Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The peopling of the last Green Sahara revealed by high-coverage resequencing of trans

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I2-S2361 < L801
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b(1)
    mtDNA (P)
    H3

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by NetNomad View Post
    The Arabian Peninsula should be viewed as ''North Africa'' when it comes to human genetics.
    This is biogeographically accurate. South Arabia is part of the Afrotropics, and the Saharo-Arabian desert belt can be considered as one macro-region also. So yeah, Arabia is the part of North Africa which borders on Iran and India.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Megalophias For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-22-2018),  Awale (11-21-2018),  DMXX (11-21-2018),  NetNomad (11-22-2018),  pgbk87 (11-29-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    N1a

Somalia Ethiopia Eritrea Djibouti
    The Arabian Peninsula should be viewed as ''North Africa'' when it comes to human genetics. 23andMe were on to something when they lumped them with Berbers.
    Honestly, they're pretty similar to Egyptians, namely Copts. The main basal difference, from what I remember, being that Copts have more of an Anatolian-Farmer/Dzudzuana shift while Arabians have more of a CHG/Iran-N shift which makes sense geographically, I suppose. Discounting some outlier groups (more significant than you'd think in the peninsula) who have more recent outside admixtures, I'd personally say you could cluster Arabians, Egyptians and Southern Levantines together as a sort of biogeographic group.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Awale For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-22-2018),  bmoney (12-01-2018),  DMXX (11-21-2018),  drobbah (11-22-2018),  Lank (11-21-2018),  Megalophias (11-22-2018),  NetNomad (11-22-2018),  notasuckah (11-24-2018),  pgbk87 (11-29-2018),  Ruderico (11-22-2018),  Targum (11-22-2018)

I'd wager that Copts have the same amount of Iran_N-related ancestry as Arabians, more or less. The basic difference would be that they would have less Natufian-related and much more Anatolian-related ancestry. I don't know how that would be reflected in terms of Dzudzuana ancestry though. But yes, Copts and Arabians are very similar nonetheless. They could constitute a biogeographical group as you guys proposed.

Looking at Yemenite Jews, they have less Natufian, more Iran_N and Anatolia_N in comparison to Saudis. I'm thinking Copts are something like this just with lower Iran_N relative to Yemenite Jews (same as Saudis more or less), and more Anatolia_N.

But yes this would depend on what Arabian group you're looking at as it has been pointed out that the Arabian Peninsula is very diverse genetically (lots of Arabians are heavily admixed with foreign groups).
    Last edited by notasuckah; 11-24-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telgu/marathi

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    I apologize that I'm sort of late to the party, but can someone explain who the west eurasian ancestors of Berbers and horner Africans are? I read somewhere that they weren't part of the neolithic expansion and came before it or something along those lines...

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    I apologize that I'm sort of late to the party, but can someone explain who the west eurasian ancestors of Berbers and horner Africans are? I read somewhere that they weren't part of the neolithic expansion and came before it or something along those lines...
    From what I gather:

For Berbers, it is a combination of Late Paleolithic/Neolithic South Levantine (still a debate/uncertainty whether it is that or just Ancestral North African) and Anatolian Neolithic farmers who went to Southern Europe and then entered the Maghreb via the Strait of Gibraltar (pre-Indo-European).

For Horners, it is the first group without the latter.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetNomad For This Useful Post:

bmoney (12-01-2018),  Censored (11-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Lank View Post
    BTW, for any Africans interested in getting sequenced, Dante Labs have a promotion until Nov 26th offering WGS 30x sequencing for just $199/€169 (free worldwide shipping). They've had some issues with delays in the past, but this is still a great deal.
    Hi Lank,

Did you order this? If so, how long until the results. I hear it takes months with Dante.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-FGC14388
    mtDNA (M)
    T1

Hi Lank,

Did you order this? If so, how long until the results. I hear it takes months with Dante.
    I don't know when they will be ready. Honestly don't think anyone should go for Dante if you want results on time, but I was never in a rush to get sequenced anyway so I don't mind the wait.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lank For This Useful Post:

NetNomad (02-16-2019)

Sex

From what I gather:

For Berbers, it is a combination of Late Paleolithic/Neolithic South Levantine (still a debate/uncertainty whether it is that or just Ancestral North African) and Anatolian Neolithic farmers who went to Southern Europe and then entered the Maghreb via the Strait of Gibraltar (pre-Indo-European).

For Horners, it is the first group without the latter.
    what about the African ancestry in Horn Africa Like Dinka?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234