Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Royalty SNP Connections

My dna test:
    James I (1566-1625) => R1b-L21 (Y-DNA):------------137 + MATCHES.***
    Charles I (1600-1649) => T2 (mtDNA) ; R1b-L21 (Y-DNA)----10 + MATCHES.***
    Charles II (1630-1685) => H (mtDNA) ; R1b-L21 (Y-DNA)---50 + MATCHES.***
    James II (1633-1701) => H (mtDNA) ; R1b-L21 (Y-DNA)
    Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh => H (mtDNA) ; R1b (Y-DNA)
    Charles, Prince of Wales => R1b (Y-DNA)
    William, Prince of Wales => R1b (Y-DNA)

312 haplotype pre-l-21.I have many matches.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gael
    Nationality
    Éireanach
    Y-DNA
    R1b-DF41
    mtDNA
    U4d3

Ireland
    It's fairly certain that James I, Charles I, Charles II and James II were L744+/L745+/L746+ -- the Duke of Buccleuch (descended from illegitimate son of Charles II -- James Scott 1st Duke of Monmouth, 1st Duke of Buccleuch) was tested by Scotlands' DNA, who was a match of one of Stewarts of Appin lineage (which descend from Alexander Stewart, 4th High Steward of Scotland d. 1283) who was likewise L744+/L745+/L746+

So unless you have a test for any of Stewart cluster SNP's under DF41 than you won't have a recent match:

http://www.ytree.net/DisplayTree.php...=85&star=false
    (R1b-DF41+)
    (MtDNA: U4d3)

How to pronounce my username (modern Irish):
    Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubhthach For This Useful Post:

rms2 (03-01-2016)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    American/mutt
    Y-DNA
    R Z15,downstreamU106

Hi! I'm new here, but in tracing my lines, the royalty of England, Scotland, Wales, France Spain and Portugal all married for status, or gain, and there are different nationality royalty throughout. My lines make my head spin, with all the twists and turns.

Could someone help me I am not a linear decendant in any line except one that deadend in 1600's in Maine, but tracing back I have found relation to the planetagens, French and Spanish kings, and just recently Scottish early kings, the Kenneth alpin line. And also welsh kings. Now my question is that all looks nice on paper, but without a linear DNA line, how can I prove genetically that I am related to the kings of Scotland? On one DNA area I meet the modal for King William the conqueror to the 6th, which means I'm related to him, thanks Tomas, my college genetics class was years ago!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R-A9434
    mtDNA
    U5b2b3b

England Scotland
    I'd urge people not to place too much reliance on origin-legends, mythology & hearsay. Several current historians & authors are casting extreme doubt on some of the basic tenets of Scotland's history. Sorry to bang on about this, but the Antrim-Argyll Dalriada legend is one such case, with some modern authors claiming movement and influence was actually from Argyll to Antrim. Clarkson's 'The Makers of Scotland' page 61 mentions that Fergus is first mentioned in 950 AD, and his exploits added retrospectively to earlier chronicles. In the same book, pages 86-7, Clarkson suggests that Ness was possibly Domangarts's father, but that a fictional Fergus was later given that honour. Pictish and Scottish king lists are notoriously difficult to unravel. Also, some 7th C docs were added to, hundreds of years later, to validate the claims of various rulers. One has to wonder at the motives of these later scribes.

Individuals, such as Duncan and Crinan, have histories that are particularly difficult to fathom. However, that doesn't prevent numerous people claiming links to them. Somerled is another whose true roots require some unravelling!

Over the years I've been contacted by a number of people claiming a link back to the 15th C. When I ask for their tree, I usually find that they've made a giant leap of faith in the early 1700s, and that their line can't be traced back with any degree of certainty. A number of British monarchs had homosexual tendencies and one has to wonder if they fathered any of their reputed offspring, or was a willing and discreet courtier's services utilised? One example: James I reputedly had a thing for the Duke of Buckingham.

On a different tack, take William the Conqueror: Sweden, Norway & Denmark have all laid claim to him. Until his PROVEN dna is analysed, we may never know his true origins.

