Thread: MyHeritage good for Native American percentages?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA

United States of America Italy Sicily Poland Spain England

MyHeritage good for Native American percentages?

My wife took a test at Ancestry and no Native American DNA showed up at all despite her grandmother telling her they were part Cherokee. You know how the story goes. Well anyways I uploaded her ancestry raw data file to MyHeritage and sure enough she got 1.8% Native American. Think it's noise? Or the real deal?

I am skeptical with MyHeritage. They were pretty different results for me as well. Anyways not sure which one is more accurate.

Thanks

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland France
    I have found Ancestry to be more reliable in my family for Native American than MyHeritage, but MyHeritage still gave us the same consistent amounts - little difference for us. I think I remember seeing both MyHeritage and FTDNA MyOrigins giving Native American percentages to British people, while Ancestry seems less inclined to do that. IMO run her data through Eurogenes K36 on GEDmatch - that seems to have an excellent Amerindian component calculator.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, Unknown or mixed Eastern European (Polish speaking) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JJBoogie (02-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    I have found Ancestry to be more reliable in my family for Native American than MyHeritage, but MyHeritage still gave us the same consistent amounts - little difference for us. I think I remember seeing both MyHeritage and FTDNA MyOrigins giving Native American percentages to British people, while Ancestry seems less inclined to do that. IMO run her data through Eurogenes K36 on GEDmatch - that seems to have an excellent Amerindian component calculator.
    Eurogenese K36 gave her .83% Amerindian. Not sure if that is noise or a little something something. :-)

Normally I would care about such a small percentage but things got a little heated last time she went home to visit her relatives and she told them all that she had zero Native American DNA. LOL!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland France
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBoogie View Post
    Eurogenese K36 gave her .83% Amerindian. Not sure if that is noise or a little something something. :-)

Normally I would care about such a small percentage but things got a little heated last time she went home to visit her relatives and she told them all that she had zero Native American DNA. LOL!
    I think she's got a little tiny bit of real Native American DNA then
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, Unknown or mixed Eastern European (Polish speaking) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multiracial
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a1a2a1a
    mtDNA
    U4c1

My MH Native American percentage is close to that on 23andme, which is said to have the best autosomal ancestry test out there. I don't use AncestryDNA so I can't say anything about it. But in any case, there are other companies that will test your DNA for free - DNA.land and WeGene, for example. Maybe she should upload there - the more results she has, the safer will be the conclusion, I suppose. All of my results have been close to one another, with the biggest gap between any of two tests being 0.72%. However, I seem to have more NA than your wife (I'm in the 6-8% range), so maybe it is easier to receive close results across tests the further away from zero you are.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rafe For This Useful Post:

JJBoogie (02-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by JJBoogie View Post

Just something to bear in mind. My Irish dad gets 1% South American with FTDNA. On Eurogenes K36 he gets 1.22 Amerindian. I highly doubt that this is indicative of Native American ancestry for my dad.

Edit: Not having Native American DNA also doesn't rule out the possibility that your wife has a Native American ancestor. She just may not have inherited that DNA but the results don't seem to confirm it. Although there does seem to be lots of stories of native ancestors so it's hard to know.
    Last edited by FionnSneachta; 02-14-2018 at 01:04 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

JJBoogie (02-14-2018), msmarjoribanks (Yesterday)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    Just something to bear in mind. My Irish dad gets 1% South American with FTDNA. On Eurogenes K36 he gets 1.22 Amerindian. I highly doubt that this is indicative of Native American ancestry for my dad.

Edit: Not having Native American DNA also doesn't rule out the possibility that your wife has a Native American ancestor. She just may not have inherited that DNA but the results don't seem to confirm it. Although there does seem to be lots of stories of native ancestors so it's hard to know.
    True true! Her dad's family tree goes back a long time here in the U.S. and they were poor hillbillies living in a Cherokee area so it's certainly believable. Anyways I appreciate all the input here.

Registered Users
    Sex

Ukraine Latvia France
    1.8% could mean a distant ancestor or nothing at all.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geborgenheit For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (Yesterday), JJBoogie (Today)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 -> CTS4065
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

Ireland Ukraine England France Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post

I also get a miniscule NA percentage (0.5%) in K36, however no-where else do I register any NA (and I have taken all the major DNA tests out there, including 23, Ancestry, MH, FTDNA, Living, GENCOVE, DNA.Land, etc). As well I can't find any NA in my paper tree, which goes back to Ukraine, Ireland, England, and France. So, I have learned to be extremely wary of small percentages (<5%) in these tests. I am very certain that anything under 1% is "noise" (i.e. unrepeatable).

That being said, though, all these companies test only a small part of the whole genome, so if I do have NA DNA, it may be on sections of my genome that are not covered by these targeted SNP arrays.
    Mum = 50% Irish, 50% Ukrainian
    Dad = 50% French Canadian, 50% English
    YDNA = R M269 -> DF27 -> CTS4065 (SW France; ~1000BC)
    mtDNA = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fostert For This Useful Post:

JJBoogie (Today)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Geborgenheit View Post
    1.8% could mean a distant ancestor or nothing at all.
    Exactly!