Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone help me get to the bottom of this(South Asian Muslim)?

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    Quote Originally Posted by kush View Post
    Welcome to the forum!! You probably do have some mixture actually, but as bmoney mentioned its almost negligible.. Your caucasian is 7.5 and there's slight euro. most hyderabadi muslims tend to have higer caucasian than their hindu counterparts through a mixture of iranian/arab. its not much though but i can tell its there since most indians do not get any african on harappa, and you have decent mediterranean as well. You also get 2.3% west asian on dna.land, which wouldn't be there if you didn't have slight mixture. Also what do your oracles show on harappaworld? It should show certain percentage middle eastern mixture on there. Btw I'm also from around hyderabad, I'm telugu hindu though.

These are my harappa results

# Population Percent
    1 S-Indian 53.7
    2 Baloch 37.19
    3 Caucasian 4.32
    4 NE-Asian 1.52
    5 SE-Asian 1.2
    6 SW-Asian 1.1
    7 Papuan 0.45
    8 American 0.4
    9 Mediterranean 0.12
    Thanks, and interesting. I always wondered how Hindus from Hyderabad stacked up against Muslims. I put the Oracle values up by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    Your SW Asian levels are too low - this component is one of the main Middle-East indicators

The Mediterranean component might be an indicator of non-Indian ancestry, but Im pretty sure ive seen it in non-Muslim Indians too

As Kush said could you post your oracles?
    I managed to get them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Varun R View Post
    I'm really not seeing anything either, but others are more knowledgeable than me. It would be helpful to list a kit number and note the segments on which 23andMe is assigning you MENA/ SSA.
    My kit is M540961. Is this what you are looking for?

Middle Eastern,2,chr2,34289199,67966042
    Middle Eastern & North African,2,chr2,34289199,67966042
    Central & South African,2,chr2,25532969,33297967
    Sub-Saharan African,2,chr2,25532969,33931617
    Sub-Saharan African,2,chr15,98343538,101445815

Those are the genomic coordinates taken from the 23andme website at 50% confidence.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

bmoney (02-12-2018),  kush (02-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M30
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-L295

Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    Thanks, and interesting. I always wondered how Hindus from Hyderabad stacked up against Muslims. I put the Oracle values up by the way.

I managed to get them up.

Those are the genomic coordinates taken from the 23andme website at 50% confidence.
    Nice, as @passion said you seem to get a modern Caucasian contributor pop possibly due to your med scores

This is extremely low oracle distance so is precise, so yes its possibly you have minor recent Caucasian ancestry

# Primary Population (source) Secondary Population (source) Distance
    1 91.3% karnataka (harappa) + 8.7% chechen (yunusbayev) 1.09

A final note, were you tested on 23andme v5?

I did v5 and noticed that due to low SNP overlap with these calcs that run better with v4, it overemphasises the minor ancestry present in parts of your genome
    Last edited by bmoney; 02-12-2018 at 05:09 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bmoney For This Useful Post:

Censored (02-12-2018),  kush (02-12-2018),  misanthropy (02-12-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

I did the test back in March when the v5 feature was not available. Not sure how that influences the results I got from the raw data. Either way, I am somewhat suspicious of the Caucasus ancestry but it also makes sense in some ways. A lot of people in my family retain very light skin even after generations of marrying out, which makes sense given how light people from that region are. It also makes sense that historical records would be lost since no one in India knows about the Caucasus region, so why bother maintaining it.

