distant future:

    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...F_JANUARY_2019
    Great! Hoping for some DF63+ in those samples!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alejandromb92 For This Useful Post:

     David Mc (06-09-2021),  Webb (06-09-2021)

  5. #293
    Registered Users
    Posts
    15
    Sex
    Omitted

    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    At present we have no published aDNA from Iron Age Scotland at all. We're waiting for the release of a massive paper from David Reich's lab that will hopefully tell us a lot about what was where, when, in the British Isles.

    The following summary will give you an idea of some of the Scottish samples we might see in the (hopefully) not too distant future:

    https://www.researchgate.net/publica...F_JANUARY_2019
    Seeing as that sample was from 2 and a half years ago, is there any idea when it might be relased?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trevlos21 For This Useful Post:

     Webb (06-09-2021)

  7. #294
    Registered Users
    Posts
    607
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF49*
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

    Northern Ireland England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevlos21 View Post
    Seeing as that sample was from 2 and a half years ago, is there any idea when it might be relased?
    Unfortunately, no idea. We've been waiting for ages, so hopefully not too much longer. "Hopefully" is the key word, though.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Mc For This Useful Post:

     Trevlos21 (06-10-2021),  Webb (06-09-2021)

  9. #295
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,418
    Sex
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>Z195>FGC23196
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a

    United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    I posted this several months back, but one of the Covesea samples from "The Beaker Phenomenon and the Genomic Transformation of Northwest Europe", by Olalde was originally called as P312, but Alex Williamson has since looked at the sample:

    "I was discussing the two Covesea, Scotland samples from around 900-800BCE as when the paper came out sample, I2859 was called as L21 and sample I2860 was called at P312. Recently all these samples with new calls were made for download at David Reich's Lab and in that release they were both listed as DF27. Alex Williamson looked at both samples and concluded that sample I2859 was L21 but sample I2860 is R-P312 > Z40481 > FGC84729 > ZZ37 > ZZ38 > Z30597."

    ZZ37 is a very small clade that is currently mostly found in Wales and Scotland, today. What is interesting as well, is that Z40481 is the parent snp of DF99, and ZZ11 and ZZ11 is the parent of DF27 and U152.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

     CopperAxe (06-09-2021),  David Mc (06-09-2021),  Dewsloth (06-10-2021),  JMcB (06-09-2021),  Ryukendo (06-09-2021)

  11. #296
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,402
    Sex
    Location
    Tierra de Ayllon
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z142>
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bt
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2a1b2a1b1>Y4925
    mtDNA (P)
    H37

    England Scotland Wales Germany Ireland Sweden Finns
    Quote Originally Posted by Webb View Post
    I posted this several months back, but one of the Covesea samples from "The Beaker Phenomenon and the Genomic Transformation of Northwest Europe", by Olalde was originally called as P312, but Alex Williamson has since looked at the sample:

    "I was discussing the two Covesea, Scotland samples from around 900-800BCE as when the paper came out sample, I2859 was called as L21 and sample I2860 was called at P312. Recently all these samples with new calls were made for download at David Reich's Lab and in that release they were both listed as DF27. Alex Williamson looked at both samples and concluded that sample I2859 was L21 but sample I2860 is R-P312 > Z40481 > FGC84729 > ZZ37 > ZZ38 > Z30597."

    ZZ37 is a very small clade that is currently mostly found in Wales and Scotland, today. What is interesting as well, is that Z40481 is the parent snp of DF99, and ZZ11 and ZZ11 is the parent of DF27 and U152.
    Looking at Alex Williamson’ Ytree.net, this would mean that Alex has found a mutation FGC84729, in between Z40481 and ZZ37.
    Y DNA line continued: Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    35% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German, 5% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French/Dutch, 1% India
    Hidden Content

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

     David Mc (06-10-2021),  Dewsloth (06-10-2021),  JMcB (06-10-2021),  Webb (06-09-2021)

  13. #297
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,418
    Sex
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>Z195>FGC23196
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a

    United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    Looking at Alex Williamson’ Ytree.net, this would mean that Alex has found a mutation FGC84729, in between Z40481 and ZZ37.
    Yes. It is also the parent of DF99. So technically DF99 and ZZ37 are siblings just like DF27 and U152 are. That is what makes this whole thing very hard to figure out. DF99 and ZZ37 are siblings, yet DF99 appears very Germanic and ZZ37 appears very Celtic. If you look through the P312 general threads you’ll find one about FGC84729, shortly after Alex discovered it. I think it was a tear or so ago. I think it largely went under the radar.
    Last edited by Webb; 06-10-2021 at 12:21 AM.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

     David Mc (06-10-2021),  JMcB (06-10-2021),  MitchellSince1893 (06-10-2021)

  15. #298
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,402
    Sex
    Location
    Tierra de Ayllon
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z142>
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bt
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2a1b2a1b1>Y4925
    mtDNA (P)
    H37

    England Scotland Wales Germany Ireland Sweden Finns
    Quote Originally Posted by Webb View Post
    ...That is what makes this whole thing very hard to figure out. DF99 and ZZ37 are siblings, yet DF99 appears very Germanic and ZZ37 appears very Celtic...
    Well this split is probably 1000 years prior to the appearance of pre Germanic and pre Italo-Celtic...2900 BC vs 1900 BC so a lot can happen in that time.
    Y DNA line continued: Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    35% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German, 5% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French/Dutch, 1% India
    Hidden Content

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

     Dewsloth (06-10-2021),  JMcB (06-10-2021),  peloponnesian (06-10-2021),  razyn (06-10-2021)

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Similar Threads

  1. Origin of the Gaels or Goidelic Celts
    By BillMC in forum Ancient (aDNA)
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-21-2020, 10:11 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-22-2019, 12:05 AM
  3. On the Nature of the Picts
    By JMcB in forum History (Medieval)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2017, 09:00 PM
  4. BBC Horizon: The First Britons
    By avalon in forum Archaeology (Prehistory)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 04:32 PM
  5. Horizon - First Britons.
    By JohnHowellsTyrfro in forum History (Ancient)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 06:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •