Thread: Cultural Appropriation

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    u2b2 gonur;swat

Cultural Appropriation

What's your take on it? I am ready to read essays, no-worries.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-S1051 9919-A
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1e

Canada United States of America United Kingdom France Ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post
    What's your take on it? I am ready to read essays, no-worries.
    I'll keep it simple and to the point. Now in a more civilized age "Cultural Appropriation" is considered an insult (taking beliefs, traditions etc and commercializing or misusing). In older civilizations it was a practice which helped create cohesion and absorb the new culture. The Ancient Romans were experts at this and IMO it's part of the reason they expanded so well and maintained the new territory that was gained. When they took over a country, region, culture, tribe etc they usually adopted the local gods or traditions (if not adopted then allowed) as long as they didn't incite or cause civil disobedience.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to George Chandler For This Useful Post:

Batroun (02-23-2018),  evon (12-19-2019),  MikeWhalen (02-23-2018),  Souriquois (12-15-2019),  surbakhunWeesste (02-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

I think that cultural appropriation IS an issue but it's an overused and abused term. For example, people will say that wearing a kimono is cultural appropriation if it doesn't belong to your culture, but that simply isn't true. Cultural appropriation means disrespecting aspects of another person's culture.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bonfirepumpkins For This Useful Post:

Souriquois (12-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S1954
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c
    Y-DNA (M)
    J-P58
    mtDNA (P)
    H4a

Canada Acadia Canada Newfoundland and Labrador Basque Canada Quebec United States Zuni Pueblo
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfirepumpkins View Post
    I think that cultural appropriation IS an issue but it's an overused and abused term. For example, people will say that wearing a kimono is cultural appropriation if it doesn't belong to your culture, but that simply isn't true. Cultural appropriation means disrespecting aspects of another person's culture.
    I was about to say this. It’s overused for sure. I would argue more that it’s not just disrespecting, but making money off someone else’s culture as well. It’s more nuanced than discussions of it are online, where you have one side wanting to take everything from another culture and that nothing is disrespectful, and another side that pretty much wants no cultural exchange at all.
    Last edited by Souriquois; 12-15-2019 at 06:46 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-Z17954>Z17926
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e1a

France Germany
    Everyone has their own culture.

Too much cultural appropriation kills cultures.
    FTDNA => 67 % West and Central Europe - 18 % South Europe - 14 % East Europe - < 1 % North and Central America

V2 K15 (Average France) => North Sea : 27.46 (28.25) - Atlantic : 21.26 (26.05) - West Med : 19.05 (15.53) - Baltic : 9.17 (8.22) - Eastern Euro : 8.80 (6.32) - West Asian : 6.31 (4.66) - East Med : 4.85 (6.72) - Red Sea : 2.08 (2.83) - Amerindian : 1.02 (0.20)