Other calculators besides Harappa do not show this. Plus 23andme only shows .6% Middle Eastern and no European. How does this all jive together.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    See this is the thing though, what if someone is a mix of mostly low caste and some Afghan/Central Asian? Wouldn’t that just be indistinguishable from a South Indian middle or high caste?
    Let's say you're diluted out of ancestry XYZ by 5 generations or so by now: Autosomally, most hints are gone (but there could be a few). You can mitigate this dilution by testing parents or grandparents who would be considerably closer to said ancestor. Let's say you are have a claimed Afghan ancestor via your paternal lineage -- well your father is considerable closer to that autosomally than you, and his trace percentages may reflect this. If your browse around and see my grandparents or parents results, you'll see this case pretty vividly. None of my relatives score similar to each other, except my siblings and I. My grandmother scores like Kho/Tajik/Pashtun, my mother like a Burusho, my father like a Pathan and I like a Jatt or Kashmiri (of course these vary, but I'm just illustrating the point). Which brings us to the question you raise...

Yes, you could score like X Indian population if you were a mix between 2 divergent ones... So let's play your scenario out. My general rule-of-thumb for likely event of first admixture event for most people in the region is 5-7 generations ago. As 7-12 generations ago is when most stories align for a move from one place to another, and it's a reasonable assumption that for the first few generations, marriages were within the same ethnicity.

Gen 1 = Afghan Forefather + Hyderabadi Deccan Muslim = Person 1: results something like a Sindhi
    Gen 2 = Person 1 + Hyderabadi Muslim = Person 2: results something like a Jatt
    Gen 3 = Person 2 + Hyderabadi Muslim = Person 3: results something like a non-Jatt Punjabi with Eastern shift
    Gen 4 = Person 3 + Hyderabadi Muslim = Person 4: results something like a UP/Bihari Muslim
    Gen 5 = Person 4 + Hyderabadi Muslim = "Me": results b/w a North Indian Muslim and a Hyderabadi Muslim

This is all just guesstimates and of course all of this is predicated on what a "Hyderabadi Muslim" is exactly in terms of results/scores/clusters ... or to be more specific, what they were X generations ago. That's a whole other can of worms. The point isn't so much accuracy here, but to show that a distant ancestor effects autosomal scores many generations out. This is magnified in your case where the non-local Ancestor and the local Ancestors are of very divergent autosomal makeups.

The point of this exercise is to show, that even after 3/4 generations, the person can't show up as an entirely local populace, autosomally. They can show up as some intermediate population, successively getting closer to the local population with each generation. Probably by the 6th generation, all trace of the ancestor is lost, autosomally. So perhaps you are 6-7x removed; but your grandparents or parents would be 4-5x removed and should still show a pull away from Hyderabad towards a western populace. Considering the historical record, most South Asians have some member of their family still within the 5-gen threshold to see a clear pull towards a non-localized ancestor. So this is one method to sort things out.

Next, let's say you are 8-10 generations removed and all hope of seeing things autosomally, even in your eldest family members, is lost. It is likely the non-local ancestor is paternal (this is usually the case), and thus, the basis of one's y-DNA lineage. Even though lots of SAs are R1a1a, they are not in the same subclades of it. Specifically, in your case, Afghan R1a1a trends towards the slightly older subclades. The issue is, most SAs/SCAs with R1a1a have not tested the their y-DNA this deeply, so it's hard to make general statements about the distributions. Nonetheless, knowing your terminal y-SNP, will become very useful, even if at the time you test, your subclade is not well understood.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

bmoney (02-12-2018),  Censored (02-12-2018),  kush (02-12-2018),  misanthropy (02-12-2018),  MonkeyDLuffy (02-12-2018),  Onur Dincer (02-14-2018),  Sapporo (02-12-2018),  spicyshuwa&empanadas (11-08-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    Let's say you're diluted out of ancestry XYZ by 5 generations or so by now: Autosomally, most hints are gone (but there could be a few). You can mitigate this dilution by testing parents or grandparents who would be considerably closer to said ancestor. Let's say you are have a claimed Afghan ancestor via your paternal lineage -- well your father is considerable closer to that autosomally than you, and his trace percentages may reflect this. If your browse around and see my grandparents or parents results, you'll see this case pretty vividly. None of my relatives score similar to each other, except my siblings and I. My grandmother scores like Kho/Tajik/Pashtun, my mother like a Burusho, my father like a Pathan and I like a Jatt or Kashmiri (of course these vary, but I'm just illustrating the point). Which brings us to the question you raise...