Sorry to be cynical, but I think we all seek the truth. I believe it's essential to try & encourage greater accuracy & less reliance on mythology & erroneous Googled nonsense. Read what various experts have to say, but bear in mind they don't always know everything. Fortunately we can add DNA to the mix!
    Last edited by castle3; 03-01-2016 at 01:21 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to castle3 For This Useful Post:

Peter MacDonald (03-02-2016)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    American/mutt
    Y-DNA
    R Z15,downstreamU106

Accidental double post!
    Last edited by Tomas455; 03-01-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    American/mutt
    Y-DNA
    R Z15,downstreamU106

My line and DNA proof

Yes I agree with you, a lot is taken on heresay, I am trying to confirm through DNA, that the lines that is proven, with a great amount of documentation, is in fact true. Also agree, one king was killed by his wife and her lover with a hot poker up the keister!, make you wonder if he was also chuckholded with someone else child? What I am looking for is hard science DNA confirmation. As I said the lines are very well documented through historical documents, that's the difference when it gets to the nobility, there are records of them, where records of commoners are scares until mainly the church start keeping records, which seem to be around the 1600-1700. I have only one place where I feel there is clarifying proof needed. I am just trying to figure how I can prove with DNA when it is not a unbroken direct yDNA line? Any help? Tomas

I was really shocked when I started unraveling my multiple lines, and found that once you get to the nobility, there were many marriages that had special dispensation before marriage due to the closeness, of relatives, have seen some annulled for the same reason. A great many, I would almost say towards a hundred percent of marriage of nobility was across nations, and families for strictly political and financial gains. So my lines have with historical documentation, crossed several countries., and all land in the very upper echelon of nobility. I am a sceptic naturally, so I want hard scientific proof, rather than just written proof.
    Last edited by Tomas455; 03-01-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Adding

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Nationality
    American/mutt
    Y-DNA
    R Z15,downstreamU106

Oh , and I am not arguing with you, but there are also revisionist writers out there who for one reason or another want to change history, or some parts. Now just because it is written by someone, even with impeccable credentials, does not make it factual and true. A person has to use their intellect, and see the hard facts, backing up the assumption, not just blindly believing the assumptions, now matter how well they fit.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas455 For This Useful Post:

Peter MacDonald (03-02-2016)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    As Dubhthach mentioned a few posts back, the y-dna line of the Royal House of Stewart has been firmly established, and it is P312>L21>DF13>Z39589>DF41>S775>L746.

Richard Scott, the 10th Duke of Buccleuch, a y-dna line descendant of Charles II, tested positive for those SNPs with ScotlandsDNA. He also matches a descendant of Charles Stewart of Ardshiel, who fought at the Battle of Culloden. At this point quite a few other members of the royal Stewart line have been shown to carry the same set of SNPs.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Romilius (03-01-2016)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R-A9434
    mtDNA
    U5b2b3b

England Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas455 View Post
    Yes I agree with you, a lot is taken on heresay, I am trying to confirm through DNA, that the lines that is proven, with a great amount of documentation, is in fact true. Also agree, one king was killed by his wife and her lover with a hot poker up the keister!, make you wonder if he was also chuckholded with someone else child? What I am looking for is hard science DNA confirmation. As I said the lines are very well documented through historical documents, that's the difference when it gets to the nobility, there are records of them, where records of commoners are scares until mainly the church start keeping records, which seem to be around the 1600-1700. I have only one place where I feel there is clarifying proof needed. I am just trying to figure how I can prove with DNA when it is not a unbroken direct yDNA line? Any help? Tomas

I was really shocked when I started unraveling my multiple lines, and found that once you get to the nobility, there were many marriages that had special dispensation before marriage due to the closeness, of relatives, have seen some annulled for the same reason. A great many, I would almost say towards a hundred percent of marriage of nobility was across nations, and families for strictly political and financial gains. So my lines have with historical documentation, crossed several countries., and all land in the very upper echelon of nobility. I am a sceptic naturally, so I want hard scientific proof, rather than just written proof.
    Your attempts to match DNA to an accurate paper trail does you credit, Tomas. Good luck with your search.
    Last edited by castle3; 03-01-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast