Thread: besides ancestry what does dna land give you

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romaniote & Ashkenazi

besides ancestry what does dna land give you

im want to use dna land because i see they have more breakdowns in populations than 23 and me but i worried what other information ill get. I dont want any health results at all. with my tendency to get anxious i do not want to know any of that i will start freaking out over what could be minor things.

i saw on dnaland website they give traits. What type of traits? can someone who has already done dnaland tell me what information they got

thank you in advance

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SlytherclawRavenpuff For This Useful Post:

kingjohn (02-11-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    karius the black hair
    Nationality
    east med

Quote Originally Posted by LaurZaf View Post
    im want to use dna land because i see they have more breakdowns in populations than 23 and me but i worried what other information ill get. I dont want any health results at all. with my tendency to get anxious i do not want to know any of that i will start freaking out over what could be minor things.

i saw on dnaland website they give traits. What type of traits? can someone who has already done dnaland tell me what information they got

thank you in advance
    this what you will get ancestery
    i don't care about disease and traits so i focus on the dna
    this is how my report look ;
    as and example

Untitled.png

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    karius the black hair
    Nationality
    east med

and by the way you can always erase your account
    with them
    Last edited by kingjohn; 02-11-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romaniote & Ashkenazi

on the reports page do you have to click a link to see the traits or do they just show it

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    karius the black hair
    Nationality
    east med

on the reports page do you have to click a link to see the traits or do they just show it
    you have to press on the view button

Name Status
    Ancestry Report view
    Find Relatives view
    Find Relatives of Relatives view
    Trait Prediction Report view you have to press on the view button to see your trait if i am not wrong

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kingjohn For This Useful Post:

SlytherclawRavenpuff (02-11-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF27 -> FGC34856
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

Ireland Ukraine England France Canada

thank you in advance
    DNA.land gives you 3 things: ethnicity estimate, DNA matches and relatives, and some wellness and physical traits. These include Circadian Rhythm, Caffeine metabolism, Educational Attainment, Intelligence, Neuroticism, eye colour, height, and near-sightedness.

In my opinion: the ethnicity estimates are OK, but you'll get the same on geneplaza.com and gencove.com - all are the same calculator written by Joe Pickrell on DNA.land. the guys at geneplaza said that Joe's calculator there uses an updated reference panel, so ethnicity estimation is not a driving reason to join DNA.land except for sheer interest.

The relative finder is useless. The database is exceedingly small and you'll likely get one one or two distant relatives there. I've had the same two matches at DNA.land for nearly 2 years now that I've been a member, and both are distant cousins.

The physical and wellness traits are interesting, but are like candy - sweet and satisfying initially, but you'll forget about them soon afterwards. E.g. really I don't care that I metabolize caffeine faster than others and am likely addicted to coffee - I knew that already!

The only reason to participate IMO is to help them with your DNA in their search for breast cancer causes and cures. Thats why I am on there really. If thats not your thing then I'd just upload to gencove instead. Better (but questionable on these forums?) ethnicity estimates.
    Paper trail ancestry:
    Mum = 50% Irish, 37.5% Ukrainian, 12.5% Romanian
    Dad = 43.75% French-Canadian, 6.25% Irish, 50% English (25% Essex and 25% Northumberland)
    Big Y 500 = R M269 -> DF27 -> Z195 -> FGC34865 (Western France; ~500 ybp)
    mtDNA = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd, Anderson, Bedford, Joncas, Basaraba

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fostert For This Useful Post:

Devilfish86 (02-25-2018),  SlytherclawRavenpuff (02-12-2018)