Yes, you could score like X Indian population if you were a mix between 2 divergent ones... So let's play your scenario out. My general rule-of-thumb for likely event of first admixture event for most people in the region is 5-7 generations ago. As 7-12 generations ago is when most stories align for a move from one place to another, and it's a reasonable assumption that for the first few generations, marriages were within the same ethnicity.

Gen 1 = Afghan Forefather + Hyderabadi Deccan Muslim = Person 1: results something like a Sindhi
    Gen 2 = Person 1 + Hyderabadi Muslim = Person 2: results something like a Jatt
    Gen 3 = Person 2 + Hyderabadi Muslim = Person 3: results something like a non-Jatt Punjabi with Eastern shift
    Gen 4 = Person 3 + Hyderabadi Muslim = Person 4: results something like a UP/Bihari Muslim
    Gen 5 = Person 4 + Hyderabadi Muslim = "Me": results b/w a North Indian Muslim and a Hyderabadi Muslim

This is all just guesstimates and of course all of this is predicated on what a "Hyderabadi Muslim" is exactly in terms of results/scores/clusters ... or to be more specific, what they were X generations ago. That's a whole other can of worms. The point isn't so much accuracy here, but to show that a distant ancestor effects autosomal scores many generations out. This is magnified in your case where the non-local Ancestor and the local Ancestors are of very divergent autosomal makeups.

The point of this exercise is to show, that even after 3/4 generations, the person can't show up as an entirely local populace, autosomally. They can show up as some intermediate population, successively getting closer to the local population with each generation. Probably by the 6th generation, all trace of the ancestor is lost, autosomally. So perhaps you are 6-7x removed; but your grandparents or parents would be 4-5x removed and should still show a pull away from Hyderabad towards a western populace. Considering the historical record, most South Asians have some member of their family still within the 5-gen threshold to see a clear pull towards a non-localized ancestor. So this is one method to sort things out.

Next, let's say you are 8-10 generations removed and all hope of seeing things autosomally, even in your eldest family members, is lost. It is likely the non-local ancestor is paternal (this is usually the case), and thus, the basis of one's y-DNA lineage. Even though lots of SAs are R1a1a, they are not in the same subclades of it. Specifically, in your case, Afghan R1a1a trends towards the slightly older subclades. The issue is, most SAs/SCAs with R1a1a have not tested the their y-DNA this deeply, so it's hard to make general statements about the distributions. Nonetheless, knowing your terminal y-SNP, will become very useful, even if at the time you test, your subclade is not well understood.
    Yes, I don't know what percentage foreign ancestry my grandfather had-if we're talking Pashtun then it is extremely unlikely he was a full blooded Pathan. His family seems to be heterogenous and I wouldn't be surprised if there were huge variations in ethnic composition, like anything from 10-90% local. Another thing is, there's a good chance that my mom has a low caste background like most Muslim converts, and possibly even a tribal/Austroloid ancestry like the Bhil(considering facial features). If that is actually the case then the Indian component would be exaggerated for the region I'm from. Both of these factors together could obscure whatever foreign ancestry there is, especially if it's from within South Asia.

I would like to get older generations or more distant paternal family members tested but this is very difficult as no one has any interest in this topic besides me. Is there a way to get my deep clade of R1a1a1 determined without ordering a new kit?

Further, what do you think of what bmoney said, which is that I might have a recent ancestor from the Caucasus?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Yes, I don't know what percentage foreign ancestry my grandfather had-if we're talking Pashtun then it is extremely unlikely he was a full blooded Pathan. His family seems to be heterogenous and I wouldn't be surprised if there were huge variations in ethnic composition, like anything from 10-90% local. Another thing is, there's a good chance that my mom has a low caste background like most Muslim converts, and possibly even a tribal/Austroloid ancestry like the Bhil(considering facial features). If that is actually the case then the Indian component would be exaggerated for the region I'm from. Both of these factors together could obscure whatever foreign ancestry there is, especially if it's from within South Asia.

I would like to get older generations or more distant paternal family members tested but this is very difficult as no one has any interest in this topic besides me. Is there a way to get my deep clade of R1a1a1 determined without ordering a new kit?

Further, what do you think of what bmoney said, which is that I might have a recent ancestor from the Caucasus?
    What's your family history regarding any non-local heritage? Any tribal names? Oral history of a city moved from/to, the era, any unique occupations -- service to a ruler, soldier? Etc. If your grandfather was mixed, one of your forefathers eventually married locally, that's a given -- doesn't erase that still at some point one of his forefathers wasn't. First goal is to establish/estimate how many generations removed you are from the unadmixed ancestor. Knowing that helps put your oracles/scores into perspective.

A method I use once I know the best guess of generations from X Ancestor and amount of contributions from all other known non-local marriages/mixes is to assign you hard percentages of ancestry. ie. 0.0625 Afghan Pashtun + 0.1875 UP Muslim + 0.75 AP Muslim. Then I'll take the average of each of these populations and do the math and see how close your actual results are to the theoretical results. If Afghan Pashtun doesn't work, I'll try Afghan Tajik, then Pakistani Pashtun, Iranian, Baloch, Brahui etc... Basically, solve for X.

In your case, you are pretty sure maternal side is Marathi or of an ethnicity in the region, so that's 50% we can assign comfortably and use it as a baseline.

I don't agree that a recent Caucasus ancestor is likely, because the combination assumes you are 90-some% AP-Hyderbadi Muslim + some Caucasian ... however, you are at least 50% Marathi + X% Hyderabadi + Y% Unknown(s)

So in Harappa I just quickly made you a mix of 50% Marathi and 50% Hyderabadi to see the theoretical difference from the actual score:

Population
    S-Indian Baloch Caucasian NE-Euro SE-Asian Siberian NE-Asian
    Papuan
    American
    Beringian Mediterranean SW-Asian San
    E-African
    Pygmy W-African
    Censored 49.8 32.77 7.44 2.7 1.49 0.08 0.73 1.32 0.82 0.69 1.18 0.46 0 0.41 0.09 0
    ap-hyderabad 51.98 31.89 6.59 2.25 0.98 1.4 1.13 0.4 0.9 0.19 1 1.21 0 0 0.08 0
    andhra-pradesh 54.2 32.42 3.73 1.65 1.33 0.91 0.72 0.84 0.57 0.97 0.65 1.68 0.2 0.05 0.09 0
    maharashtrian 46.03 35.82 5.38 5.57 0.62 0.85 0.98 0.9 0.67 0.95 0.92 0.99 0.14 0.1 0.08 0
    Population
    S-Indian Baloch Caucasian NE-Euro SE-Asian Siberian NE-Asian Papuan American Beringian Mediterranean SW-Asian San E-African Pygmy W-African
    50% Marathi 23.015 17.91 2.69 2.785 0.31 0.425 0.49 0.45 0.335 0.475 0.46 0.495 0.07 0.05 0.04 0
    50% Hyderabadi 25.99 15.945 3.295 1.125 0.49 0.7 0.565 0.2 0.45 0.095 0.5 0.605 0 0 0.04 0
    Theorhetical Mix
    49.005 33.855 5.985 3.91 0.8 1.125 1.055 0.65 0.785 0.57 0.96 1.1 0.07 0.05 0.08 0
    Actual
    49.8 32.77 7.44 2.7 1.49 0.08 0.73 1.32 0.82 0.69
    0.46 0 0.41 0.09
    Difference
    -1.21 0.69 -1.045
    -0.325 0.67 0.035
    0.12 0.22 -0.64
    -0.07 0.36
    0.01 0

About 1.5% more Caucasian than you should be and 1.1% less Baloch -- pretty interchangeable. Since your Marathi side may have a more tribal affiliation, the ~1% ea. lower NE Euro and Siberian scores coupled with the slightly higher SE Asian, Papuan etc, is very plausible. Furthermore, I'd propose your slightly elevated/lower scores in certain components maybe much more easily explained from your Marathi side. An ancestor could be involved in the Marathi Empire's conquests and may have taken a bride from further West like Sindh or Gujurat. This will explain your low Steppe/Euro in most calcs, affinity for E African pops, slightly higher affinity for Med.

I'll have to look into your scores on more recent calcs though before giving a full opinion.
    But at least via Harappa, you are pretty close to a straight 50/50 mix by the math.
    My guess would be any unknown ancestry is more likely to be from between Balochistan-Sindh-Kutch-Gujurat region, if there is one. Which is more likely, depends on the WHEN and the WHO (ie. which side of your family they mixed with), than the raw numbers themselves.

Sidenote: I only looked at you on Harappa... oracle results and averages on other calcs may look very different and so take all of the above as a tentative path to explore, just a 1st step to build off from.

Also, your goal is to see if there is foreign ancestry in your Hyderabadi side, since you are only half of it, it won't be easy to find in you (or with just your result alone). You need to test your father, a paternal uncle or aunt, etc. Someone less mixed than you that's "always been from Hyderabad" according to the family.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 02-12-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

misanthropy (04-17-2020),  Onur Dincer (02-14-2018),  Sapporo (02-12-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    What's your family history regarding any non-local heritage? Any tribal names? Oral history of a city moved from/to, the era, any unique occupations -- service to a ruler, soldier? Etc. If your grandfather was mixed, one of your forefathers eventually married locally, that's a given -- doesn't erase that still at some point one of his forefathers wasn't. First goal is to establish/estimate how many generations removed you are from the unadmixed ancestor. Knowing that helps put your oracles/scores into perspective.

A method I use once I know the best guess of generations from X Ancestor and amount of contributions from all other known non-local marriages/mixes is to assign you hard percentages of ancestry. ie. 0.0625 Afghan Pashtun + 0.1875 UP Muslim + 0.75 AP Muslim. Then I'll take the average of each of these populations and do the math and see how close your actual results are to the theoretical results. If Afghan Pashtun doesn't work, I'll try Afghan Tajik, then Pakistani Pashtun, Iranian, Baloch, Brahui etc... Basically, solve for X.

In your case, you are pretty sure maternal side is Marathi or of an ethnicity in the region, so that's 50% we can assign comfortably and use it as a baseline.

I don't agree that a recent Caucasus ancestor is likely, because the combination assumes you are 90-some% AP-Hyderbadi Muslim + some Caucasian ... however, you are at least 50% Marathi + X% Hyderabadi + Y% Unknown(s)

So in Harappa I just quickly made you a mix of 50% Marathi and 50% Hyderabadi to see the theoretical difference from the actual score:

Population
    S-Indian Baloch Caucasian NE-Euro SE-Asian Siberian NE-Asian
    Papuan
    American
    Beringian Mediterranean SW-Asian San
    E-African
    Pygmy W-African
    Censored 49.8 32.77 7.44 2.7 1.49 0.08 0.73 1.32 0.82 0.69 1.18 0.46 0 0.41 0.09 0
    ap-hyderabad 51.98 31.89 6.59 2.25 0.98 1.4 1.13 0.4 0.9 0.19 1 1.21 0 0 0.08 0
    andhra-pradesh 54.2 32.42 3.73 1.65 1.33 0.91 0.72 0.84 0.57 0.97 0.65 1.68 0.2 0.05 0.09 0
    maharashtrian 46.03 35.82 5.38 5.57 0.62 0.85 0.98 0.9 0.67 0.95 0.92 0.99 0.14 0.1 0.08 0
    Population
    S-Indian Baloch Caucasian NE-Euro SE-Asian Siberian NE-Asian Papuan American Beringian Mediterranean SW-Asian San E-African Pygmy W-African
    50% Marathi 23.015 17.91 2.69 2.785 0.31 0.425 0.49 0.45 0.335 0.475 0.46 0.495 0.07 0.05 0.04 0
    50% Hyderabadi 25.99 15.945 3.295 1.125 0.49 0.7 0.565 0.2 0.45 0.095 0.5 0.605 0 0 0.04 0
    Theorhetical Mix
    49.005 33.855 5.985 3.91 0.8 1.125 1.055 0.65 0.785 0.57 0.96 1.1 0.07 0.05 0.08 0
    Actual
    49.8 32.77 7.44 2.7 1.49 0.08 0.73 1.32 0.82 0.69
    0.46 0 0.41 0.09
    Difference
    -1.21 0.69 -1.045
    -0.325 0.67 0.035
    0.12 0.22 -0.64
    -0.07 0.36
    0.01 0

About 1.5% more Caucasian than you should be and 1.1% less Baloch -- pretty interchangeable. Since your Marathi side may have a more tribal affiliation, the ~1% ea. lower NE Euro and Siberian scores coupled with the slightly higher SE Asian, Papuan etc, is very plausible. Furthermore, I'd propose your slightly elevated/lower scores in certain components maybe much more easily explained from your Marathi side. An ancestor could be involved in the Marathi Empire's conquests and may have taken a bride from further West like Sindh or Gujurat. This will explain your low Steppe/Euro in most calcs, affinity for E African pops, slightly higher affinity for Med.

I'll have to look into your scores on more recent calcs though before giving a full opinion.
    But at least via Harappa, you are pretty close to a straight 50/50 mix by the math.
    My guess would be any unknown ancestry is more likely to be from between Balochistan-Sindh-Kutch-Gujurat region, if there is one. Which is more likely, depends on the WHEN and the WHO (ie. which side of your family they mixed with), than the raw numbers themselves.

Sidenote: I only looked at you on Harappa... oracle results and averages on other calcs may look very different and so take all of the above as a tentative path to explore, just a 1st step to build off from.
    Unfortunately there's very little in the way of family history regarding this topic, strangely enough. As I've said before, I've heard rumors from my dad's dad's side about Afghanistan but then again my dad has mentioned every country under the sun from Egypt to Saudi Arabia and Armenia. That was one of my motivations to get the testing done in the first place-to get pick up info where genealogy failed.
    Interesting, a while ago I was actually planning on doing something very similar to what you did here which is make a combo of Hyderabad and Maharashtra in order to tease out any possible clues about my dad's ancestry, but the issue was I didn't know how well my mother fit into the Marathi ideal. Do you know who was tested for Maharashtra? Were they Brahmin? There's no indication that my mom is upper caste. To really be certain, we'd need both my mother and father to give samples and see how they stack up against their respective regions as well as how much of each genetic grouping they contributed to me, and ideally some of my extended family, but I'm not in any position to do that sadly.

I am extremely hesitant to assign any non-local ancestry to my mom rather than my dad for the simple reason that it's far, far more likely that it is my dad who has it. I understand that looks are not always a great indication and also that there's a lot of phenotypic diversity in India but hear me out, there's no way that my father's paternal relatives are fully local to India. I wish it were as simple as saying "well, we're all just Indian, nothing to see here" but honestly it'd be very ignorant of me. I can pm you pics of his relatives if you want so you can see for yourself.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (02-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA (M)
    A8a

Unfortunately there's very little in the way of family history regarding this topic, strangely enough. As I've said before, I've heard rumors from my dad's dad's side about Afghanistan but then again my dad has mentioned every country under the sun from Egypt to Saudi Arabia and Armenia. That was one of my motivations to get the testing done in the first place-to get pick up info where genealogy failed.
    Interesting, a while ago I was actually planning on doing something very similar to what you did here which is make a combo of Hyderabad and Maharashtra in order to tease out any possible clues about my dad's ancestry, but the issue was I didn't know how well my mother fit into the Marathi ideal. Do you know who was tested for Maharashtra? Were they Brahmin? There's no indication that my mom is upper caste. To really be certain, we'd need both my mother and father to give samples and see how they stack up against their respective regions as well as how much of each genetic grouping they contributed to me, and ideally some of my extended family, but I'm not in any position to do that sadly.

I am extremely hesitant to assign any non-local ancestry to my mom rather than my dad for the simple reason that it's far, far more likely that it is my dad who has it. I understand that looks are not always a great indication and also that there's a lot of phenotypic diversity in India but hear me out, there's no way that my father's paternal relatives are fully local to India. I wish it were as simple as saying "well, we're all just Indian, nothing to see here" but honestly it'd be very ignorant of me. I can pm you pics of his relatives if you want so you can see for yourself.
    Do you have a 1st/2nd cousin from your Father's side whose parents are both from the same family? (ie. your cousin's parents are related). That way you can get a gist of what your Father's side is like without testing an elder. You can do the same for your Mother's side as well. Find a cousin less mixed than you from each side, this is the next best option.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M30
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-L295

The Maharashtrian Harappa sample is Brahmin so might be atypical for Marathis. Inland Vidarbha Marathis would differ even further from Brahmins

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bmoney For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (12-08-2018),  Censored (02-12-2018),  khanabadoshi (02-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post
    looking at your results Turkic admixture from Central Asia is more likely than MENA mix
    Fail to see any obvious sign of mix in his results. I won't take the oracles that much seriously either tbh since I get 10%~ Kavkaz region which is very unlikely:

1 88.4% up-brahmin (harappa) + 11.6% lezgin (behar) @ 1.99
    2 88.1% up-brahmin (harappa) + 11.9% urkarah (xing) @ 2.06
    3 89.2% up-brahmin (harappa) + 10.8% chechen (yunusbayev) @ 2.12
    4 88.9% up-brahmin (harappa) + 11.1% kumyk (yunusbayev) @ 2.27
    5 90.1% up-brahmin (harappa) + 9.9% north-ossetian (yunusbayev) @ 2.36
    6 90.1% up-brahmin (harappa) + 9.9% adygei (hgdp) @ 2.38
    7 90% up-brahmin (harappa) + 10% balkar (yunusbayev) @ 2.43
    8 88.1% up-brahmin (harappa) + 11.9% stalskoe (xing) @ 2.45
    9 54.5% punjabi-khatri (harappa) + 45.5% brahmin-uttar-pradesh (metspalu) @ 2.49
    10 84.8% brahmin-uttar-pradesh (metspalu) + 15.2% lezgin (behar) @ 2.64
    11 67.4% brahmin-uttar-pradesh (metspalu) + 32.6% pashtun (harappa) @ 2.68
    12 74.7% up-brahmin (harappa) + 25.3% pashtun (harappa) @ 2.69
    13 54.4% up-brahmin (harappa) + 45.6% punjabi-khatri (harappa) @ 2.72
    14 91% up-brahmin (harappa) + 9% georgian (harappa) @ 2.74
    15 91.6% up-brahmin (harappa) + 8.4% abhkasian (yunusbayev) @ 2.75
    16 84.4% brahmin-uttar-pradesh (metspalu) + 15.6% urkarah (xing) @ 2.75
    17 92% up-brahmin (harappa) + 8% georgian (behar) @ 2.85
    18 61.1% punjabi-khatri (harappa) + 38.9% vaish (reich) @ 2.93
    19 80.1% gujarati-b (hapmap) + 19.9% urkarah (xing) @ 2.94
    20 60.1% brahmin-uttar-pradesh (metspalu) + 39.9% pathan (hgdp) @ 2.97

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

bmoney (02-12-2018),  khanabadoshi (02-14-2018),  passion (02-12-2018)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast